Switch to full style
Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!
Post a reply

So I went for a ride ...

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:02 pm

So I went for a ride with people who ride a variety of bikes. Most of us have ridden together before.
I really enjoyed it until somebody ploughed into the back of my bike at a STOP sign.

I had STOPPED at the STOP sign, looked for traffic, saw it was clear, and was just turning on to the highway, when I was rear-ended. I fell, bike and all, and had bike and body damage.

My bike was picked up with the help of witnesses, it started after a while.

I managed to ride home Ok.

Damage, as per these pics: Click.

In the hands of the insurance companies now.
I only recently put the full Akrapovic on, and had the top-end reconditioned.
I have had this bike since 2001, always looked after it.
A new can may be hard to get.
Crash knobs came in handy!

Insurance wants to write it off, but their quote includes an OEM exhaust system (they don't listen), a new tank (minor scratch), a rear shock (not even damaged) an OEM fairing screen (overpriced), and so on.

All I want is a replacement Powerbronze screen, and an Akrapovic muffler to match my full system, but they are hard to find.
Does anyone have a line on one of these?

Bill.

Re: So I went for a ride ...

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:18 pm

Bummer! Reinforces my reluctance to ride with people I don't know.
Hope you get it sorted!

BTW: You weren't at the Paul Kelly concert on the ZX12 were you?

(-8

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:32 pm

No, wasn't me. I no longer have my ZX12R, btw. That one now belongs to one of my offspring.

It re-inforces my reluctance to ride with people. I know the faarker, he's been on many of our rides. I think he's a bit myopic.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:34 pm

Sourced what I need from the UK, a mob called CalSport.

They can supply either a full Ti can, or a resleeve kit.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:22 am

This bike has now been sitting at the Kawi dealer since the start of December. QBE insists that a Kawi dealer has to fix it (warranty and other reasons). The dealer is waiting on parts still (eg an indicator) before they start repairs.
:twisted:

Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Fark me Bill. I was lucky on my spill. I had a sympathetic dealer that supplied me the parts to do the job myself. (they got paid for labour though) That way I got to keep the old parts and the new parts were installed carefully to my satisfaction. I even had to disassemble a fork leg to replace the lower. :shock:

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:57 pm

I tried for that, but the kaarnts won't hear of it. They will give me the old parts when they're done.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:41 pm

After almost 4 months, the Rex is back on the road!
It took so long, because:

- The insurance mob took a month to decide what, where and when, and they needed a Xmas break during that.
- They insisted I take it to a Kawi dealer (for warranty purposes).
- The Kawi dealer took 6 weeks to replace 2 indicators, gear shift lever, rider's footpeg (LHS), passenger foot peg and hanger (LHS) (Waiting for parts from Japan).
- I had to source my own replacement fairing screen, and exhaust bits.
- I had to source my own body shop, which did an excellent job of fixing my plastics, the dent on my tank, and a respray.
- I bought a re-sleeve kit for my Akro pipe. I didn't know at the time that the internal baffle had been bent along with the original sleeve. Being made out of titanium, it took a while to (sort of) straighten, repack and refit.

IMHO the foot pegs and gear shift lever didn't need replacing. No wonder insurance premiums are so high. Originally they quoted $8000 for the job (which included a new OEM exhaust system, a set of shockies (why), part of the fairing frame (I bent it back in to shape, took 1 minute), and more.

Anyway:

I lost the Akro sticker somewhere in the process. I might just leave it as is.

:D
Post a reply