Crankcase breather

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Crankcase breather

Postby wiggy » Fri May 08, 2015 3:18 pm

'77 Z1000, have removed carbies and air box, K&N pods on new Keihin carbs.

What to do about crancase breather tube? Internal of air box very clean so no issues with oil/sludge, I think breather filter is unnecessary. Thought I might run stiff tube 2 or 3 inches straight up (to let any oil mist condense and drop back into crankcase) and then right angle to vent to back of bike.

Does any air come back into engine? The original vent coms into airbox before air filter so that air getting into crankcase is not filtered.
Wiggy
wiggy

Bike: Z1000
State: South Australia

Re: Crankcase breather

Postby wiggy » Fri May 08, 2015 5:08 pm

Ok, just checked, my mistake, breather tube comes into air box AFTER the air filter so maybe indicates a filter is required?
Wiggy
wiggy

Bike: Z1000
State: South Australia

Postby BrettZZR » Fri May 08, 2015 6:04 pm

With those earlier bikes it is okay to just put a small mini-pod filter on the breather or breather tube...

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Postby Gosling1 » Sun May 10, 2015 10:30 pm

BrettZZR wrote:......With those earlier bikes it is okay to just put a small mini-pod filter on the breather or breather tube...

yeh this works fine. The breather hose is to relieve crankcase pressure, so it doesn't actually suck air in, it continually pushes air out....

The easiest thing is to just run a hose straight up from the breather and then run the tube along the frame so it exits under the seat. You can fit a small K&N filter up there which won't be seen .... :kuda:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion