Cherry

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: Cherry

Postby kawadave » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Gosling1 wrote: :lol: yes I think the kids had been playing with those....... new_shocked.gif

I'll let you off this time mate..... :cheesy:
Last edited by kawadave on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't knock my turbo lag - it gives your naturally aspirated a chance..

2013 Motogp tipping champ.

83 GPZ 750 Turbo
78 Z1R 1000
80 Z1R Mk11
07 ZRX 1200r
83 GSX1000sd Katana

https://www.youtube.com/user/htmonaro
kawadave
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:35 pm

well it looks like I can't get a rear tyre now until the end of farken July !! :shock: :x :x Got the front Dunlop a week or 2 ago, but the 130 rear is on back-order, which is a pain in the coight.

Will update this thread when I get the rear tyre sorted - until then, no rolling chassis and no progress....... :?

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:40 pm

:shock: been a while between drinks for this thread as well :lol: and quite a bit has been done to this bike in the meantime......

Having a look at the build photos above - well since then, I have sorted out a rolling chassis. With the GPz1100A1 now getting some ZRX forks - this meant I had a complete spare GPz front end complete with brand-new Tarozzi fork brace. Rather than just park this somewhere, I thought it would be better used on this bike.

All that is needed to change, to bolt in a complete 83 front end into a 77 frame - is a change of top steering head bearing :kuda: One with a larger diameter inner race. The outer diameter and width of the top bearing does not change, nor does the installed height.

So the complete ZX1100A1 front end was bolted in. At the moment I am still using a 19" chrome front guard (the ZX front wheel is 18") - so will have to source another front guard. But for the time being - the old guard looks fine.

Fitting the rear wheel was a tad more difficult :shock: - the ZX1100 swingarm is a chunky rectangular section aluminium number, with a pretty wide spacing between the chain adjusters..........whereas the 77 swingarm is your standard skinny steel-tube shitter common to all early Zeds. The only good thing about the swingarm on Cherry, is that it was braced - quite well - many years ago.

So in order to squeeze in the ZX rear wheel - many things had to be made a bit thinner than they used to be. I had to shave off about a mm off the inside of the chain adjusters, use thinner-width axles spacers - that sort of thing. Went to a 520 conversion as well (using off-the-shelf standard Kawasaki sprockets - ZX7RR 520 conversion sprockets bolt straight up to the countershaft and the ZX sprocket carrier :kuda: )

But even with a 520 conversion - the chain run was not quite straight and the chain also fouled the lower inside of the ZRX shock.....I needed to shave 6mm off the sprocket carrier, to move the chain run in enough to run straight, and also clear the shock.

So managed to do that without too much trouble :lol: :lol: and heh presto, the chain run is dead straight and everything works just fine.

I will get some pics - the bike has been a complete rolling chassis for over 12 months now, can't believe I didn't update this thread when I got the front and rear ends sorted ??

Anyway - fitted the motor as well - this is the OEM motor, but it had been fitted to Shadowfax when I did the demo laps with Croz a few years ago. It had a bit of clutch slip, so some new friction plates and updated clutch springs have been fitted. The rest of the motor is pretty much stock. When I have sorted out rego etc and got some miles aboard - the carbie conversion will be completed (using 36mm semi-flat slide CVK's from a GPZ1000RX that have been modded to suit the Z carbie spacings).

Did a lot of smaller finishing-off jobs today. Cleaned and fitted the original carbies, wired up a later ignition, sorted out some other minor wiring issues - and just before dinner fired the old girl up :kuda: :kuda: Sounds great, especially with no muffler :lol: but I just wanted to make sure all was good.

Dave#3 I hope you read this post - this is the bike slated for the CDT next year !!! Yes, the Bubba Zanetti Replica. I won't be fitting up any of the fairings yet, not until rego is done and dusted.

Stand by for pics - it looks quite good with the later wheels/brakes.

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Here are a couple of pics taken today. The bike has a really tough stance - maybe its the wider 18" wheels at both ends, wider tyres etc .....not really sure. But it looks great :kuda:

Can't wait to take it for a spin really - with all the frame bracing that has been done, and the upgraded suspension - it actually should handle pretty well for an old dunger :P

Here is a detail shot of the rear sprocket and 520 chain. Plenty of clearance now with those wasteland mods ;)

Yes there is no headlight or paint yet - but these are just minor inconveniences :lol: expect some photos from the rego inspection within a month. I am on a deadline with this bike - it has to be finished and regoe'd before the MFP12 runs out of rego in early April. This bike will be my go-to bike over the winter months until spring, when it will be placed on club rego....

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby dutchy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Looking good. :D
I plan on living forever..............so far so good!!
Self appointed official poon-tang image supplier to KSRC
2010 KSRC MotoGP tipping champion

1998 ZX7R
1982 GPZ 550
dutchy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX7R
State: Victoria

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Have updated the carbie conversion thread for this bike - but have some other updates which will be kept on this thread....

Painted the bodywork over the weekend - just a simple gloss-black rattle can job. It looks fine and will be good the for intended end result - a Bubba Zanetti Replica :kuda:

With all the bodywork looking flash and shiny - the old shitty condition of the motor really sticks out like dogs balls now. The frame and wheels etc all look great - but the motor looks like shit.

So there are some improvements in the pipeline, once rego has been sorted out. I will be running Cherry past the mechanic shortly - could even be as soon as this week. Everything is working well - lights, indicators all that palaver - is fine. Tyres are good - it will shit a rego inspection in.

I won't actually start on the mods to fit the big La Parissienne fairing until the bike has been ridden for some time - want to make sure it is reliable and working well in the first place. But the frame already has a massive bracket welded to the steering head, ready for a big fairing bracket to be bolted up. Both the upper fairing and lower fairing require a bit of work to come up to scratch - nothing huge, just some tidying-up. I also have to get an Airtech seat from ebay to complete the bodywork for the Bubba Zanetti conversion.

Really looking forward to getting back on this bike every day, the short strop I went on today felt sensational - the carbies work really well and the bike feels nice and tight.

pics to come shortly :kuda:

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Phil » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:59 pm

Cant wait to see it in action, may have to arrange a trip to our nations capital to see it, PC and even do a bit of a run with you and Mick C ;)
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Phil » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Oh, BTW, should'nt this bike have a set of Gazi's on it by now?
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Glen » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:22 pm

You would've thought so wouldn't you. :)
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:55 pm

Glen wrote:......You would've thought so wouldn't you. :).....

the Gazi's are for the Pearl ! :lol: Cherry has a set of almost-new ZRX shocks on board - although it would not take long to fit up the Gazi's and see how they go.....

Good news is that the old girl has been fitted with the tank and carbs for a while now, its basically an instant start from cold despite not having balanced the carbs yet, maybe need to wind up the idle mixture just a tad richer - but she starts and runs smoothly every time.

Next week is d-day for the rego inspection. 6 months standard rego then she get transferred to Club rego in spring. Will be fun to ride around on the old girl during winter and even better to get some club plates on later in the year.......and the Bubba Zanetti fairing sorted out !! This will be the bike that gets a chance at the 2015 CDT. Should be fun, even if it will be up the back of the pack.

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Gosling1 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Cherry is booked in for a rego inspection this Friday :kuda: :kuda: everything working well, still have to balance the carbs but they do feel pretty good.

If all goes to plan, will be riding this old girl on the local MRA Blanket Run this Saturday. Can't wait to climb aboard an old Zeddie again, 6 months rego will see the old girl run through to October and then go onto Club rego.

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Time for an update on this build....

I did a number of short test-rides with the big 36mm CV carbies fitted. The bike starts and runs really easily - and pulls through the gears with much better response than the old slide carbs. The feel from the motor is of a big improvement in torque.....it just feels a lot more responsive and much gruntier ??

Unfortunately there were some teething problems. The custom inlet manifolds that were made by a good mate down here work fine - but the sealing from the new manifolds to the cylinder head is not as good as it could be.....

Normally, the slide carbs are fitted to rubber manifolds which bolt onto each inlet stub. These are pretty easy to seal up.....the new manifolds though - are aluminium spigots which bolt directly to the inlet stubs on the head - this means the sealing is a lot harder to get perfect.

The upshot being - the revs simply were not dropping as quickly as they should, between gear changes. Normally the revs drop as soon as you pull the clutch in a fraction to change gear......with the new CV manifolds - the rev's were simply ' hanging' until the next gear was selected.

Once I removed the new CV manifolds, it was easy to see why. There is a very small leak around the 2 mounting bolts - and any air-leak in this area pretty much results in the same symptoms, no matter where the air-leak is coming from.

So given the recent addition to the parts list - I will be using normal rubber manifolds and the 29mm smoothbores from the 'Fax - on Cherry for the time being. I know these will work straight out of the box with no air-leak issues.....

The rest of the build has been waiting on the swap-over of parts from the 'Fax. Now that job has been completed - I can fit up the 1105 pistons sourced from Japan a few months ago. These have already been specced for the 'Fax cylinder block and will be a perfect fit :kuda: The remainder of the build now, is just to fit the pistons to the rods, install cylinder block and head, carbs & exhaust and that is about it - the rest of the rolling chassis work has been completed ready for rego inspection.........stay tuned :lol:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Previous

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion