ER6 Exhaust Questions

Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!

ER6 Exhaust Questions

Postby ExoduS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Ok, have done a bit of a search both with Mr Google and on the forums and I have some questions that hopefully some more knowledgeable people can give some pointers on.

I understand that the 2013 ER6NL/ER6 etc is the same as the 2012 model and thus, doesn't support a slip on and requires a full replacement from the headers.

Now the job itself doesn't concern me in the slightest as I've done the heads in cars and tis seems significantly easier (touching wood right now). My question is more one of legality. The all in one units that come stock, as far as I can tell, contain the cat within the unit that sits under the bike, however the after market untis (I'm looking at a Scorp at the moment - open to suggestions though), don't seem to (looking at general images), have a cat. From all my reading they don't contain one and I can't seem to find anything online anywhere that indicates either way!

More to the point my understanding is that your up for a steep fine if caught without a cat during an EPA pollution test (given that you're no longer burning off the nitrogen oxide). Given I live near an area that fills with riders, shortly followed by cops on the weekend, I'm sure it's only a matter of time until it's reminisce of my earlier years with a cage and it's getting looked at by both the Police and the EPA.

Anyway, would love to know thoughts, experiences and knowledge. If you've got a better suggestion exhaust wise too I'd love to hear it!
Guy Martin: Some lads love going to the pub, I don't like being in the pub. Some lads love shagging, I don't like shagging. I don't mind it, but I'm not into it. I'd rather just go and ride me motorbikes or me pushbikes.
ExoduS

Bike: ER6
State: Victoria

Re: ER6 Exhaust Questions

Postby Kermit » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Most aftermarket full systems don't contain a CAT, if you choose to go with one you may need to consider the purchase of a piggyback ecu (like a PC) to adjust the fueling due to the change in flow of exhaust gases.

Sounds like you have answered your own question and therefore know that you need to be prepared to pay if you want to play.

First bike?

Spend more on rider training, track days etc and less on mods.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby ExoduS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:05 pm

You spotted me, first bike!

I'd read that the Scorp got away without the need for a piggyback ECU, though clearly something that I need to research more. I do know it's got allowance for the lambda sensor with the theory that a re-tune isn't required... hmmmm

As for your point on mods, understood. This is all I want to do, purely for the sound.... lame, but I can't help myself it's like being 20 again.
Guy Martin: Some lads love going to the pub, I don't like being in the pub. Some lads love shagging, I don't like shagging. I don't mind it, but I'm not into it. I'd rather just go and ride me motorbikes or me pushbikes.
ExoduS

Bike: ER6

Postby dilligaf » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:33 pm

what blackster said. I ran the stock exhaust and never ran out of power on the road. but the weak point on the ER6 is the suspension. had my front shocks rebuilt and a hyperpro rear shock put on and it was a different bike. if you want to do something try that.
http://www.hyperpro.com/hyperpro/en/node/9
izzy at suspension r us did mine. man's a genius.

PS If you ride Reefton, you need to be ADR compliant.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900

Return to Z, ZRX, ER6 & other nakeds