ZRX impressions

Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!

ZRX impressions

Postby Barrabob » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:48 pm

I dont seem to see a lot of zrx owners pokeing around here and was wondering why?

Anybody had one and got rid of it and WHY??

Have seen a few of them pokeing around trackdays at times and although i like a fairing they look like a good upright bike i could fit with tractor tyres and a box of sorts for delivering stuff and asume the donk is solid like do a few kms okay so long as i change oil lots.

Obviously theres the 12r but its not a good parcel bus.

Any ideas ?? I saw a nice one today getting around and i could live with one so long as its green. :D
If I rode my bike at the speed of light, what would happen when I switched on its headlights?

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby bonester » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:56 pm

I had a ride of one a few weeks ago and really liked it. It had good mid range grunt which would suit your use. Same engine as ZZR but in a lower state of tune as well as a lower seat height makes it easy to ride and still more than quick enough. Under-rated I reckon! :)
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Strika » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:07 pm

Ask Balanse for a long term opinion, he has had his for some time, and doesn't appear eager to upgrade it any time soon. He let me ride it up Reefton Spur one day, back when I had the Hornet. It surprised me how good it handled. Not far off how the Hornet steered, just a little more unsettled in the rear, and the frame flexed a little if you weren't smooth. Brakes are awesome, it steers lightly and has loads of grunt, so would be a good traffic dodger! HTH :)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Barrabob » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:12 pm

They also seem reasonably priced. :D

The six is great around town with good brakes and light weight but as you would know bonester it doesnt take long to wear out a bike if you use it every day so its better to have 2 especially if you need to send one to a dealer for a big service or something.

I also see they did do one with a fairing of sorts.

how hard do you have to ride them to get the frame flexing?? Like very hard in 30 kph twisties or just giving it a light shove along because i would say I will be keeping the six with a set of sports tyres on it.
Last edited by Barrabob on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I rode my bike at the speed of light, what would happen when I switched on its headlights?

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Ratmick » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:17 pm

I had a look at one today in Cosways (the only place within walking distance who has Kwakkas, even though they are a bunch of wankers).

It looks shit-loads better in the flesh than in pictures, especially that bizarre little screen at the front (and people say the screen on the SV1000 looks odd :shock:).

Here's a good review in Bikepoint: http://www.bikepoint.com.au/portal/alias__bikepointau/tabID__5760/ArticleID__120182/DesktopDefault.aspx

No digital clock in the instrument cluster though, which an an anal way I'd find annoying, especially as the bike would be used to travel to the train station in Woodend :lol:.

No temperature guage either 8).
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby greenmeanie » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:25 pm

What about a Z1000 :?: You know the black Z courier that gets around brisbane CBD(perfect 4 courier work). :twisted:
Glenn
2009 ZX10R
greenmeanie
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Re: ZRX impressions

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:54 pm

Barrabob wrote:....Any ideas ?? I saw a nice one today getting around and i could live with one so long as its green. :D

Barra - I test-rode a ZRX many years ago (first model), and then again when the half-faired model was released.....

It was a really nice comfortable bike, plenty of grunt, good brakes and actually reminded of a Gpz1100B2..... :shock: except with modern brakes and better suspension :P . You can get them *dancing* under pressure :wink: as Marty has said, but for what your requirements are, I think you would be very happy with one of these as your daily hack.

And they come in green !! mate, its heaven on a stick........

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Barrabob » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:16 pm

yeh glen he is one of my workmates on the z1000 has a leaking forkseal too amoungst other little niggles, the zrx is a bit older and a bit cheaper and according to the writeup has fully adjustable suspension front and rear.

Theres another guy out there with a 954 blade that has the fairings faling off it he likes his wheelies.

More after a cheap hack that will go the distance, the z1000 is reliable enough but probably not the cheapest thing out there being a more current model/shape.

And the plod told me I should ride something more comfortable the last time they checked me out although they seem to know who I am and what I am doing now....thank god I retired mr redbull.
Last edited by Barrabob on Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Neilp » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:19 pm

[quote="bonester"]Same engine as ZZR but in a lower state of tune.
Wrong The only thing these engines share are the lower cases, head, pistons, cams, carbies, electronics all different and 1 less cog in the box.

As well as a lower seat height.
Wrong The seat height on the ZZR is lower.

I should know I had 2 of them! [01 R, 04 S] Good bikes both of them, let down by poor suspension.

Neil
8)
Last edited by Neilp on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neilp
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZZR1200

Postby Barrabob » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:27 pm

what 2 zrxs neil??? I knew you had one but went to a zzr which would be a way better tourer.

I only really want to cut laps of the city and the only thing that worries me is parking it on funny road cambers with all that weight and backing it up in places.

