77 Z400. Intake Boot Screws.

Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!

77 Z400. Intake Boot Screws.

Postby DJC72 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:22 am

Hi all, just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on getting these screws out without stripping them. I have put some CRC on them and have had a go at them with the impact screwdriver but can’t seem to budge them. The intake boots are shot and I need to replace them. Because the boots are there I can’t seem to get the CRC into them. Should I try to grind a bit of the boot away between the boot and the motor? Also the impact screwdriver is no good for the inner screws due to hitting on the frame (access).
Thanks in advance. Deano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJC72

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Victoria

Re: 77 Z400. Intake Boot Screws.

Postby BrettZZR » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:54 pm

When you say "impact screwdriver" do you mean one of these or air/electric?
I have found these to be excellent with Phillips heads, and the "use a bigger hammer" mantra works with them!
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Postby DJC72 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:05 pm

BrettZZR wrote:When you say "impact screwdriver" do you mean one of these or air/electric?
I have found these to be excellent with Phillips heads, and the "use a bigger hammer" mantra works with them!

Yep that’s what I’ve got Brett but I can’t get to the inner screws because the frame is in the way even with the air box removed.

DJC72

Postby BrettZZR » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Bummer.

Can you drill, grind or file the head off? The stud will then come out easily, and you can replace with SS capscrews...
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby DJC72 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:53 pm

BrettZZR wrote:Bummer.

Can you drill, grind or file the head off? The stud will then come out easily, and you can replace with SS capscrews...

Thanks Brett,
I’m thinking you may be onto something there. I reckon I could easily get the 4” inch grinder in there. Once the boots are off I could spend some time spaying with CRC and leave it for a bit before getting the vice grips on I suppose.

I did get the right side outer screw out using the impact screwdriver. Once it freed it was fine.

Thanks mate

DJC72

Postby BrettZZR » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:16 am

You should find that once the boot is off the stud is no longer under any tension/friction and will turn right out. Often when drilling a head off, before it actually comes off, when the 'meat' of the head is that thin the head deforms upwards, unloading it and then grabbing the head with pliers gets it out. If you have serious corrosion, you may need to do as you have described.

Good luck - let us know how you go.
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Ashy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:40 am

Anti clockwise drill bit.
Ashy
Ashy

Bike: ZXR750
State: Overseas

Postby DJC72 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:28 pm

BrettZZR wrote:You should find that once the boot is off the stud is no longer under any tension/friction and will turn right out. Often when drilling a head off, before it actually comes off, when the 'meat' of the head is that thin the head deforms upwards, unloading it and then grabbing the head with pliers gets it out. If you have serious corrosion, you may need to do as you have described.

Good luck - let us know how you go.

I will. Thanks Brett.

DJC72

Postby Kwakked Up » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Give the screws a good belt with a punch then try screwdriver. If you cant get the impact drive in you can sometimes get it by belting the screwdriver and turning at sametime. Even better if you have a screwdriver witth steel shaft all the way through.
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Bart179 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:57 pm

If you can get a grinder in there, then you can also try and grind a 'slot' into the heads of the screws. Then you may get greater grip by way of a normal screw driver rather than a phillips head. I used that trick on my race car.
Bart179

Bike: Z750
State: Queensland

Postby DJC72 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 am

Bart179 wrote:If you can get a grinder in there, then you can also try and grind a 'slot' into the heads of the screws. Then you may get greater grip by way of a normal screw driver rather than a phillips head. I used that trick on my race car.

Thanks Bart. That’s an option as well.

DJC72

Return to Z, ZRX, ER6 & other nakeds