Switch to full style
Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!
Post a reply

Oil slurper

Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:09 am

We just did the big ride Perth to Phillip Island and back.
The Rex used an excessive amount of oil - around 4 litres, for the 7600km round trip.

It has new plugs (and seals obviously), new valve cover gasket, and Kwick's No Flow plugs installed.
Exhaust is black as.

Compression test is next, I think.

On the other hand, the ZZR1200 used about 1/4 litre. It also has new gasket and No Flows.

Bill.

Re: Oil slurper

Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:21 pm

Wow that is a bit of oil, but falls within the old measure- 1L per 1000km being 'normal'. My second ZRX (which never uses oil) was low on the glass the other day when out on a ride. (on centrestand) Checked it when I got home again and up top where it should be. :shock: Does your ZRX smoke at all? Wonder if valve seals are on way out- can't imagine rings could be the culprit.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:09 pm

Get your pals to ride behind you and ask them if they smell oil burn off. My mate has a VTR1000R,if you get behind him when he pins it you can smell the oil being burnt.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:20 am

Look on the bright side. You'll always have fresh oil in it :D

Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:37 am

Yep, no need for oil changes.

When riding behind, you can smell it, but only at high speed. And I agree, new valve stem seals may be the order of the day.
Exhaust has this nice thick sooty layer at the end.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:39 am

bonester wrote: My second ZRX (which never uses oil) was low on the glass the other day when out on a ride. (on centrestand)

Centre stand?

I had rings done at 50,000km when the pitted cams were repaired. Bike now has 123,000km.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:04 pm

billwest wrote:
bonester wrote: My second ZRX (which never uses oil) was low on the glass the other day when out on a ride. (on centrestand)

Centre stand?

Yep. X2. :) After considerable stuffing around have made my own. MK2 is much better than MK1. (need to up date Mk1 to Mk2) Going to manufacture them once I can secure required parts.

ZRXtwinStands.jpg
ZRXtwinStands.jpg (137.54 KiB) Viewed 16766 times

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:08 pm

And give ChuckC some competition on the ZRXOA list?

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:12 pm

Yeah if he ever made any!!!!! Quite a few people want his blood. My design is nothing like his. :)

Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:48 am

Mine was blowing a little smoke on the down change when we did a track day earlier in the year, then again it WAS getting ridden a bit harder than normal street riding. I noticed it when I was following when Rod and I swapped bikes for a session, Rod said it had been doing it in the same spot when he was behind me.

I just had all the valves shimmed and it doesn't seem to be doing it now.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:20 am

I had all my valves shimmed before we rode over to PI.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:43 pm

I finally got around to taking the Rex apart (had to go on holidays first to South, Central and North America).
I think it has been using a bit of oil.

Valves:

Pistons 1, 2 and 3:

Piston 4:

I am getting the head cleaned up, valves lapped, valve stem seals replaced, and new rings for the pistons.

Tue May 12, 2015 7:12 pm

How is the rebuild progressing, and can I ask how much it is costing? :shock:

Tue May 12, 2015 10:24 pm

The bits are still at the shop. Will know more later this week.

Mon May 18, 2015 12:56 pm

I just heard back from the shop. The exhaust valve seats are pitted, some more than others. They need to be re-cut, usually at around $40 per hole.
Post a reply