KZ750 - thoughts?

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

KZ750 - thoughts?

Postby JimZXR » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm nearing the completion of my current ZXR750 build and am leaning towards a cafe racer project for next time (serial bike project guy).

After looking at my options in the green stable I've found the KZ750 and was wondering I'd anyone has owned or ridden one for a decent period and can give me any information or guidance on the bike?

Rideability, comfort, handling, performance, easy to work on, etc?

This will be a project dream I come back to a few times before I commit to buying a suitable bike as I have yet o compete ZXR750 #3 rebuild.
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750
State: New South Wales

Re: KZ750 - thoughts?

Postby bonester » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:30 pm

I had a GT750, or KZ750P. Went well. Didn't handle worth a damn, or at least compared to the GT550 I still own. 550 is a much better bike with the exception of go. :shock:
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Re: KZ750 - thoughts?

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:23 pm

JimZXR wrote:.......After looking at my options in the green stable I've found the KZ750 and was wondering I'd anyone has owned or ridden one for a decent period and can give me any information or guidance on the bike?.......Rideability, comfort, handling, performance, easy to work on, etc?.......This will be a project dream I come back to a few times before I commit to buying a suitable bike .......

Great bikes, easy to work on, parts are still out there, they are basically the same as a z650 with bigger pistons and different bodywork.

I have owned my 750 since about 1995 ? It had been pranged and needed some new bits, but when it was finished - it looked like this....

This was the first version.

The second version had a few small detail changes and ended up looking like this.....

That version above had my own 4-1 exhaust built from scratch. Not so bad from a distance ;) ......

A couple of years after this, I changed it again for the Stone Run in 2002? I think it was ? Fitted up some wire wheels, Z1000 forks, a different exhaust system, and painted a second set of bodywork in camo colours. Fitted up some Z1000 badges and heh presto - fooled everyone :kuda: ....

It had a special numberplate for this ride ......

After the Stone Run - and I mean as soon as we got home - the other Z Owners staying at my place started having a drink - I spent 2 hours on the 750 and changed it from the camo version above - to the version below. 2 hours start to finish......it was just replacing bodywork and putting some clip-ons on etc.......but this is the cafe-racer version that might give you some ideas about yours ??

I rode the bike around in this version for a couple more years.......then stripped it again, and turned it into a dirt-bike. As you do. :lol:
This was the first version....

and this is the later version with a few more mods to make it better in the bush.....

Its heaps of fun charging around the local mountains on a 750cc 4-cyl bike with an XT600 front end and long-travel shocks on the rear ...

That last photo was in Two Wheels a few years ago.

So that is the sort of thing you can do to a z750 :kuda: They are a great bike, will pull 200kmh no probs and love a thrashing. This last photo is a mate of mine sending a tyre to heaven on a GPz750 - basically the same bike, different clothes.....

Good luck with the build :kuda:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion