ZRX Alternator Chain Tensioner Fix

Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!

ZRX Alternator Chain Tensioner Fix

Postby billwest » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:43 pm

I did Kwik's alternator chain tensioner fix yesterday. I bought his "fix" after having a good look at my clutch cover plate, and the multitude of indentations from the tensioner hitting it at start-ups. Bike has 108,000km. Kwik's fix didn't take long to install. Scraping off the old side cover gasket took much longer.

Link: here.

Anyone else do this?

The ZZR may be next, although it is hard to tell if it has the same - that area on the cover plate is smooth - seen from the oil filler opening.
Don't ride as if you own the road.......
Ride as if you own the bike!

ZZR1200 ('02), FJR1300 ('19).
billwest
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1200
State: Western Australia

Re: ZRX Alternator Chain Tensioner Fix

Postby Errol » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:11 am

G'day Bill,
I bought the fix from Kwick a few months ago, along with an Ape Trac -King clutch kit (Kwick is an APE dealer :) ) have yet to fit either.

My ZRX also has 108,000 k's on the clock, I first noticed the indentations around 32,000k's.

Glad to hear its an easy install, I just gotta get around to ordering a clutch cover gasket & do it.
Back in Black 2001
Once you had BLACK you NEVER go back!
1/4 mile Best MPH 129.47
Best ET 10.747
Errol
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby Nelso » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:18 am

I have done the Kwick fix on mine before it started to hit and so far so good. Mine only has 31,000km on it though.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

State: New South Wales

Postby Whickle » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:37 pm

I have done a similar fix on my ZRX.

Nelso wrote: Mine only has 31,000km on it though.

:cry: Poor bike, you should sell it to somone who will ride it a little more :lol:
Whickle
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

State: ACT

Postby Phil » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:38 pm

I've done mine too ;)

And I just did the new clutch install so I'll be able to see if its working

No marks on the new clutch so all good so far.
Last edited by Phil on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Nelso » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Whickle wrote:I have done a similar fix on my ZRX.

Nelso wrote: Mine only has 31,000km on it though.

:cry: Poor bike, you should sell it to somone who will ride it a little more :lol:

I work it harder (flog it) so it doesn't feel neglected. ;) :lol:
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby shadowarrior » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:05 pm

nope...not going to Kwick's webpage anymore..... I always go there to search for 1 thing...and keep adding couple of more stuffs...and eventually get bankrupt off my monthly 'motorbike' expense limit :(
He makes some awesome stuff!
...i don't like the drugs, but the drugs like me!!
shadowarrior
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby KiwiMat » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Hey guys, my ZRX developed some alternator chain slap noises 4 weeks ago after a nice little ride down the putty.
As i paid for a 3year warranty when i bought the bike, I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed.
I told them this was a common thing and showed them the link for ZRX Alternator chain tensioner fix......
They replaced the tensioner.. same sound..., they though it may be the balancer, generator bolt loose..... after a week they tell me they ordered a new chain and it will be 3 weeks from Japan.
I ordered the "fix" part from expensivelightweightstuff.com and have it now. just waiting on the dealer to get the chain.
They gave me back the bike 3 weeks ago and said that it was ok to ride while they waited on the part, even with the chain hitting the clutch sound.
I rode the bike home and have left it in the garage since.
waiting for part from japan... will post up an update when it all happens, any comments would be appreciated
BTW.. Bike has done 41,000 km

getting farkn sick of driving to work and missing rides......

cheers

KiwiMat
ZX12R - 2005
GSXR750 - 2022
FZR250 - 1990
ZXR250A... project
KiwiMat
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Nelso » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Kwick has a newer fix. It is a manually adjusted block that replaces the whole automatic tensioner. I have heard of a couple of tensioners still hitting the clutch with the sleeve fitted so I would assume the manual adjuster would be the next step to fixing the problem. So far mine is still ok with just the sleeve fitted.

I wouldn't be riding the bike with it hitting the clutch either. Not unless the dealer guarantees that they will rebuild your engine for you under warranty if it goes bang. I've seen pictures of them when they let go and it's not pretty.
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby KiwiMat » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:26 pm

Nelso wrote:Kwick has a newer fix. It is a manually adjusted block that replaces the whole automatic tensioner. I have heard of a couple of tensioners still hitting the clutch with the sleeve fitted so I would assume the manual adjuster would be the next step to fixing the problem. So far mine is still ok with just the sleeve fitted.

I wouldn't be riding the bike with it hitting the clutch either. Not unless the dealer guarantees that they will rebuild your engine for you under warranty if it goes bang. I've seen pictures of them when they let go and it's not pretty.

thank Nelso, i saw the other tensioner after i ordered the sleeve, looks like a great setup too.
I will have new standard Tensioner, Chain and Sleeve.... surely it cant still be knocking after that...