I found with the begs moved back a bit on the six it made it way easier to sit on the bike and push it backwards without hitting the pegs all the time.

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Neilp » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:28 pm

Barrabob wrote:I also see they did do one with a fairing of sorts.

The S is no longer available [2004]

Neil
8)
Neilp
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZZR1200

Postby Barrabob » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:32 pm

Yeh i would be buying a used bike thats well devalued although i see some cheapish looking ones on bikesales with like 10000kms on them.

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby balanse » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:59 am

Hey BarraboB my impression is ... the best blend of fun and all round capability in a fantastic looking package you can get.

I reckon that the thing is about as good a blend of all things needed for ROAD riding that you could possibly achieve. It'll do scratching without any fear of being disgraced and a younger set of balls could take on any road ride group on one with total confidence.

It's effortless to ride .. no problems with comfort, big wide seat and "sit up and beg" riding style means that hours in the saddle will not have you in pain. The motor is soooo grunty that gearchanging is totally optional once moving unless you are looking for a thrash. Around town it's like having an automatic gearbox - just leave it in third and open and close the throttle. Fantastic.

Yes it is heavy but we're not talking cruiser heavy - it's sportsbike heavy and it's well balanced. About the only time I recognise it's weight is when *pushing on* over really tight stuff. The transition from braking to gas and lean to lean has the front end a little stressed if the corners get down around the 35kmh posted area. But once the corners get up around 60 to 70 and above then there is no limitation imposed - totally up to it.

As already mentioned by others both ends are adjustable for comp rebound and preload and dead easy to change. Plenty of more expert write ups are available so not going into the full test report - look up one, most give praise.

I also dont fear a drop too much because it is not wrapped in instant write off and can fall over in a carpark without costing much. It is easy to service and the motor is pretty bullet proof with no problems at all experienced to date on my 2002 model.

It will carry luggage on the seat (plus rack and large top bag for me) and not cramp your riding style (or scratch your paint work). The rear sub frame is not flimsy and up to the job of carrying a load, in fact I had about 250kgs on mine earlier this year after a mates Ducati shit itself mid trip. 2 grown men and about 50kgs of luggage and she wore it no problem AND it all fit on. Try that on a ZX(R)---.

Not like this is a major purchase factor but bloody great when your standing in a servo in shitsville NSW looking at 2 bikes worth of humans with gear and one working bike.

They don't sell like R1's GSX's or CBR's but who cares? If I see one every now and then well that's actually a great thing for mine cause I reckon that with the ageless classic Kawasaki style, big motor and quality build they are gonna be a popular choice for used buyers much longer anyway.

So all in all you get the idea...I would have to say that I am pretty well pleased with the model.
Just one more law and everyone will be safe.
balanse
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby plane » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:45 pm

Here is a report that I wrote on another board 18 months ago...

This is just an honest opinion of the ZRX1100 motorcycle from someone who has owned one for the last three years.

Let me preface this story with the fact that I have a perchance for Kawasaki motorcycles, or more to the point, their motors.

Why buy one?
The ZRX first caught my eye in 2000 at a motorcycle shop in Melbourne. Initially I was hit by its (relatively) compact size and aggressive styling. Living in a country town I had not been exposed to many late model bikes and had not owned a bike for at least 5 years. The ZRX made an immediate impact.

Fast forward to 2002 and the time had come to get back into motorcycling. A trip to Mackay with a limited budget saw me perusing the used bikes with some intensity. At one of the shops stood a ’99 model ZRX1100.

Although not “officially” for sale by the shop, it was for sale by one of the shops salesmen. I hastily organised a test ride and off I went.

First impressions.
I was impressed with the torque of the motor and the handling of the bike. I returned to the shop and picked up my wife. Part of the purchase criteria was pillion capabilities. Needless to say, she felt the bike was smooth, comfortable and she liked the styling. The only problem (in my mind) was that the budget would be exceeded. REALLY exceeded. Imagine my surprise when the minister for war and finances approved the purchase. A deal was struck and the 1100 headed north the following Friday. That was 38,000 km’s ago.

So what is the ZRX like to live with day to day?
“Jack Of All Trades” would be a fitting description. I use the bike daily as a commuter. Have taken two-up tours on it. Have scratched down the Gillies Highway’s 263 bends (in 19km) and have gone for a leisurely cruise on a Sunday afternoon on the beachfront.

What is wrong with it?
Once you get used to the bike, two major flaws become apparent. In the tight stuff, its weight really becomes a factor. At about 240kg, the bike will never be a featherweight and it can become a handful in tight going. The Gillies showed this up quite quickly. Couple this with stable (read slowish) steering and you end up with a handful. The other problem is its adjustable, but cheap suspension set-up.

The suspension doesn’t have the high speed dampening capabilities of today’s real sports bikes and, again, it shows up when pressing on in the twisties. Rear wheel chatter entering corners and understeer on the way out make for an interesting time.

If attacking tight corners is going to be your prime use for the bike, get something different or invest lots of money on suspension upgrades and frame stiffening. Shedding some weight would also help.

Other annoyances can be: The lack of a full fairing and abysmal seat when touring. The “pig ugly” muffler and boat anchor exhaust system need attention.

What’s good about it?
Its general all round appeal and the ability to tailor the bike to your needs are its greatest attributes. This bike is a blank canvass waiting for owners to add their own personal touches depending on what area they would like the bike to excel in. Modifications to the engine are almost mandatory and start (no surprise here) with the airflow of the engine.

A pipe and a jet kit will unleash at least another 10-15 horsepower and save about 10kg in weight. Then you can attack the internals of the motor and unleash even more. One hundred and fifty horsepower is very achievable on this bike without any compromise in reliability. Add on a turbo and your staring 200bhp in the face! The list is endless.

The motor’s torque is a strong point. My wife likened it do driving an automatic car. She found it that easy to get off the line after riding her 250. The midrange of the bike shines when you are in the tight stuff, grunting out of each corner with ease.

Remember how I said it was a handful in tight stuff? This is only a relative term as the ZRX will leave a lot of other bikes in its wake and keep sports bike riders on their toes when the bike is ridden well. By slipping the yokes down the forks a couple of mm and / or flipping the eccentric chain adjusters on the swing arm, the steering quickens slightly. I added a 25mm “tail riser” to each of my rear shocks to improve the turn in of the bike even more.

Touring is limited by your butt’s ability to soak up the torture thrown at it by the standard seat. Add to that, the wind turbulence created by the bikini fairing and you have the two major inconveniences presented by the bike.

Corbin and Sargent both make replacement seats that are so far in advance of the stock item, they are lonely. Zero gravity and MRA both make screens that alter the airflow over the front of the bike to alleviate the turbulence.

The bike still turn heads as much for the colour as the retro styling of the bike. Many people compliment you on how well restored your ‘80’s bike is!

What broke?
In the last three years the bike has been incredibly reliable. I change my oil and filter every 5,000km so engine wear has been minimal. It had its first valve adjustment at 40,000km and that was when it spent its longest time off the road as the wrong shims were sent to my mechanic.

Other breakdowns include a holed radiator and burst upper coolant hose. Neither of which rendered the bike useless, just wounded.

Other niggles include loose fasteners and a buzzing from the inner panel in the fairing. Regular inspections of the bike are a must as bolts such as the swing arm nut and the bolts holding the frame cradle in have been known to come loose of fall out!

Would I buy a different bike?
Yes, at the moment I lust after a ZX12R and a ZX10R. Both of these machines push my buttons. A Z1000 is not far off the mark either (told you I like Kwaka’s). Priorities being what they are, a new bike doesn’t feature high on the list at the moment so they remain items of lust.

What must be said is that I have never owned a bike for more than twelve months before. The ZRX and I just ticked over three years together.

Would I buy another ZRX?
Only if mine gets trashed.

Since then I have added an Akropovic full system, nothing much else has changed... 71,000 km and still going strong...

Cheers,
Pete
Live Fast, Die Sideways
plane
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX

Postby Strika » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:28 pm

Plane said........What is wrong with it?
Once you get used to the bike, two major flaws become apparent. In the tight stuff, its weight really becomes a factor. At about 240kg, the bike will never be a featherweight and it can become a handful in tight going. The Gillies showed this up quite quickly. Couple this with stable (read slowish) steering and you end up with a handful. The other problem is its adjustable, but cheap suspension set-up.

The suspension doesn’t have the high speed dampening capabilities of today’s real sports bikes and, again, it shows up when pressing on in the twisties. Rear wheel chatter entering corners and understeer on the way out make for an interesting time.

Balanse had a full muzzy on his when I rode it so it felt pretty good weight wise. Not too much heavier than the Hornet Iwas on at the time. However, it never got too messy handling wise apart from as you said, in the hairpins, where it would get a little grumpy.

Maybe Balanse had his set up right too? But it felt pretty damn good for a retro looking twin shock steel spined frame bike! It never got wallowy going up Reefton. Just lacked clearance, had to be muscled and didn't like the really tight turns. 3rd gear or more is where it's in it's element!

It's best feature to me was comfort. I could have ridden it all day! :)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Next

Return to Z, ZRX, ER6 & other nakeds