KH100 gearbox question

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

KH100 gearbox question

Postby DannyBoy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Hey everyone.

I ventured into restoring a KH100EL and being my first bike with no mechanical experience I did it backwards. In hindsight I should have rebuilt the whole engine to begin with and then dealt with making it pretty.

Alas, here it is: pretty but needs a complete rebuild. This has me in a position where it ain't gonna be worth much as it is so I may as well blow a whole lot more money on it.

So, as well as everything else in the bottom end, I need to replace the gearbox. The guy who has it apart tells me it is pulverised :shock: . Does anyone know if the gearboxes in these varied a lot over the years or were they pretty much the same?
DannyBoy

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning
State: South Australia

Re: KH100 gearbox question

Postby robracer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:43 pm

resto looks great, but as far as engine parts go it will be hard ....... most of the good stuff & motors from wreckers would have been taken for bucket race bikes :?
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby h.b.bear » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Nice resto indeed 8) Not sure on parts but if you surf the net you may be able to pick up complete bike with what you need .good luck
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX

Postby DannyBoy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Thanks guys. Just the paint and the muffler is new. The chrome is a bit pitted but it's otherwise not bad.

Any ideas on how I might find out whether the gearbox in a 79 is the same as a 91? You can't get parts numbers from Kawasaki online for anything pre 1984 so it makes it difficult.

I'm half thinking about throwing in the towel on this one. It's my first bike and I love the way it looks but it's looking like a lot more $ and pain before I get to ride it again. Unfortunately, with an engine in pieces and needing a rebuild it probably ain't worth much.

Need my spirits raised.

Signed,

Dejected
DannyBoy

Postby robracer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Bucket racing forums or facespace ....... I an sure all your questions can be answered ;)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby h.b.bear » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:36 pm

find somthing like this might be a help

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KAWASAKI-KH1 ... 1c30f60c18
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX

Postby DannyBoy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:15 pm

Cheers folks. I'm alternating hot and cold on what to do next. Still waiting for the needed parts list from my rebuild guy.

robracer, you wouldn't happen to have some links to bucket forums would you? i wouldn't know where to start.

Hey h.h.bear. I'm considering finding a parts bike but I'm wary because who I guess I won't know what the gearbox will be like until it is all apart. Though, it is definitely food for thought. Cheers.
DannyBoy

Postby robracer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:26 pm

robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby DannyBoy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Thanks for the link.

I am currently trying to find out if this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KAWASAKI-KH1 ... 695wt_1166 will fit. :?
DannyBoy

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:38 pm

DannyBoy wrote:.... You can't get parts numbers from Kawasaki online for anything pre 1984 so it makes it difficult.....

yeh you can. Get then here :kuda:

nice resto btw. Looks great

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby DannyBoy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:30 pm

I should clarify. The KH100 stopped being sold (maybe?) in the USA in 1977 so Kawasaki.com only shows parts diagrams up until then. I've since got a parts diagram from my Kwakka dealer (only the transmission, forgot about the whole bottom end. silly me.) and they seem to match with the 76/77. I imagine these simple bikes didn't change much over the years hence why I've purchased a 1992 KH100 transmission from the UK and HOPING it will be the same. :shock:
DannyBoy

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:02 pm

I think you should be OK - can't 100% guarantee it but maybe 99% ;)

This range of little 2T commuters/trailbikes started life as an 80cc model back in the 60's, then grew to 90cc then 100cc where it stayed for decades. There were a few updates over the years - my 1969 G3SS has a really heavy cast-iron barrel where later G7's had a nice light aluminium barrel.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby DannyBoy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:33 am

Cheers Gosling! 99% is good enough for me. I gave myself a 90% chance so using our collective logic I think we are onto a winner. Fingers crossed. :)

The complete 1992 transmission arrived today from the UK - super quick - and it is in really top nick. The busted transmission is with my rebuild guy but he has sent me some photos and they look identical to me. But I imagine all transmissions look basically the same :shock: . Though, I can't imagine them changing transmissions over the years for these basic little engines.

So, we are getting there. I've got a NOS con-rod kit coming in from Thailand, and I already have the piston (AUS) and rings (USA). Next up bearings, seals and gaskets.

What do you guys think about:
- Do I look into rebuilding the carb and returning it to stock?
- Should I look at replacing points, coil and condenser? I already have a spare condenser.
- Aesthetics :D The side covers are pretty patchy/blotchy inconsistent, should I look at bead blasting/painting or just polishing them up by hand?

I think by the time it's the middle of winter she will be ready to go :roll:
DannyBoy

Postby DannyBoy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:42 am

Every time I start to lose patience with this thing - this is my only bike, and my first resto/doer-upperer - I take a look at this photo to remind me how far the little thing has come. :D

Look at it! What a rust bucket.

DannyBoy

Postby red_dave » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:46 am

Hey DannyBoy - i found this site was really helpful - KawaRestoGoodness

:kuda:
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda