no current to starter button

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

no current to starter button

Postby ianlh » Mon May 25, 2015 7:08 pm

1985 A2 900R. Just put motor into powder coated frame, everything works except motor won't spin using starter button. Used cable direct from battery to starter motor and motor spins. All interlock switches are ok. Normally I can fix stuff like this but am stuck.
Does anyone have any ideas please? :kuda:
ianlh

Bike: GPz900
State: Western Australia

Re: no current to starter button

Postby Smitty » Mon May 25, 2015 9:28 pm

.. def checked that the neutral switch and stand switches are working?

if they are def ok... then work backwards from starter thru loom to starter button
(check each connection and also for continuity)
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R
State: Victoria

Postby ianlh » Tue May 26, 2015 9:39 am

Hi Smitty
Yes the neutral and stand switches are working fine. I have a feeling maybe its the kill switch because I remember when ignition is on, the warning lights brightness changes very slightly when you flick the kill switch. I can usually find faults like this but have been at it for ages and has me stuck. Bet its something really simple.
Will have another go today.
Thanks for your reply.
ianlh

Bike: GPz900
State: Western Australia

Postby pkay » Tue May 26, 2015 1:25 pm

I had the same problem with mine, went through everything. The side stand switch and starter lock outs will be a problem when you move off not when you go to start. I replaced the starter relays in the circuit board and that seemed to have fixed it for a second but no. After racking my brain for an age I then replaced the circuit board and have had no problems since. Easy job just unscrew and take off the connections and plug in the new one. Find them on eBay or from a wrecker, cheap as (and if you're lucky they'll have all the relays in as well which aren't cheap!).
PK
"Too many bikes is never enough"
ZXR750H1,GPX750R,GPz600R,750,900R,1000RX,KR250,Z1a,Mach3,Z1300 and..
pkay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Queensland

Postby Greedy » Tue May 26, 2015 1:50 pm

No starter relay on that model?
Greedy
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby pkay » Wed May 27, 2015 1:21 pm

Is on mine?
PK
"Too many bikes is never enough"
ZXR750H1,GPX750R,GPz600R,750,900R,1000RX,KR250,Z1a,Mach3,Z1300 and..
pkay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Queensland

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:26 pm

depends on what you mean by 'starter relay'......every bike has a starter solenoid, which is basically the relay which allows current to flow to the starter motor directly from the battery. The GPz9 also has a couple of relays fitted to the main electrical board. These can get some serious corrosion issues for bikes used/stored anywhere near the coast.

The very slight dimming of the idiot lights when the kill switch is turned to 'On' - is 100% normal. What happens is that when you move the kill switch to the 'on' position, it switches battery current through the switch to the coils. The result is a slight reduction in the +12v signal to the idiot lights, which results in a very slight dimming and is not a sign that anything is wrong.

My guess is the words 'powder-coated frame' are the source of the problem. You need to make sure that every earth lead is working properly. When frames are powder-coated, this can often result in the new coating, preventing the earth bolts from providing a good solid ground connection. Check them all, especially the ignition coil brackets and the main earth lead from the battery to the frame/motor.

That is where I would be starting.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion