ZX9R B - Speedo overreading 15%

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

ZX9R B - Speedo overreading 15%

Postby Loz » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:59 pm

I wonder if anyone has any advice on this - 115kmh on the clock is about a true 100kmh, verified by one of those radar speed check things on the Geelong road.

That's pretty bloody crap if you ask me, even if it makes you feel better about yourself when you're doing your mental maths from the recommended corner speed signs in the twisties.

The speedo reads off the front wheel on the 9RB. Is this sort of error level common? Is there any way to adjust the output or fix this problem - or do you guys just live with it?
Loz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby Rossi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:03 pm

Don't trust the radar check to be accurate........ask Neka :roll:
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Rossi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Re: ZX9R B - Speedo overreading 15%

Postby Strika » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:54 pm

Loz wrote:I wonder if anyone has any advice on this - 115kmh on the clock is about a true 100kmh, verified by one of those radar speed check things on the Geelong road.

That's pretty bloody crap if you ask me, even if it makes you feel better about yourself when you're doing your mental maths from the recommended corner speed signs in the twisties.

The speedo reads off the front wheel on the 9RB. Is this sort of error level common? Is there any way to adjust the output or fix this problem - or do you guys just live with it?

Rossi is right, those radar speed checking devices are a tad innaccurate at times. Most times my 9 reads around +7%. However, I have had it read variations of -3% to +15%.

However, assuming it was accurate, it is possible that the previous owner has already dropped a tooth off the front or added a few to the rear!!! Check out what the ycame with standard before you make an gestimate as to it's accuracy. Alternatively, speed through a speed camera and find out what speed they book you for!!!!! :lol:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby Loz » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:54 am

Heh.

I don't think the gearing would make a difference - the speedo reads from the front wheel, not the countershaft sprocket, so the back wheel could totally spin itself up for all the speedo reader cares.
Nekkid Niner.
Loz
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby photomike666 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:15 am

Normally speedo's run a few % higher from new, perhaps your cable/drive gear is a little worn?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Strika » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:58 pm

Loz wrote:Heh.

I don't think the gearing would make a difference - the speedo reads from the front wheel, not the countershaft sprocket, so the back wheel could totally spin itself up for all the speedo reader cares.

Yes my mistake, I havn't had a front wheel equipped speedo drive on a bike for a while :oops: My 95 6 has no speedo, and the 9 runs off the sprocket. My oops!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby z900/zx9 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:22 pm

Bad strika naugty strika pay attension in class :shock: Now go to the corner until teacher says u can come out :P
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion