Cherry

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: Cherry

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:00 pm

cheers mate - have 1 small additional bracket to weld on tomorrow - then give the swingarm a good degreasing - I had forgotten all about it :shock: its philthy !! :lol: :lol:

When Mick brings over the wheels tomorrow I'll bung up some more shots.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:08 pm

OK time for an update on this build.......

Finished the final jobs to the swingarm during the week - cleaned it right up, added a bracket for the OEM chain guard, and found about 25 years worth of dust and road-grit inside the big gusset that has been welded to the front of the swingarm.... :shock:

Took the frame and swingarm over to the powdercoaters place yesterday - old mate who has run the joint for 30+ years is looking at retirement, but his young bloke will be taking over. The old fellah used to ride around WA on a Z1A back in the 70's, and loved the bracing job on the frame - he ran his finger over a couple of the welds and said " I'll get the young bloke to Mig up some of these little slag holes for you - get them all looking nice...." :kuda: cool bananas I know what will happen, he will get every weld looking 100% before they blast & coat !! Gotta love that.

So with a bit of luck I will get the frame back in a couple of weeks with the welds looking 100% purty and the frame/swingarm all nice and semi-gloss black......if it looks anything like the job they did on the 10000RX frame I will be over the moon....

I dug through the disc rotor collection the other night, to find the best set of un-drilled Z9 rotors I had. Found a set that were dirty, but with >5mm thickness on each disc - and basically unscored - these have gone to a local bloke for a very slight skim - just to tidy them up before they get bolted to the wheels.......aah yes the wheels..... :kuda:

PC bought these over on Tuesday - they look farken great, even though they haven't been polished yet ! :shock: here are some pics....

I will be giving these a polish over the weekend, and fitting some new wheel bearings to the front wheel. The rear wheel has already had new bearings fitted. Some nice K591F Dunlops are on the way - I love these tyres, they are a sticky (well, sticky in a relative sense :lol: ) sports tyre for old-school dungers like the Zthou.

Once the wheels have been polished and discs & tyres fitted, I will bung up some more photos. While the frame is being sorted out, that gives me some time to detail a lot of the smaller bits - paint up the headlight shell, triple clamps, detail the switchblocks - that sort of thing. There is a box full of shite that needs detailing..... :shock:

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby h.b.bear » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Look great Gos,was sitting in the shed the other day looking at me gpz 750 frame and thinking of your welding attemps :lol: and in realality the japs wer'nt that crash hot with their welding either on the frames in my opinion.
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:21 pm

not too bad for robots - but yeh, they sure weren't too worried about a bit of splatter here 'n' there.....

when you see a jap frame next to something like a Harris Magnum :shock: ....well the jap stuff looks like budgie shit in comparison.

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Kwakked Up » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:00 am

Hey Gos

You have been quiet on this project for a couple of weeks now, must have been that 50th birthday that no one on here seems to have mentioned. :D
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Kwakked Up wrote:.....Hey Gos

You have been quiet on this project for a couple of weeks now, must have been that 50th birthday that no one on here seems to have mentioned. :D......

:lol: :lol: :lol: got that right mate - all those shenanigans kicked off on the weekend of the 14th & 15th ( strangely enough right after the most recent update to the build ;) ) - and each weekend since has been hectic. Even this week after heading down to the MCG to watch the Pies beat the Bombers by 1 point !!! what a game...

Have gotten some more done on this build over this weekend though - photos coming shortly...

and here they are....

Swingarm - powder-coated and looking flash....you can see all the additional gusseting at the front, where a massive box-section piece has been welded in to brace the stock gussets.... :shock:

profile shot that shows the extra bracing along the arms.

Underneath the arm - clearly shows the extra gusseting up towards the pivot end.

Here are some shots of the frame - it looks great now the powdercoating has been finished :kuda:

Detail shot of the bracing up towards the front of the frame. 3 extra tubes between the main 3 frame tubes, 2 large gussets up at the steering head and 2 smaller additional tube gussets below the steering head. There is also 1 large tube between the 2 downtubes - this sits just under the bend of the exhaust system when everything is fitted up...

That's about it for the updates - apart from the headlight bucket, and top & bottom clamps which were all sprayed up today in gloss black. The triple clamps have been fitted up - and the order for some new parts has gone over to the US today. When these bits turn up, I will be able to fit up the swingarm (new needle rollers) and rear shocks ( ZRX jobbies thanks Glenno :kuda: ) and get busy with the front forks (new springs, seals etc). The wheels have had the outer perimeter polished up but have yet to do the spokes. New bearings were fitted to the front rim yesterday. The wheels look great and I should also have the disc rotors back this week after getting a light skim to remove some surface blemishes.

onward ever onward.............

8)
Last edited by Gosling1 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Phil » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Ok, so we are waiting :D
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:14 pm

up there now mate :P ....
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby h.b.bear » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:55 pm

looking good Gos,just out of curiosity how much to get a frame blasted and powder coated know days as i will be doing one in the near future hopfully
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:58 pm

depends on the condition - this one got some extra lovin' at the shop to fill some slag holes so that added about $80 to the normal price of $150. That is what I paid for the 1000RX frame - it was just blasted and p/coated.

Discs haven't been finished yet - hopefully should be done this week. When the bits come in from Z1 Enterprises, I will be able to bolt up the swingarm & shocks, new fork bits are still a couple of weeks away.

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Kwakked Up » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:02 pm

so is this old girl gunna get the zx6rr forks etc? oh yeah :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:10 pm

not this one mate - this one is getting a nice set of ZRX shocks and just some Hagon progressive springs in the stock front end....

the ZX6 forks will be going onto another bike......one that will look a lot like this ;)

Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Kwakked Up » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:49 pm

:supz:
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Six Addict » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:00 pm

Frame's looking good man!! That red bike is horn... Has the old zx6/zx9 tail on it yeah? And the whole subframe yeah?
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:20 pm

thanks buddy :) - yeh that 'fightered GPz has a ZX9 tailpiece and I think a ZX9 swingarm - the very last model had a swingarm like this. I want one just like it :lol: - I probably won't make a start on this build until next year as I have to save for the trip overseas :? - but basically I will be doing a streetfighter build based on a 1984 ZX1100 with ZX9 rear end, ZX6RR front end, that old Shadowfax-style fibreglass tank and some MX bars !! :lol: :lol: It will look like nothing else out there !!

But for the moment - concentrating on Cherry so I have something to ride !

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion