rear shock cross reference er6

Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!

rear shock cross reference er6

Postby dickfaber » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:59 pm

planning some work for the commuter er6f (08).
heard a story/rumour that another model kawa rear shock is a bolt in replacement complete with remote reservoir and adjustable compression/rebound; but have forgotten what model its from.
i've spent 1/2 a bottle of bourbon on the internet trying to find out which one it is with no luck

any ideas folk?
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
dickfaber
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ER6
State: New South Wales

Re: rear shock cross reference er6

Postby Tack » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:43 pm

I can't answer your specific question however my guess is that there may be quite a few shocks off different makes and models that might fit.

But I would be careful about assuming that a shock off another kawasaki is going to be valved or have the correct spring rate to improve the handling (or whatever your hoping to improve) on your bike.

Bikes have different weights, different weight distributions, different motion ratios and different swing arm pivot locations (therefore different amounts of squat or antisquat and rising rate or opposite (or both) linkage geometry.

To expect that the shock off another bike is valved in the ballpark to suit your bike and to even expect that the shock bump/rebound adjustment (which depends on whether the adjustment is high speed or low speed on either) would be a bit of a tall order.

Having said that, you might be dead lucky and the shock works perfectly by some chance.

Personally, I would be looking for an shock expert that knows exactly the right valve range/spring rate etc for your bike. I know it's expensive but I guess you get what you pay for.
I live with fear everyday but on weekends she lets me ride.
Tack
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Return to Z, ZRX, ER6 & other nakeds