ER-6 TEST RIDE and EVALUATION

Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!

Postby NovaCoder » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:43 pm

Stereo wrote:Sorry to post so many times in a row....

Gosling1 wrote:The model was the ER6-F, being the model with the 1/2 fairing.

but isnt the bikini fairing bike an ER6-N.....

That's stretching the definition of the term 'bikini fairing' a bit :D
Motorcycle's are inherently unstable... :twisted:

Race #87 - Blog
NovaCoder
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:43 pm

Pontikat wrote:... So frame worked well im not fussed on the offset rear shock ?.....

yes, it felt very solid. The position of the shock is a bit *strange*, being offset as it is, but the swingarm bracing looks plenty solid, so it all works nice.....

The RF900 was often reported in the bike press as one of the most underrated bikes of the 90's.......it was a bit ugly, but *apparently* did everything really well........

Stereo wrote:.....you cant expect a 650 twin to take off like a 12 does...

Agreed. I wasn't actually taking off when it stalled. After stopping at a couple of sets of lights, and just sitting there, gave the throttle a quick 'blip', and she just stalled.........it was a bit strange really, considering that it is fuel injected :? No problems taking off :wink: No stalling then...... :twisted:

It was the faired model, not the naked model. I will have another look at the demo bike at the dealers, I am sure it was fitted with a top-half fairing only ?? It definitely was not the naked model.

And it would not be too hard to lower this bike for those out there with duck's disease......it felt like it had *shitloads* of clearance, so dropping the forks and lowering the rear end shouldn't hurt cornering clearance too much, and let you get your feet on the deck......

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby ttc » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:54 pm

we have a screen and aftermarket pretty bits to go on the er6 demo.

one of them is a micron pipe.. we think it'll sound the goods and give it much more personality :D
ttc
Team Black

Bike: Z1000
State: Queensland

Postby z900/zx9 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:29 pm

After that report i can see mizz zzr spewing from here :shock: its just a bit too tall still :cry: If someone ever works out how to get it low enough they will have a freind for life :D
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby ttc » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:20 am

lowering links are about $200 :)
ttc
Team Black

Postby Strika » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:33 am

tanyathecheeky wrote:lowering links are about $200 :)

The rear shock is cantilever isn't it??? mounted directly to the swingarm and subframe isn't it?????? I think lowering links would be dificult to mount?????? :wink:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:29 pm

Strika wrote:
tanyathecheeky wrote:lowering links are about $200 :)

The rear shock is cantilever isn't it??? mounted directly to the swingarm and subframe isn't it?????? I think lowering links would be dificult to mount?????? :wink:

dead right mate, the only way to lower the rear on one of these babies would be using a shorter shock altogether.....no linkages in sight on an ER6....

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby ttc » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:41 pm

shows exactly how much notice I have taken of them :D

when you're surrounded by zx6,s zx10,s, and zed thou's the other bikes just dont get looked at :lol:

but thanks for the heads up :)
ttc
Team Black

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:44 pm

no worries mate :wink: heh you really should take the demo for a ride, if you have a demo up there, they are a surprising little package....

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Tones » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:16 pm

Great report Gos. I think the mention of the stalling would be very much due to what you are used too. I find when I ride a smaller capacity bike from what I am used too I tend to over compensate by giving it too many revs on a take off as am so used to the greater torque. That being said many riders of torquey bikes tend to steer more with throttle and learn to use that to their advantage due to increased weight etc. By throttle control I am not talking about power slidding, just using the throttle to stand the bike up out of a corner and to use throttle as flipping throu twisties etc. How did you find the throttle control and steering relationship? Other than being lighter and flickerable, did it feel steady and hold line easily?

