Fuel additives

Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!

Re: Fuel additives

Postby Mattjin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:52 pm

It wont mix too well with petrol anyway unless you use it straight away. Methanol on the other hand...... ;)
Mattjin
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Postby MAXUMIS » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:22 pm

oldman wrote:I talked to a few people about adding nitro methane to my fuel and it sounds like a bad idea. According to the "experts" my power commander would not be able to supply enough fuel to keep it from running way lean and even if it did run a proper mixture the combustion chamber pressures without head, piston and lower end work would probably smoke my motor.
I have a gallon of very expensive fuel now and the storage life on nitro methane is very short. Time for a Jim to think this over. Perhaps a bomb??

If you ratio it with normal fuel (5% to 10%) EDIT AS A STARTING POINT, you could get a happy meadiam but the bike will need to be on a dyno to get it tuned write.The main thing is to not run out of injectors hence needing bigger ones.i would not leave it in a tank for any time thow if you can get a decent ratio as it will f*ck everthing in its path!!
Last edited by MAXUMIS on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:45 pm

you wouldn't bother using a 95/5 mix of normal fuel and nitromethane - top-fuel dragsters run it straight. The extra 5% would result in very little real difference and would probaby result in less power not more.

Nitromethane only has about twice the amount of power as normal fuel for a given amount of air. It also has about 1/4 the energy density of normal fuel.

Oldman ? make a bomb. Way more fun :lol:

This has reminded me of a story from riding dirtbikes a few years ago down in Bendethra. One of the guys on the ride went to shitloads of trouble to mix his fuel - 50/50 unleaded & Avgas. Yes you heard that right - 50% leaded, 50% unleaded. He was convinced that his XR600 had some serious engine work and *absolutely* had to have a high-octane fuel in order to work properly...... :roll: he also did his best to convince all of us that the bike would not run at all on normal fuel, but also couldn't run on straight Avgas as this would "..blow the top end to pieces.."

After the first day where he fucked around mixing fuels and falling off.....we got on the piss that night and after listening to him bullshit on for a while - I pointed out that for all his work - all he was doing was diluting good Avgas with shitty unleaded fuel !! :lol: he thought that he was improving the octane rating of the unleaded by adding Avgas...... :roll:

of course, when he ran out of his special mix halfway through the next day, he had to fill his tank with normal unleaded fuel......and crazy but true - his bike ran just fine for the rest of the day.......

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Wattie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:59 pm

I had a mate with a shit hot cr250... :lol: his words anyway.

He used to mix the fuel and oil at 32.5:1.
He assured me this was the perfect mix. I laughed and spent the days watching him have to rev the crap out of it everytime we stopped coz it was fowling up. :lol:

Oh and it had gold valves, so it handled like no other apparently :lol:
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:05 pm

its amazing how some people can convince themselves that something like 32.5:1 *MUST* be used everytime..... :roll:

If he was using fully-synth 2T oil, it should have been up around 45:1 or even a bit higher..........32:1 is pretty rich for synth 2T.

For mineral oil or castor oil - 32:1 is a good ratio. You wouldn't want to go much leaner than that, but I have run some of my old-dunger 2T motors down as rich as 25:1 with SuperTT.......plenty of smoke but you *know* the bastard is never going to seize ! :lol:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby MAXUMIS » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Wattie wrote:I had a mate with a shit hot cr250... :lol: his words anyway.

He assured me this was the perfect mix. I laughed and spent the days watching him have to rev the crap out of it everytime we stopped coz it was fowling up. :lol:

Was the mix with methonal??
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby pittster » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:27 pm

From my old 2 stroke boat motor building days 25:1 for run in 50:1 for most motors, the new variable ratio oil pumps run 200:1 at idle and 80:1 at full throttle. A boat motor is not quite as stressed out as a 250 bike 2 stroke but they do sit on 6,000rpm for hours non stop. Again I have been out of that game for years so the ratio's have probably all changed
Kawasaki ZX-10R 2008 - R77 Yoshi full system, PC3 Custom Mapped, Benneli bar end mirrors, Puig Double Bubble, Radiator protector, CircuitOne Mirror blanks, Pazzo levers, Shift-I, etc
pittster
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Wattie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:53 pm

pittster wrote:From my old 2 stroke boat motor building days 25:1 for run in 50:1 for most motors, the new variable ratio oil pumps run 200:1 at idle and 80:1 at full throttle. A boat motor is not quite as stressed out as a 250 bike 2 stroke but they do sit on 6,000rpm for hours non stop. Again I have been out of that game for years so the ratio's have probably all changed

I had a 4hp mercury on an inflatable boat. It had a 100:1 sticker on it from factory.
We ran it in on 50:1. Then went to 100:1

Not much oil in there!
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby pittster » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Wattie wrote:
pittster wrote:From my old 2 stroke boat motor building days 25:1 for run in 50:1 for most motors, the new variable ratio oil pumps run 200:1 at idle and 80:1 at full throttle. A boat motor is not quite as stressed out as a 250 bike 2 stroke but they do sit on 6,000rpm for hours non stop. Again I have been out of that game for years so the ratio's have probably all changed

I had a 4hp mercury on an inflatable boat. It had a 100:1 sticker on it from factory.

Not much oil in there!

If in doubt thin it out :kuda:
Kawasaki ZX-10R 2008 - R77 Yoshi full system, PC3 Custom Mapped, Benneli bar end mirrors, Puig Double Bubble, Radiator protector, CircuitOne Mirror blanks, Pazzo levers, Shift-I, etc
pittster
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:08 pm

MAXUMIS wrote:
Wattie wrote:I had a mate with a shit hot cr250... :lol: his words anyway.

Was the mix with methonal??

If he was mixing with methanol, 32.5:1 would be way rich. Even on pump fuel - synthetic 2T pre-mix is normally way leaner than that...

Wattie wrote:

Not much oil in there!

older 2T boat motors about 50:1 was on the money, but remember that outboard oil is an entirely different animal to m/cycle engine oil. The changes in mixture ratio are less about engine longevity and far more about emissions and *nothing* else these days for outboards.

Modern-day 2T outboard motors are the pinnacle of 2T motor development. Direct fuel injection with almost zero emissions, incredible power outputs from not much capacity......this is where you find the best 2T motors in the world.

How good would a 400hp V8 2T motor be in decent frame ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby pittster » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Yeah worked on a few mercury 300hp V6 2 strokes with direct injection putting out about 380 hp at the prop awesome design and this was in 2002
pittster
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby MAXUMIS » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:25 pm

We used to run around 50 to one with normal fuel but always went richer with methonal as you have to throw so much more fuel into it to get the power+if you run 50 to one with methonal it will seize very quickly as compared to running richer.PS funny that this has turned to two strocks :lol:
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:51 pm

what sort of engines were you running a 50:1 mix of nitro in ?

2T rule :kuda:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby seiko1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:58 pm

oldman wrote:I talked to a few people about adding nitro methane to my fuel and it sounds like a bad idea. According to the "experts" my power commander would not be able to supply enough fuel to keep it from running way lean and even if it did run a proper mixture the combustion chamber pressures without head, piston and lower end work would probably smoke my motor.
I have a gallon of very expensive fuel now and the storage life on nitro methane is very short. Time for a Jim to think this over. Perhaps a bomb??

Throw the shit on your President.....while he's hugging the dumb fucken thing we're stuck with :D
Policy - Find something simple.....and Complicate it!
seiko1
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX14R
State: Victoria

Postby MAXUMIS » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Gosling1 wrote:what sort of engines were you running a 50:1 mix of nitro in ?

2T rule :kuda:

I have never run nitro at all (other than remote control cars),i did run methonal in my kx 125 many moons ago not at 50:1, 30:1 was all i ended up going after it seized the big end ,I must admit i never cleaned out the motor with normal fuel (witch could of caused the problem) as the highly air rated fuels can cause a lot of corrosion. PS the cast oil is not cheep either .I am no pro at all but used to have fun trying things + love the smell.
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Z, ZRX, ER6 & other nakeds