I rang Kawasaki in granville and asked them about it and they said dont ride the bike.

and as for dealer guarantee....i paid $1000 extra when i bought the bike for a, 3 year... unlimited KM warranty, a few people said i was mad, the dealer services and valve clearance services are a killer, but if the engine goes bang, or something else. they gota fix/replace it. The warranty runs out in August 2014, plenty of fun to be had before then.

anyway... im sure there will more BS before im back on the bike.. we will see.....

cheers
KiwiMat
ZX12R - 2005
GSXR750 - 2022
FZR250 - 1990
ZXR250A... project
KiwiMat
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Errol » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:09 am

billwest wrote:I did Kwik's alternator chain tensioner fix yesterday. I bought his "fix" after having a good look at my clutch cover plate, and the multitude of indentations from the tensioner hitting it at start-ups. Bike has 108,000km. Kwik's fix didn't take long to install. Scraping off the old side cover gasket took much longer.

Link: here.

Anyone else do this?

The ZZR may be next, although it is hard to tell if it has the same - that area on the cover plate is smooth - seen from the oil filler opening.

Well finally got around to getting a gasket & replaced my OEM clutch with an APE Trak King clutch pack, also purchased through Kwik last year.

Did the tensioner fix whilst I was in there, dead easy.

As stated by Bill, the biggest job is scraping the gasket off.

Fired up the bike on completion & even with over 100,000 k's on her she sounds silky smooth, missus thought it was the 'Busa it was running so quietly, new oil helps too I guess.

The Kerker still barks on start up :D

Took her for a test run, after finding a secluded (private) test road, gave her a crank @ around 30kph expecting the front to lift & she promptly broke into wheel spin & stepped out on me :twisted: , luv my ZRX still :lol:

Did I mention I also got Kwiks- Kwik action throttle in my little box o'goodies last year, gotta be one of the best things you can do for your Rex.

Now gotta find a quick action throttle for the 'Busa, Hmmmm...
Back in Black 2001
1/4 mile Best MPH 129.47
Best ET 10.747
Errol
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Phil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:29 am

Errol wrote:Took her for a test run, after finding a secluded (private) test road, gave her a crank @ around 30kph expecting the front to lift & she promptly broke into wheel spin & stepped out on me :twisted: , luv my ZRX still :lol:

Did I mention I also got Kwiks- Kwik action throttle in my little box o'goodies last year, gotta be one of the best things you can do for your Rex.

Been tossing up the Kwick throttle, so you reckon its definately worth it Errol?

Gotta say I'm loving hearing you still enjoy/love riding the ZRX ;) I cannot wait for the weekend to get out on mine, I'll be in the shed tonight polishing the braced swingarm after wet roads last time out on mine :D
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Nelso » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:16 am

Mine had a Kwick throttle on it last year when you rode it Phil. Another reason why it was a little more responsive. ;)
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Phil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:28 am

Nelso wrote:Mine had a Kwick throttle on it last year when you rode it Phil. Another reason why it was a little more responsive. ;)

hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Errol » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:42 am

Phil wrote:
Errol wrote:Took her for a test run, after finding a secluded (private) test road, gave her a crank @ around 30kph expecting the front to lift & she promptly broke into wheel spin & stepped out on me :twisted: , luv my ZRX still :lol:

Been tossing up the Kwick throttle, so you reckon its definately worth it Errol?

Gotta say I'm loving hearing you still enjoy/love riding the ZRX ;) I cannot wait for the weekend to get out on mine, I'll be in the shed tonight polishing the braced swingarm after wet roads last time out on mine :D

Hey Phil,
Yeah the Kwik throttle is good value, I mean no extra strain on the motor, but feels like you have more grunt on hand & like anything else you get used to it pretty quick/Kwik :lol: .

Have had it fitted since it arrived mid last year & love it, no issue in the wet still plenty controllable, maybe on a 1224 or Turbo in the wet might be an issue but hey I can only wish I had those problems.

The alu throttle tube itself is a nice piece of work, had to by a Bunnings Ozito dremel to fit it, but can always use an excuse to buy more tools.

As usual Kwik has all the fitting instructions avail, so although you need to mod the throttle housing it is no issue.

Do not know for sure if it has improved dragstrip performance as I have not had the ZRX on the strip since fitting. Those duties have been passed over to the 'Busa, & the ZRX moves over to semi-retirement, could not bring myself to sell it & the missus went with it :? , wonders will never cease.

Gotta say, even after riding the 'Busa, my ZRX is slower yes, but it AIN'T SLOW :twisted: still suprises a few of the uninitiated in a straight line :kuda:

I see your bling list is still mounting 8) , if you must have those shiny things I guess polishing them is the price you pay :lol: .
Has been raining up here since early January with very few dry weekends in between, but as this is the furtherest south I have lived since the '70's I am pretty used to it, love the rain.
Back in Black 2001
1/4 mile Best MPH 129.47
Best ET 10.747
Errol
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Next

Return to Z, ZRX, ER6 & other nakeds