Flat as a Tack

Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!

Flat as a Tack

Postby billwest » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:56 pm

I have a battery that did service in my ZZR for 2 years, before giving up the ghost in that one. I then installed it in my ZRX where it worked fine for another 3 years.
A couple of weeks ago it started to hesitate, so I charged it up. At the same time I charged up a Motobatt battery that had failed to keep a charge in my ZZR about a year ago.

Anyway, today I rode the ZRX to lunch in Karagullen (WA), and all was fine. I left there around 1:30pm and paid a brief visit to Motorcycle Masters in Kewdale. When I wanted to leave there, the starter wouldn't turn over. I said "WTF" a number of times, but that didn't help. MM has a spare battery floating around, but that was not sufficiently charged to get me going.

Anyway, #2 son had to collect me, drive me to the city for urgent business as dictated by SWMBO, and then drive me back to MM.
He had brought with him the little battery starter pack that I bought a year ago and had never used. Connected, and it fired right up! Marvellous little item!

When I got home, I switched off, and tried to start again. No go. "WTF", I said.

I removed the offending battery, checked the voltage across the terminals (13.2V) and just for the hell of it, put the Motobatt (12.4V) in. Guess what? It started.
I guess the offending battery is simply rooted, or in layman's terms, it no longer works properly.
Don't ride as if you own the road.......
Ride as if you own the bike!

ZZR1200 ('02), FJR1300 ('19).
billwest
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1200
State: Western Australia

Re: Flat as a Tack

Postby billwest » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:03 am

Yesterday at the bike shop the lousy battery only measured 5V across the terminals.
This morning, the Motobatt wouldn't fire up the bike.

Buying an SSB Glass Matt battery today...

billwest
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby BrettZZR » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Sometimes batteries fail when the internal spotwelds on the lead straps fail. This can result in perfect voltage readings on the meter, but not even able to light up the smallest bulb, or zero volts, or anything in between...

I had it happen to a sub-1-year-old battery. Damn nearly dropped the mighty Ruby push starting it on Reid Highway! |~8

(-:
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100

Postby bonester » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Original batteries are amazing- i got 7 years out of my original ZRX battery and it still JUST started the bike. Over 9 years on my ER6n. These were Yuasa and another brand I can't recall. Cheapo batteries since get nowhere near the life. :(
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby billwest » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:45 pm

I wasn't too impressed with Kawasaki's original choice of batteries (Yuasa).
I mean, in the ZZR the original one only lasted 9 years, and in the ZRX only 8 years.

laughing7.gif

On a more serious note, I couldn't find the SSB I wanted (out of stock). The Motobatt is still firing it up. I might see how long it lasts instead.

billwest
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby billwest » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Well, forget about that one.
The Motobatshit is totally faarked today.

billwest
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Return to Z, ZRX, ER6 & other nakeds