Z1-R Rebuild

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Z1-R Rebuild

Postby slimey » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:57 am

As promised/threatened a bit of an update on rebuild progress.

Got the paintwork back from the painterman - top job, looks' kin amazing!
Few pics for yez to drool over !
Attachments
Fairing LHS Repainted.JPG
Fairing LHS Repainted.JPG (206.71 KiB) Viewed 14858 times
Fairing RHS Repainted.JPG
Fairing RHS Repainted.JPG (194.69 KiB) Viewed 14858 times
Tailpiece and Trims Repainted 2.JPG
Tailpiece and Trims Repainted 2.JPG (196.48 KiB) Viewed 14858 times
Tank RHS Repainted.JPG
Tank RHS Repainted.JPG (199.12 KiB) Viewed 14858 times
Current Project
'78 Z1-R
Previous Kwakas
Zephyr 750
H2A x 2
Z1-R x 2
Z900
Z650
H1B
slimey
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Re: Z1-R Rebuild

Postby slimey » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:54 am

While yez are all enjoying the photos of the paint I'll update progress on the other areas of the rebuild.
Recently got the carbs rebuilt and fitted to the bike so was ready for a go at starting.
Gave it some new oil and cranked it over with no spark for a few bursts to get the oil circulating before start.

Starter motor was making some rattling noises and was not engaging properly so brought the kickstart into play.
Couldn't get it going so my son got some "Start ya Bastard" and sprayed it into the carb mouths.
A couple of kicks and she fired up , but quickly began running very rich with black sooty smoke coming out the exhaust
and the plugs sooted up really badly.

I have been chasing this problem for a couple of weeks now and have tried the following:
1. Changed the plugs (checked heat range - ok)
2. Points, plugs, coils and leads - all new
3. Changed the fuel (thought maybe some oil/degreaser from the painting process was fouling the fuel)
4. Checked float levels
5. Checked choke plungers are fully closed when choke off
6. Checked battery voltage - weak spark can cause rich running
Had just about run out of ideas but noted that a couple of the carbs had small drips of fuel coming out
around the float bowl/carb body junctions.
Current Project
'78 Z1-R
Previous Kwakas
Zephyr 750
H2A x 2
Z1-R x 2
Z900
Z650
H1B
slimey
Warming up
Warming up

Postby slimey » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:03 am

So, revisited the float levels and found that I'd been checking the fuel levels using the wrong part of the carb body as a reference for the clear tube test. This meant that each float level was 4-5mm too high - not quite enough to go out the overflow, but enough to cause too much fuel to be sucked up!
Pulled the carbs off and discovered that only 0.3mm of a change in the tang position caused almost 5mm change in the fuel level!
Set them all up again but I managed to split one of the o-rings on the centre fuel tube during carb re-assembly and have had to wait until I got replacements. Now have this, so will hopefully get the assembly and synch done this weekend and carbs back on (again!) Will post progress next week!
Current Project
'78 Z1-R
Previous Kwakas
Zephyr 750
H2A x 2
Z1-R x 2
Z900
Z650
H1B
slimey
Warming up
Warming up

Postby pkay » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Always the way with projects - just when you think you got it nailed some 10 cent bit shits itself and you're back on ebay sourcing it. I am trying to recommision my Yamaha RD250LC at the moment and spent a good several hours on Monday just generally sorting stuff. Was tightening the clutch perch when crack broke the casting (that's the third one) - so the hateful thing goes back undercover until the new one arrives. Then yesterday smelt fuel to discover one of the bowl overflows is leaking - it will just be crap stopping the seat from sealing as I've been running it on reserve while fiddling - but still have to take the carb off and clean it - aeffingain!!

I guess that's why when it is finished you are satisfied/relieved................................

Also that paint job is excellent - can I ask how much?
PK
"Too many bikes is never enough"
ZXR750H1,GPX750R,GPz600R,750,900R,1000RX,KR250,Z1a,Mach3,Z1300 and..
pkay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Queensland

Postby slimey » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Paint job cost $2,000 - painter was insistent that he did all the prep work - rubbing, filling, puttying, panel-beating as well as the painting, laying of pin-stripes and clearcoat over the lot, so I think money well spent. Logic is that if the paint job fails then it is unclear as to who is responsible if prep work is done external to the professional job.
Current Project
'78 Z1-R
Previous Kwakas
Zephyr 750
H2A x 2
Z1-R x 2
Z900
Z650
H1B
slimey
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Kwakked Up » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:13 am

paint looks great, money well spent.

looking forward to more updates
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby slimey » Mon May 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Got the o-rings I needed for the fuel pipes from local engineering spares firm - 7mm (id) x 11mm (od) and re-assembled the carbs (again!)
Set up the synchronisation using the wire gauge method - now ready to fit to bike (again!)
Luckily I decided to leave all the aircleaner & silencer hardware off when I first realised there was a problem with the rich running
- I can see why people do away with the original aircleaner system and go with pods - much easier to remove/fit the carbs!

Once I get the setup right, I'll be refitting the original aircleaner stuff. The Delkevic exhaust mob reckon that mods are not usually necessary to
the jetting as long as the exhaust is fitted as supplied (ie no baffling removed). I'll be paying a visit to my local M/C mechanic (who has a full dyno setup) to check
the mixtures/emissions at various throttle settings anyway.

Hope to get the carbs back on in the next day or so!
Will let you know how it goes.
Current Project
'78 Z1-R
Previous Kwakas
Zephyr 750
H2A x 2
Z1-R x 2
Z900
Z650
H1B
slimey
Warming up
Warming up

Postby kawadave » Mon May 02, 2016 9:53 pm

Paint work looks great Slimey...getting close now. :kuda:

Took my two babies to "The Wool Shed classic" this weekend.

Don't knock my turbo lag - it gives your naturally aspirated a chance..

2013 Motogp tipping champ.

83 GPZ 750 Turbo
78 Z1R 1000
80 Z1R Mk11
07 ZRX 1200r
83 GSX1000sd Katana

https://www.youtube.com/user/htmonaro
kawadave
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby wiggy » Wed May 11, 2016 2:24 pm

Slimey,

Able to give me a (sound) report on the Delkevic pipes yet?
Wiggy
wiggy

State: South Australia

Postby slimey » Wed May 11, 2016 2:59 pm

Hey Wiggy,

I have fired it up just recently, but haven't been able to cure an overly rich mixture problem (all throttle settings and idle).
Think I'm on the money with float levels too high - tried everything else!

Sound report .....the bike has a nice throaty rumble when it does decide to idle and has a sharp roar/bark when the throttle is "blipped."
This is with all the baffling in place - when I get it running properly I'll give it a try with the primary then secondary baffle out
then no baffles to see how it sounds/goes!
I'm happy with the sound - just need to get this carb problem sorted.
Current Project
'78 Z1-R
Previous Kwakas
Zephyr 750
H2A x 2
Z1-R x 2
Z900
Z650
H1B
slimey
Warming up
Warming up

Postby wiggy » Wed May 11, 2016 3:44 pm

Thanks mate, good enough for me (would have to be compared to original mufflers!!)
Wiggy
wiggy

State: South Australia

Postby Gosling1 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:53 pm

great progress so far - looking forward to a video when its done, to hear that exhaust, thinking about a Delkevic for my Z1000A1

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby slimey » Thu May 26, 2016 11:36 am

Hope to get 'er flashed up this weekend.
Rebuilt the starter motor clutch with new high tensile bolts, dowel pin, rollers, pins and springs.
(see pic of old Vs new bits - no wonder it made a racket, with the bolts and dowel pin rattling around!)
This must've been done by whoever rebuilt the motor and forgot to use decent bolts with loctite
and torque them correctly!

Tried to get the boss on the starter motor gear built up using hardchrome process - went to Chromax in W'gong
and explained the job to the bloke there. He said that he would not be able to do it -
not enough clearance for the metal spray/hardchrome and grinding equipment - Bugger!
In desperation I did order a replacement from Partzilla, was gonna cost me about AUD$500 with shipping and exchange rate.
But after I got my hopes up and placed the order they came back and said "sorry, NLA"

The OD of my clutch gear boss has a minimum measurement which is .020"
below that of the unworn portion near the face of the gear. Has anyone any data on what theirs is please?
I'd like to compare with others to confirm if this is fairly normal.
I can't believe that this small amount of wear would be enough to disable the starter.
I think that the unsecured clutch body wobbling around caused the rollers to slip on the gear boss.
Attachments
Starter Clutch Pins and Screws.JPG
Starter Clutch Pins and Screws.JPG (75.76 KiB) Viewed 14695 times
Current Project
'78 Z1-R
Previous Kwakas
Zephyr 750
H2A x 2
Z1-R x 2
Z900
Z650
H1B
slimey
Warming up
Warming up

Postby slimey » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:22 pm

Got starter clutch re-assembled and re-fitted to the bike.
Was gonna take it to the bike shop to see if they could sort out the carb/?? problem.
But thought I'd try another brand new set of NGK B8ES plugs just to satisfy myself.

Fitted new plugs, fuel on, ign on, clutch in and hit the starter. Starter clutch engaged, no problems/noises (apart from the usual).
"Brrrrmm," away she went - fired up almost straight away and settled into a steady idle (a bit rich still).
After I said "I don't believe it" to mate Tony, who arrived just in time for the start, I let it idle for a while.
I backed off the choke and it continued steadily with no problems (still a bit rich). I then stopped it and let it sit for a couple of minutes
then started it with no choke - fired up and again, idled nicely with good throttle response - no hesitation/spitting back but still a bit rich.

Anyway after we'd recovered ourselves from the shock of it starting/running we took the bike to the bike shop for a final tune and
checkup to see all is ok - hope to get it back by midweek so I can get it registered and on the road for the local club "Kickstart Rally"
which is for veteran, vintage and classic machinery.

Will post some more pics when assembly is complete and hopefully a video of the engine/exhaust note for Gos.
Current Project
'78 Z1-R
Previous Kwakas
Zephyr 750
H2A x 2
Z1-R x 2
Z900
Z650
H1B
slimey
Warming up
Warming up

Postby slimey » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:38 am

Was hoping to complete the rebuild over the long weekend and tried hard to do so.
However, not to be - got the bike back from the bike shop on Friday PM after parting with a few $AUST and the story was good.
The carb setup and timing all checked out ok, no issues there.

Some smoke out the exhaust was attributed to the new pistons/rings not yet bedded in and not too much fuel, as I thought - fuel levels are ok.
Apparently the Wiseco pistons with cast iron rings (with which I'm told it is fitted) take a while to do so but are superior in the longer term.
It now just needs some good long runs to settle everything down.

Anyway Saturday I thought I've got 3 tasks :
1. Take off carbs, refit aircleaner, refit carbs
2. Fit gauges, headlight and fairing
3. Fit front mudguard

Thought - "I'll take the easy one (Front guard)to get myself warmed up then move on to another task."

Hohoho - easy?? - I DON'T think so! As it turned out there's not enough clearance between the forks (with wheel fitted) to get the guard in. So off come the calipers, the front wheel and spread the forks slightly to give enough clearance for the guard when "Thump!" down comes the bike on its forks as the bike slips off the support under the engine!! As I tried to get it back up onto the support the bike moved forward and the bloody centrestand retracted! Bugger, now we're resting on the forks and the 4:1!

So off to get a block and tackle to lift the bike back up. Luckily big brother arrived about then on '02 Bonnie on a ride south and decided to drop in. Between us we got the bike back up off the forks and zorst and using a scissor jack gently spread the forks enough to get the guard in place. When torquing up the fourth of the 4 bolts securing the guard I felt it give and thought uh-oh, that'll be the thread stripped. It was - the thread in the leg was shot (not the bolt) so out comes the helicoil kit and we repaired the thread. We decided to do all four threads as this guard is not coming off again anytime soon!!

All this friggin around took us through to beer time and I thought - "All this for a stinkin guard - easy eh?!!"
(More to follow in another post - page keeps rolling back and is giving me the shits!)
Current Project
'78 Z1-R
Previous Kwakas
Zephyr 750
H2A x 2
Z1-R x 2
Z900
Z650
H1B
slimey
Warming up
Warming up