ZX-12R Clutch questions

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

ZX-12R Clutch questions

Postby ross79 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Just wondering if anyone has put a muzzy clutch kit in their 12 or had to replace their clutch? If so what was the cost? I got quoted $1,589 for a muzzy clutch kit from Dynoverks :shock: I think the complete gearbox would be cheaper than that. If I need one I'll order it from the U.S. anyway.
I know the clutch baskets are pretty weak on the 2000 models so I'm getting a little worried about mine.
I did the regular oil & filter change last night and noticed a few little metal fragments in the oil. Also when I went to fill the oil up, there appeared to be a section missing on the clutch basket. I have to have a look at another 12 to confirm this.
It's running great but gears feel a little more clunky than usual, but I'm getting no clutch slip. Any ideas?
SOLD 2000 ZX12R .
ross79
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Suzuki
State: Victoria

Postby FrogZ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:39 pm

There was a yank fuelled rumour getting around about 12's having weak clutches. But according to easyrider from zx12r.org (and i would trust him) it had more to do with ppl doing repeated strip runs without letting the bike cool between. NOTHING will stand up to that, eventually repeated full power launches are going to make it slip.
There was a mod that pumped more oil into the plates (that looked pretty easy from memory) on the site, a search there would find it. There was also a LOT of info on it that all seemed to counter the other (as per the norm there) but the oil mod did seem warranted if you did repeated drag launches. LOT of ppl on there running heavily modded bikes with std clutches but (if you can beleive septics).

I have to admit I dont know about the early ones, but unless you are really hard on it (why?), have a HEAVILY bombed motor or there are reasons to suspect damage (not a design fault) then it is prob in your head. Dont forget the amount of time the clutch is actually in use. once its out it is all locked up and 12's dont really need clutch slip to get em rolling or pop the front up :wink:
It doesnt look too hard (I havent done it) to drop the clutch cover off to have a sticky beak anyway. After 6 years the plates very well COULD be worn but not from a design fault IMHO. For piece of mind go for a look, check plates for wear, rivets in the bottom and for scallops up hte basket sides. Go to zx12r.org and search clutch checking, replacement.

And dont try to get a slipper clutch for one, NO ONE makes em, NO ONE.
STC in Italy were not even interested in looking to see how different a ZX10R one was (they DO them) to modify.
Just because you CAN ride, doesn't mean you SHOULD
FrogZ
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Smitty » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:27 pm

...as Frog sez

but I should add..it is normal to get little bits of stuff
in the oil ..when you do a change

every car/bike/mower that I have ever done an engine or gearbox
(or both) oil change on, has spat out bits...bits of carbon, gasket material
clutch material, timing chain guide rubbish...you get it all the time

small bits..normal..BIG BITS :evil:
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Nanna10r » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:49 am

Hammer Toasted the clutch on his 12 if memory serves. I heard it's the soft bit of the design.
"Nan & Pop Racing"
Poppy Hops on .... CBR150 (Superlite) CBR954 "Blade"
Nanna Naps on .... MoriWAKI NSR85 (Motolite) ZX10R "Crim"
We may ride like Old Can'ts, But Phuk we look DOOG !!!!!!
Nanna10r
Team Ninja

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Postby ross79 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:58 am

Thanks for the info frogz, will do a search on zx12-r.org. The oil mod sounds like the only thing the muzzy kit has done to it anyway. I'm pretty easy on my bike as it's my only mode of transport. As with all my previous cars, I still want to hit the strip on the 12 just to see what it does.

Smitty, the stuff in my oil are a few shiny silver metal fragments, with a couple bits the size of a shrivled bean, hence my concern. I know about the usual carbon type stuff as I've always done oil changes on all my previous cars, and my parent's vehicles.
SOLD 2000 ZX12R .
ross79
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Suzuki

Postby paul-s » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:12 pm

the basket is weak for dragstrip runs or banging gears.muzzy welds the rivets.i went mtc-then used the muzzy drilled hub and sleeve.850.00 us total.http://www.mtceng.com/index.htm
paul-s

Postby Rumbles » Mon May 07, 2007 8:55 pm

my 05 12r had the clutch shaft replaced at 6000km still under warranty but according to kwaka oz it was the only one so far to be replaced on 12r under warranty but other than that ive had no dramas with it and ive dragraced it plenty and i flog the guts out of it on the road :twisted:
Rumbles
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Gosling1 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:11 pm

Rumbles wrote:my 05 12r had the clutch shaft replaced at 6000km still under warranty but according to kwaka oz it was the only one so far to be replaced on 12r under warranty but other than that ive had no dramas with it and ive dragraced it plenty and i flog the guts out of it on the road :twisted:

you've done about 7k so far on this 12 right ? and owned it since new ?

What sort of times are you getting from the drag's ? Are you still using the stock chain or has that also been replaced already ?

My 05 model has racked up over 31,000km in well under 2 years, only done one track day and no drag racing, but I am bit of a woose when it comes to flogging my bike, so having to replace a clutch shaft at 6000km sounds a bit worrying :shock: :shock: .

Maybe your riding technique needs some tweaking ??

:D
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Glen » Tue May 08, 2007 8:37 am

Do Muzzy still include the pink handlebar streamers and the little dolly basket with their 12r clutch kits :P :P :P
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby hoffy » Tue May 08, 2007 11:57 am

Glen wrote:Do Muzzy still include the pink handlebar streamers and the little dolly basket with their 12r clutch kits :P :P :P

yes, but it doesn't come with the leopard print assless chaps, thats only comes in ther ZX10R kit 8)
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

Postby MickLC » Tue May 08, 2007 12:31 pm

hoffy wrote:
Glen wrote:Do Muzzy still include the pink handlebar streamers and the little dolly basket with their 12r clutch kits :P :P :P

yes, but it doesn't come with the leopard print assless chaps, thats only comes in ther ZX10R kit 8)

Oi! I didn't get my assless leather chaps when I got my 10! Lucky you lent me some of your's Hoffy 8)
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby chuffed » Tue May 08, 2007 12:33 pm

I spoke to lae about a muzzy kit and was told that there is nothing weak about the clutch setup and not to bother, though as soon as it starts to slip Replace/repair straight away, dont let it go. I know that Ronnie Stayt raced his 12 with a standard clutch for years without replacing it, and when he did he only got 12mths out of the aftermarket one.
weiloilbeefhooked
chuffed
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby hoffy » Tue May 08, 2007 2:33 pm

Mick C wrote:
hoffy wrote:

Lucky you lent me some of your's Hoffy 8)

funny ha ha.........ha.. :?

did you burst a brain vessel coming up with that one......
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Postby MickLC » Tue May 08, 2007 3:00 pm

hoffy wrote:
Mick C wrote:
hoffy wrote:

Meowwww easy tiger, bit of a raw nerve there? I promise I haven't stained them or anything.
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby Glen » Tue May 08, 2007 3:22 pm

Mick C wrote:
hoffy wrote:
Mick C wrote:
hoffy wrote:

Meowwww easy tiger, bit of a raw nerve there? I promise I haven't stained them or anything.

Better make sure you've got them back in time for the Mardi Gras mate. He wants them for the ZX12 owners float
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Next

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion