Cherry

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Cherry

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:44 pm

yeh its a weird name for a bike, but that is what my old 1977 Z1000A1 was christened when I picked it up back in 2000. It was painted with a classic 70's paint job - Candy Apple Cherry Red with a monster metalflake !

This bike was an ex-WA bike - the owner used to ride it all over WA with some massive panniers and a home-made sissy bar that was almost 1m tall :shock: - all home-made, he was a boilermaker and his stuff was heavy-duty, but well built all the same. The bike also had a massive Vetter fairing - looked similiar to the old-school cop-bike fairing.

I purchased it from the owners brother - a dude who was in the army and hard to track down. Cannot recall the details, but somehow the sale of this bike became known to me - could have been a contact in the old Z Owners club here maybe ? - but in any case, I ended up buying this old rig for $800 with no rego.

I don't have any photos of the bike as it was, the fairing, panniers and sissy bar all came off within 1 or 2 days of the bike coming to my place. But I do have some photos of how it looked after I had ditched all of this shit ! :lol:

wire spoked front wheel, 3.5" alloy rear wheel, tank bra and O'Brien 4-1 zorst. Taken mid-2000. Ignore the 900 badges ;)

The bike was ridden pretty regularly from 2000 through to 2002. I did 1 trip up to Brisvegas with PC in late 2001......can't forget this trip, its when I found out the missus was preggers with #3 !! :lol: :lol:

Here is the old girl with the gold mags off the Pearl, Gearsack rack fitted for the Brissie trip, and some other exhaust - I think the O'Brien would have been fitted to the Black Pearl for its 2001 PCRA season around this time.......and proper 1000 badges this time. (The original wheels for this bike are Henry Abe mag wheels - available as a factory option for 1977 Z1000's but very rare indeed. Most of these bikes were ordered with standard spoked wire wheels).

I pranged this bike in March 2002 - almost 10 years ago to the day actually. Some young fucktard reversed out of his driveway straight into my path, I nearly missed him.....ended up with fractured radius & ulnar on left forearm and a big scar on the L leg. After this, I fixed the bike but didn't ride it much - it was then stolen in late 2002 but recovered.

I have decided to give this old girl a new lease of life - it has been patiently sitting in the annex to the 4th, waiting its turn for almost 10 years to the day........well the other week I stripped most of the bits off and gave the frame a mighty cleaning yesterday and today.....

The basic integrity of this frame is really good. Despite the prang, it is dead straight ( I hit the Hi-lux, not the bike ;) ) - none of the OEM brackets have been modified or removed - although all the additional brackets that were on the bike have been removed with the exception of 2 small ones up high near the lower triple clamp - in a typical position for a steering damper. I will be leaving these on for reasons which will become clear later in the build ...... :P

Here are some before & after shots of the detailing I have also completed this weekend, on the mag wheels. These wheels were available as a factory option on the 1977 Z1000.

Before

After

The wheels still need to have the outer perimeter polished right up, and PC will be doing a number on these with the same 2-pak he used on the wheels on the MFP12 - nice glossy black :kuda: - they should look great when finished.

So this is the start of another build story. The frame needs some bracing, I will detail this during the next couple of weeks. Then it will be off to the powder coaters. Glenno has given me a set of Rex shocks which will look great on the back :kuda: PC is lined up to throw some paint on the bodywork (which has been ready for painting for a while now) - some new tyres and then ready for historic rego !!

8)
Last edited by Gosling1 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Re: Cherry

Postby h.b.bear » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:56 pm

good to see another given a new lease of life,keep us posted i like these threads it really gets me motivated to do somthing with mine :roll: :lol:
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby dutchy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Watching, watching.........

Can't wait to track this one aswell. :kuda:
I plan on living forever..............so far so good!!
Self appointed official poon-tang image supplier to KSRC
2010 KSRC MotoGP tipping champion

1998 ZX7R
1982 GPZ 550
dutchy
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX7R
State: Victoria

Postby Six Addict » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Cos just what you needed was another build :lol:

Can't wait to see this ol dunger finished*

*which Christmas will this be? We're still waiting for the 500 triple aren't we? :P
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Six Addict wrote:........ We're still waiting for the 500 triple aren't we? :P..........

news to me mate - I don't have a H1 !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby funky » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:03 pm

Like a lot of your post's Gos, i think there will be a bit of intrest on how she's comin along.
Looking forward to seeing how she pans out 8)
06 ZX10R Green
93 ZXR750 Green
funky
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Possum » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:02 am

Luv wheels with history... looking forward to the progress!
It all comes down to how you ride it.....
Possum
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z1000
State: Western Australia

Postby the kid » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:49 am

Wanker , you won't be able to see this project through your teary eyes , from listening to Collingwood get fried all season :twisted:

That should start the AFL season off well :D
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha

Postby Six Addict » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:53 am

Gosling1 wrote:
Six Addict wrote:........ We're still waiting for the 500 triple aren't we? :P..........

So the 2fiddy was your only triple?
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:42 am

Great stuff Gos. I'm glad to see the shocks go to a worthwhile cause. How cool are the old O'brien exhausts though(that was a flash from the past). The wheels look cool too.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby MickLC » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 am

Six Addict wrote:
Gosling1 wrote:

So the 2fiddy was your only triple?

He didn't say that ;)
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:08 am

MickLC wrote:He didn't say that ;)

Maybe Pinchy was waiting for him to acquire one ;)
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Six Addict » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:04 pm

I assume it's a 750 triple then... I knew there was another triple that we haven't seen finished :lol:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:25 pm

Six Addict wrote:I assume it's a 750 triple then... I knew there was another triple that we haven't seen finished :lol:

you need to look here you nobber !! :lol:

That bike is complete and almost ready to roll.........just needs a new ignition. One that looks just like this....

it can sit in the 4th annexe and wait its turn ! :kuda:

yes Glenno those Rex shocks will be perfect for this build mate - they look way good !

unfortunately someone let the special bus stop at the KSRC bus stop..........

the kid wrote:Wanker , you won't be able to see this project through your teary eyes , from listening to Collingwood get fried all season :twisted:

:lol: Haven't heard much from the Cats supporters yet have we ? I would normally tell you to blow it out your arse, but you have too much practice at that !!! :lol: :lol:

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby the kid » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ummmm let me see
the kid