Switch to full style
Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!
Post a reply

Re: My ZRX

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:38 pm

The bug has hit.... :twisted:

Phone call made
Goodness on it way 8)

Thanks Phil ;)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:09 am

Nice work mate. What's next.

I just put my Black rear caliper bracket on. Looks good

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:59 am

I suspect some brake work will be next. 8)

Been doing a lot of reading and I can see this bike keeping me poor. :twisted:

Bling for bling's sake will have to wait a bit. :(

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:37 pm

laidback wrote:I suspect some brake work will be next. 8)

Been doing a lot of reading and I can see this bike keeping me poor. :twisted:

Bling for bling's sake will have to wait a bit. :(

Functional Bling is OK mate. Although it seems pretty much everything can be seen as functional, you just need to look at it the right way :)

e.g My Rear caliper bracket is significantly lighter than the original thus reducing unsprung weight and thereby improving handling and fuel efficiency (it's really all about saving the environment, the vibe and Mabo).......it just happens that it also looks better than the original.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Pics?

Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Love that moment when you get a bike all ready to fire up for the first time after you've done any substantial work. Hope all goes well for you John!!!

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:12 pm

tim wrote:Love that moment when you get a bike all ready to fire up for the first time after you've done any substantial work. Hope all goes well for you John!!!

Past that now mate.
All assembled and ready ti fire up

Wound it over for a while to pump some oil around
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
etc etc etc

Choke on
Press starter and .....
At 8:45PM tonight she started easy as. 8)

Bit of tidying up to do so should get a ride in tomorrow. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:37 pm

Nice

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:38 pm

Idles sweet as

P1040384 (2).JPG
P1040384 (2).JPG (204.02 KiB) Viewed 6739 times

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Nice work mate. Great to see it back to life.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:50 pm

Sweet. Fuel up. Enjoy! :)

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:09 am

laidback wrote:I suspect some brake work will be next. 8)

You don't need to upgrade them (apart from braded lines) unless you are pushing them hard. I had extreme brake fade coming down Mt Hotham chasing Phil (but we were apparently in a hurry to get to bottom ;) ) but other than that, they worked fine. The radial Nissin calipers are a completely different ball game than the 6 piston calipers that come on it though. Can you say 'rock hard lever' anyone? :twisted:

Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:54 pm

What does a set of nissins cost - $200? Mandatory if you ask me 8)

Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:22 pm

All assembled and run...

No leaks so off for first ride shorty. 8) :kuda:

Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Nelso wrote:....... I had extreme brake fade coming down Mt Hotham chasing Phil (but we were apparently in a hurry to get to bottom ;) ) but other than that, they worked fine. The radial Nissin calipers are a completely different ball game than the 6 piston calipers that come on it though. Can you say 'rock hard lever' anyone? :twisted:.......

Yep - agree 100% on the rock hard lever bit :lol:

funny thing, I upgraded the brakes on the Barge for exactly the same reason as Nelso above - except I was chasing Marty on his Rex and the stock brakes on the 12 were just fucking jelly by the time we got to the bottom of Hotham. This was on a CDT many years ago ;).

Upgraded to a 19mm radial m/c from a Gixxer 750 (same design used on the 600/750/1000 family around 08/09). This one change was by far the best upgrade I have ever done to brakes on any bike. One finger around town for all normal braking, 2 fingers if you have to stop in a hurry - and on a Barge, that is pulling up a lot of weight........

John - upgrading to a radial m/c should be high on your list mate. If you can get a radial-caliper conversion like Phil has done - all the better.

8)
Post a reply