ZRX Ohlins Diving

Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!

ZRX Ohlins Diving

Postby adza » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi all,
Gotta question for all you guys with ohlins on your ZRX's. I've had mine on for a year now and i'm starting to get a bit of dive on the front end upon braking,more than i had when new. It's had a few wheelstands done especially since i fitted the ZZR motor in it which also makes it a different beast but thats another story.
Not being an expert on fork adjustment i was wondering which of the adjusters on these forks might i use to help with problem ?.
Cheers adza
adza

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Re: ZRX Ohlins Diving

Postby Nelso » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:45 pm

I've only had mine for a month, so I can't comment on what they are like after a year, but I would think the springs would settle a bit over time and your fork oil could need a change if you've put a few k's on them and given them a workout. Has your static/rider sag changed since you fitted them up?
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby adza » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi Nelso,
Maybe its the weight of that Kerker you sold me, But i figured it balanced out by the lighter wallet LOL. :D
Static sag still feels ok and yeah maybe i should do an oil change but i thought i'd play with the clickers a bit first. Just lookin for a start point cause my understanding of fork adjustment aint the greatest. Is it rebound or compression i should play with?
adza

Postby Glen » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Sort your static sag out by adjusting the preload and you should be pretty close for a start point. You can't feel static sag you have to measure it. Use cable ties on the forks. It has the standard settings in the book you got with the forks. Stick a cable tie on the forks, go for a blat and do some hard braking and you should be getting the cable tie almost to the top but not quite. You want to be using almost all the travel under the hardest braking. Compression damping will slow down the rate that it compresses under braking.

Good luck with it.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby adza » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks Glen, Good job for tomorrow. The books buried in the shed i'll dig it out tmoz. Do you remember which adjusters do what?
adza

Postby Glen » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:00 pm

adza wrote:Thanks Glen, Good job for tomorrow. The books buried in the shed i'll dig it out tmoz. Do you remember which adjusters do what?

Spring Preload is the big nut on the top. Screw in or out to adjust number of rings showing.

Rebound damping adjuster is the screw in the middle of the preload adjuster. Screw in to increase rebound damping.

Compression damping is the screw at the bottom. Screw in to increase compression damping.
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby adza » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Got it . I remember when they were new and i played around with them a bit but ended up putting back to how they came. They always had a little bit of dive and i remember Phil said he added a bit of oil to them to fix it.
I'll try a bit of compression but i think the real fix will be new oil + that little bit extra.
Cheers
adza

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:37 am

It's always good to have a fiddle. Give you an excuse for a test ride :)
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Phil » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:26 am

adza wrote:Got it . I remember when they were new and i played around with them a bit but ended up putting back to how they came. They always had a little bit of dive and i remember Phil said he added a bit of oil to them to fix it.
I'll try a bit of compression but i think the real fix will be new oil + that little bit extra.
Cheers

That's right, was about 20mm extra from memory. I now have my preload backed off to about 4 line showing from 2 originally. Make sure you change the oil after 2 years of use too.
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby adza » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:29 am

Well i added about 3 clicks of compression which made the front end shake it's head. I returned it to where it was plus took another 2 turns off comp.
I then added i full turn of preload. Front end feels better with no head shake and less dive but i'm getting a bit of wallowing thru corners. But this was loaded up with luggage as i just got Back from a 2 day tour. Newcastle, Bathurst (with obligatory lap of the mountain ) Oberon, Golbourn, Braidwood, Batemans Bay. Then Back thru Jarvis Bay for a look and Kangaroo Valley,Bowral, Windsor and up the Putty back to Newcastle. Great little Tour with some awsome roads. :D
adza

Postby s man » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Come around my place & I'll have a look at it & set a few things up that will help..
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby ocd » Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

I have noticed extra sag with my ohlin forks as well have been doing a few wheelies lately I thought that mite be the cause , I tried a bit more preload and found head shake as well . I will try the 20 mm exta oil do you need a special tool to undo the fork caps and what oil should I use
cheers greg
ocd

Postby Phil » Wed May 20, 2015 3:37 pm

ocd wrote:I have noticed extra sag with my ohlin forks as well have been doing a few wheelies lately I thought that mite be the cause , I tried a bit more preload and found head shake as well . I will try the 20 mm exta oil do you need a special tool to undo the fork caps and what oil should I use
cheers greg

No special tool needed. Just undo the top triple bolts and wind the preload adjuster all the way out, once it get there the fork cap will start to undo.
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby ocd » Mon May 25, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks Phil for the help
cheers
greg