I was of the impression this bike was also aimed at the lower seat height market which is really growing. I get so many clients wanting sports bikes with low seat heights, or if the seat is over 790 mm for it to be narrow. The only choices for many is to get a cruiser, or stuff with the suspension to lower it. I hate lowering suspension due to the problems and compromises that usually come as a result. Manufacters spend a lot of dollars on steering geometry, suspension travel etc. As many people know suspension is something that will always be talked about. For me there are only a few people I would trust that know their shit well enough to make something work, or be of a minimal comprimise. So many sales people are so quick to mention that the "mechanics" can lower the bike for you. It seems to me that kwaka could have gone a bit further on making this bike appeal to a growing market segment. I know Australia is only about 3% of the total world motorcycle market. I dont know what % Japan is but wouldnt it be great to make a big for the average height Japanese person? With the rising cost of fuels world wide the bike market is growing, and that means pevious "smaller" segments of the market, are growing and diversifying.

Anyway I am rambling...lol Point is sounds like a great bike, with a new direction in styling. My observation is that it could be improved upon for shorter riders.

Cheers
Tones
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Lainie » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:28 pm

Tones wrote:Anyway I am rambling...lol Point is sounds like a great bike, with a new direction in styling. My observation is that it could be improved upon for shorter riders.
Cheers

Ya think :? ? and yes bigger bikes for short people :D :D :D
Lainie
Team Ninja

Bike: ER6
State: Victoria

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:56 pm

Tones wrote:Great report Gos. I think the mention of the stalling would be very much due to what you are used too. I find when I ride a smaller capacity bike from what I am used too I tend to over compensate by giving it too many revs on a take off as am so used to the greater torque.

I just need to clear this point up - it wasn't stalling as I was trying to ride off from the lights, there were no problems with that. (I was givin' it the beejesus mate....). The stalling occurred while I was *stationary*, and just waiting for the lights to turn green.........I gave it a slight *blip* on the throttle, and it just died.... :? it seemed a bit strange for a brand-new bike.....

Tones wrote:.... How did you find the throttle control and steering relationship? Other than being lighter and flickerable, did it feel steady and hold line easily?

Yes, it was very steady and held its line easily. I think it would benefit from from stickier tyres if you were going to ride it more 'sports' than 'commuter...... :wink: . This rig is a bit small and underpowered for a *relationship* between throttle and steering....... :lol: , well it does have one of course, but it is only a 600 twin after all ..... :lol:

Tones wrote:...I was of the impression this bike was also aimed at the lower seat height market which is really growing.... My observation is that it could be improved upon for shorter riders.

Cheers

You are spot-on.......it could have been improved for shorter riders, I think someone else pointed out that Kawasaki have made a *big* deal of the seat-height for this model......the reality is that it is *OK* for short-ish riders, but the seat height should probably have been 50mm lower....
Glad you liked the report mate...

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Tones » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:08 pm

Gosling1 wrote:
Tones wrote:Great report Gos. I think the mention of the stalling would be very much due to what you are used too. I find when I ride a smaller capacity bike from what I am used too I tend to over compensate by giving it too many revs on a take off as am so used to the greater torque.

I just need to clear this point up - it wasn't stalling as I was trying to ride off from the lights, there were no problems with that. (I was givin' it the beejesus mate....). The stalling occurred while I was *stationary*, and just waiting for the lights to turn green.........I gave it a slight *blip* on the throttle, and it just died.... :? it seemed a bit strange for a brand-new bike.....

Ahhh...yeps I got ya now. I miss understood, now see what you mean about the injection possibly, or the tune/throttle pos sensor etc maybe needing some adjustment. Generally the dealer may refer to it as "still being tight" which is often "we may need to fine tune this one a bit"

Cheers mate
Tones
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:17 pm

Tones wrote:.... Generally the dealer may refer to it as "still being tight" which is often "we may need to fine tune this one a bit"...

It was weird, because it only happened at 2 sets of lights, and 1 stop sign..........and I went through about 8 sets of lights, a couple of stops signs plus a couple of complete stops at give-way signs......just strange...

Heh had a look at any new FJR's lately ?? :wink: :P

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Tones » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:23 pm

Gosling1 wrote:Heh had a look at any new FJR's lately ?? :wink: :P

8)

Hmmmmm......niiiiiccccccccccceeeee.

My eyes are looking, but the wallet aint walletting!!!! lol

I wonder if the staintunes and bagster are interchangeable????

Cheers mate
Tones
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Z, ZRX, ER6 & other nakeds