Max is back!

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Max is back!

Postby SNAFU » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Yahoo! Max is back!! Just had the roadworthy done on her, passed with flying colours, rego tomorrow and then back on the road where the old girl belongs.

TTFN, Dutchy

Last edited by SNAFU on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want to be a big dog you sometimes you have to piss on big tree's!"
"There are no strangers in motorcycling, just riders who have not met yet!"

http://www.facebook.com/groups/346189288739617/?fref=ts
SNAFU
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX14R
State: Tasmania

Re: Max is back!

Postby greenman43 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Gorgeous - looks fantastic !

Cheers,
Brian
07 ZX10R track 09 ZX6R road/track 93 ZXR750 race 89 GPZ900 project
Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not be following
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow
Just piss off and leave me alone
greenman43
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby SNAFU » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks Brian, she is a grand old girl and I love her dearly. She is far from stock and you will notice there has been alot of modes done on her, air ram tunnels through the fuel tank, 1502 cc big bore kit and twin spot Nissin calipers with braided lines. There are many more mod's in fact to many to mention. She is a pleasure to ride and I will be doing more work on her next year.

Thank you for the positive comment, regards Dutchy.

SNAFU
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby StuMiller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Nice mate, hope you're well!
2007 ZX6 - Road bike
StuMiller
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Kwakked Up » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Looks great mate :kuda:
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby greenman43 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:35 pm

SNAFU wrote:Thanks Brian, she is a grand old girl and I love her dearly. She is far from stock and you will notice there has been alot of modes done on her, air ram tunnels through the fuel tank, 1502 cc big bore kit and twin spot Nissin calipers with braided lines. There are many more mod's in fact to many to mention. She is a pleasure to ride and I will be doing more work on her next year.

Geez, no thanks required, Dutchy - the quality of your work makes it a pleasure. I'm hugely impresed how well the GPz fairing suits it, the bike is just sensational. A very long time ago, when I was a young bloke just getting into bikes, my local newspaper carried a story on the first Z13 to arrive at the local K dealer. As an impressions 16 year-old, I was staggered by the sheer enormity of the thing and its brutal styling.

A few years back, i was actively musing over the (admittedly deranged) idea of building one up to race in Forgotten Era. Thought process was, if a CBX is good, how much neater would a 13 be ! Aside from the horrific weight, I reckon the main issue is the shaft drive and therefore restricted gearing / rear wheel width. As far as I could tell, the output shaft was rotating the wrong way for a chain conversion (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, I'd have the perfect set of excuses lined up to race with: "Of course the field lapped me twice, do you know how heavy this is !?!", "No, I couldn't push it any harder, the frame was flexing too much", and "Mate, I would have had you, but somehow I emptied a full tank in that 5-lap race". Still, what an awesome advantage you'd have in corner entry speed - I don't reckon you could slow all that weight ewven if you wanted to :)

All jokes aside, I'd really like to have one, one day. Feel free to post more pics of yours !

Cheers,
Brian
greenman43
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby greenman43 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:37 pm

SNAFU wrote:Thanks Brian, she is a grand old girl and I love her dearly. She is far from stock and you will notice there has been alot of modes done on her, air ram tunnels through the fuel tank, 1502 cc big bore kit and twin spot Nissin calipers with braided lines. There are many more mod's in fact to many to mention. She is a pleasure to ride and I will be doing more work on her next year.

Geez, no thanks required, Dutchy - the quality of your work makes it a pleasure. I'm hugely impresed how well the GPz fairing suits it, the bike is just sensational. A very long time ago, when I was a young bloke just getting into bikes, my local newspaper carried a story on the first Z13 to arrive at the K dealer in Christchurch. As an impressionable 16 year-old, I was staggered by the sheer enormity and brutal styling of the beast.

A few years back, I was actively musing over the (admittedly deranged) idea of building one up to race in Forgotten Era. Thought process was, if a CBX is good, how much neater would a 13 be ! Aside from the horrific weight, I reckon the main issue is the shaft drive and therefore restricted gearing / rear wheel width. As far as I could tell, the output shaft was rotating the wrong way for a chain conversion (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, I'd have the perfect set of excuses lined up to race with: "Of course the field lapped me twice, do you know how heavy this is !?!", "No, I couldn't push it any harder, the frame was flexing too much", and "Mate, I would have had you, but somehow I emptied a full tank in that 5-lap race". Still, what an awesome advantage you'd have in corner entry speed - I don't reckon you could slow all that weight even if you wanted to :)

All jokes aside, I'd really like to have one, one day. Feel free to post more pics of yours !

Cheers,
Brian
greenman43
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby SNAFU » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:02 am

Brian!
The ZG1300-6 can be converted to chain drive but takes a fair bit of work and could use a 6th gear overdrive in her. I have owned Max from new in 1986 and was written off in 1994 when I hat a car head on. It took 2 years to rebuild both of us. When I came over to Tassie I put her in the Tassie Auto Museum for 5 years and then pulled her out 2 years ago and put her back on the road. Apart from the many mods due to her I have braced the frame and made the swinging arm/final drive stronger. Most of the work was done buy a good mate of mine named Gert Roewer who lives in Victoria. He has a real passion for old motorcycles and is really a very clever man. I thought up most of the mods and got him to do them. The bike is a pleasure to ride and next year I am going to rebuild the Olhin shocks and fix an oil leak in her. Apart from that she runs spot on, in fact last ride she did 300 k's and never used a bit of oil or water. I intend to put her on SI (special interest) plates in two years and hopefully she will be around for many years to come. She is the perfect partner for my ZX14R Blaster 2 and good to ride when I want a slow easy ride.

TTFN, Dutchy
Last edited by SNAFU on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SNAFU
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby greenman43 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Great pics Dutchy, of a lovely pair of bikes - many thanks ! Nice to know a chain conversion is possible, although realistically not something I'm ever likely to do :(

Cheers,
Brian
greenman43
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular