ZX12R's through the years

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

Postby Benno » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:12 pm

I have had the pleasure of having to ride my 10 as a daily commuter thanks to some lovely lady reversing into my car a few weeks ago. It's not the most comfortable, but getting to work has never been more fun :lol:

For the commute, I'd go definitely a sports tourer. 9's look slightly dated, but other than that, fill what you're looking for perfectly Stereo. Get a 12 if you plan on your rides being less frequent, or you're not worried about fuel consumption. People brag about the power of the 12, but I doubt you'll ever use it to its full potential.
Vespa!
Benno
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter
State: Victoria

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:43 am

Well this thread certainly has produced some *interesting* information. :shock:

Stereo - A 12R can be as relaxing as you like. It does use a bit more juice than most bikes, and tyre wear can be an issue as well, but if you are not commuting daily, then it may not be such a problem. Try and get a ride on Smitty's if you can, this will help you decide if its the bike for you.

OK, now I might add my own 2-bobs worth about some of the coments made in this thread........

1. Ask yourselves this - can you tour on your ZX6R, or your ZX9R, or even your ZX10R ??? Of course you fucking can. I guess that makes all these bikes "sports-tourers" as well !!! :roll: FFS you can sports-tour on a posty bike if you want to. The 'R' designation in the name actually does indicate that the model in question is a sports-bike. This is why there is no 'R' in the ZX14 - it actually IS a sports-tourer. (Lower pegs, wider, higher bars, comfy seat etc etc.) If anyone has ever tested a 14 then got straight back onto a 12, you would know *exactly* what the difference is between a sports-bike and a sports-tourer....

2. Its a ZX12 R, not a ZX12. Whoever it was that said they ain't a sports bike clearly has not ridden one more than 5 minutes up and down their local suburb. Own one for 12 months, get out in the twisties, and then make an informed comment.

3. Someone also said "...put riders of equal ability on a ZX10R and a ZX12R and the ZX10R rider will win every time...." :roll: I don't know too much about that, but the reality for me, (being as humble as possible :oops: ), is that ANY bike that gets around EC in 1:50 is a goddamn sports bike. Full stop. With no traffic and slicks, I have no doubt the 12 is capable of mid 40's.....and I think our Site Founder will back me up here as well..........this is sports-bike times people.....If it was a big fat barge like so many would *like* to believe, then these times would not be possible for a B-grade gumby like myself :oops:

Now not every 12 owner out there will ever ride the bike to its full potential :shock: and that is very understandable :lol:. But some of us do it every day :P , and on the planet where I live, the 12R is most *definitely* a sports-bike. :twisted: :twisted: Just like a ZX6R, or a ZX9R, or a ZX10R........its a sports-bike that can tour.........its just bigger and faster than yours........thats all !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Get A Big Black 12 Up Ya !!!!"

:twisted:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby MickLC » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:16 pm

Yeah but if we can't stir you guys up by calling it a sportstourer, what else are we going to do? :roll: Pick on the wings? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I reckon in the hands of say Jamie Stauffer, the 10 would be quicker round a track like Eastern Creek than the 12...but there wouldn't be much in it.

In the hands of the rest of us gumbies, the rider would make more difference than the bike. Which is why I reckon the donutmobile was doing alright on Saturday.

...and anyway, a Goose is meant to have wings 8)
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000

Postby MadKaw » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:39 pm

ummm yes... I would have to say, in the right hands, the 12 is definately a capable sports bike. As Gos said, we were all on the flat 1:50 mark on Saturday and thats a pretty good time for any road bike. We were in the 2nd fastest group on the day and we were some of the quickest bikes in our group. On that basis there were 140 bikes there and Gos (and the rest of us) were quicker than at least 100 of em, probly more...
There were quite a number of R1's and gixxer 1000 that got carved up by the Kawasaki freight train.. (not within 6 feet though)
But, having said that, we didn't overtake any zx10's all day..
also, Watties z1000 (also considered not too sporty) was at the same pace as was my 13 year old 750... My old zx9 sports tourer got around there in 1:40... so what does it all mean...???

I guess it all comes down to the rider then.... and having the top end to blast past ppl down the straight, while us on the underpowered, overweight bikes of yesteryear have to time things a little better.. :-)

Anyway, as Mick said, we gotta have something to pick on, the Honda riders don't bite as well....
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Smitty » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:11 pm

Mick C wrote:Yeah but if we can't stir you guys up by calling it a sportstourer, what else are we going to do? :roll: Pick on the wings? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...naaaah

pick on mina
coz he thinks he is riding a sportsbike :shock:

:lol: :lol:
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:13 pm

Mick C wrote:Yeah but if we can't stir you guys up by calling it a sportstourer, what else are we going to do? :roll: Pick on the wings? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....

the wings !!! Princess reckons she took photos of a 12 rider who was scraping his *wings* FFS !!! :shock: one of the Qld guys (not sure if he is a member or not)......bloody hell, that is fanging.....

and if you pulled up on the sports-tourer stuff, then there would be nothing to rev Smitty about :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MadKaw wrote:.....and having the top end to blast past ppl down the straight, while us on the underpowered, overweight bikes of yesteryear have to time things a little better..

*snigger* and I only gave you the bird on the way past once mate !! :lol:

but yes, the top-end was impressive, its not that often that it has been fully used..........well, except for the odd straight down near Cathcart :shock: :lol: :lol: (and that was chasing those bloody sports-tourer ZX9R's, and *not* getting past them !! :x :wink: ). I can't recall any other ZX10R's in our class except for Nick's ?? Perhaps they were all in the A-group ?......

I'm gonna get back on topic for the benefit of Stereo - mate, as you can see, the mighty 12R is subject to a lot of comments, and once you have owned one and ridden and experienced the seamless *endless* power, well you will be as besotted as the rest of us who have bought one.

They are just really good fun, easy to ride, I think the best description I have heard is "....a bigger, faster, better-lookin' ZX9R...." .....which does sum them up pretty well.

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby MadKaw » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:49 pm

No Gos, there wasn't any 10's in our group.. probly why we didn't pass any. :wink: ... and Nick is a 636... :shock:

and I figured the finger was a return for the one I gave you after going up the inside of you into turn 9 then blocking you in behind a slow guy so you couldn't get me back up hill.. yeh, it was a fun day wasn't it... :-)

Sorry, back on topic.... For everyday use, I'd probly go the 9. Its comfy powerful enough and not too big. The 12 would do for longer trips but, for me, is a little too big for easy everday use... (although next to the 750, it looked quite compact... :-)).. just my 2 cents...
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Smitty » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:02 pm

Gosling1 wrote:
and if you pulled up on the sports-tourer stuff, then there would be nothing to rev Smitty about :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aw geez Gos
gotta have something to rev me up............. :lol:
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:13 pm

MadKaw wrote:No Gos, there wasn't any 10's in our group.. probly why we didn't pass any. :wink: ... and Nick is a 636... :shock:

:oops: none at all :shock: ....bugger.....

MadKaw wrote:....and I figured the finger was a return for the one I gave you after going up the inside of you into turn 9 then blocking you in behind a slow guy so you couldn't get me back up hill.. yeh, it was a fun day wasn't it... :-)...

hmm, its all coming back to me now..... :lol:

Can you imagine what racing in NE next year will be like ?? *Especially* when the F/E Unlimiteds get to mix it up with the NE boys ??

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Blue14 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:37 pm

Jonno wrote:
blue12 wrote:May i have my 2 cents worth please.. Well being the owner of one of the greatest bikes ever made i will tell you this. They are not a sports tourer, as a sports tourer wouldnt try and throw you off the back. Now if you havent owned one nor ridden one then you are so deprived its not funny. Now i have only ridden a handful of bikes, but when its all said and done the 12 is one awesome machine. I definately wouldnt use it as a commuter as they are thirsty and can chew the tyres up, but i know Gosling does use his daily. They are smooth and easy to ride, just respect the throttle and it will respect you.

That is pure love :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
as mentiond un-less you have owned one you can never comment on the 12 and be respected 8)
Oh yes, pure love Jonno.. :twisted:
07 ZX14 - How fast ?? As fast as i want to go !!
Blue14
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX14R

Postby ross79 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:56 pm

blue12 wrote:
Jonno wrote:
blue12 wrote:May i have my 2 cents worth please.. Well being the owner of one of the greatest bikes ever made i will tell you this. They are not a sports tourer, as a sports tourer wouldnt try and throw you off the back. Now if you havent owned one nor ridden one then you are so deprived its not funny. Now i have only ridden a handful of bikes, but when its all said and done the 12 is one awesome machine. I definately wouldnt use it as a commuter as they are thirsty and can chew the tyres up, but i know Gosling does use his daily. They are smooth and easy to ride, just respect the throttle and it will respect you.

That is pure love :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
as mentiond un-less you have owned one you can never comment on the 12 and be respected 8)
Oh yes, pure love Jonno.. :twisted:

Have to agree with most things that you said, except about the commuter part. Mine is a cummuter and tyres last over 10,000kms no probs (shinkos), so tyre wise I don't think they're that bad. Even fuel consumption is acceptable as i average around 6L/100km. I've ridden a few bikes but still haven't found anything better than the 12!
SOLD 2000 ZX12R .
ross79
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Suzuki

Postby Blue14 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:37 pm

Yeah i guess it depends on setups Ross as to how it performs. Mine is purely mapped for HP :twisted: and i have pilots as tyres.. But 10k from tyres ?? You must be kinder than me, and thats saying something. :wink:
07 ZX14 - How fast ?? As fast as i want to go !!
Blue14
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX14R

Postby hoffy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:03 pm

tyres on the 12 aint too bad, I have racked up 6k on a used rear pilot from Glen, thanks Glen, and I reckon it still has a good 2k in it. The tyres on my old ZRX didn't last as long, probably because I was more ham fisted on it trying to get it to go quick.
On the 12 its a case of wax on throttle, wax off throttle..aahhhhhh! :lol:
smooth is good, and is nice to tyres !
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

Postby ninjabob » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:52 pm

Had a ZX9 F2 and loved it. Bought the 2006 ZX12 and really love it. Put a good pipe and PC on them and there good for 180+ rwhp. Needs a bit more muscle through the bends than the 9 but still keep up with anyone in the twisties on the road - as soon as the road straightens its bye bye to all but the fastest of the modern sports bikes.

How does the 190 tyre affect the speedo calibration?
ninjabob

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:02 pm

ninjabob wrote:....How does the 190 tyre affect the speedo calibration?

It doesn't, to the best of my knowledge. Its only a gearing change that will affect the speedo.....but if you have a 190-section rear on, you already know how much better the steering is..... :twisted:

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

PreviousNext

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion