Coca Cola 800 - 1981.

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: Coca Cola 800 - 1981.

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:56 pm

(cont)....there is a mention in here, of a certain Kawasaki crew looking for the loan of an alternator cover ! :lol: Wonder who that could have been ??

That is all from REVS for this particular race meeting. I will be checking Two Wheels shortly to see what coverage they gave, but back in those days - all the sport was reported in REVS, and all the latte-sipping wanker stories about touring were in TW ! :lol: They did a bit of coverage of races, but nothing at all like REVS did. AMCN back then was very Victoria-centric. There may be a mention of the 1981 Coca Cola 800, if there is anything in the library I will dig it out.

One other thing which has come to light over the past couple of nights.........Eric & Douglas ! For those out there with memories long enough to recall the adventures of these 2 sidecar-riding nutcases, I will be doing some Eric & Douglas scans as well........these are priceless !!! :kuda:

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby yzr750 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Awesome stuff, seems roadbike based superbike racing was a lot more popular over here than it was in the UK, our racing at the time was mostly proper racebikes tz's rg's etc, stock standard production bikes or the old F1 class, which was roadbike engines in a full race chassis. I always remember freezing my nuts off in the winter and reading about the swan series over here and wishing I had the funds to come over for it.
yzr750
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning
State: Queensland

Postby s man » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Awesome just Awesome.
Hey Goz have a dig through & see if you have anything about the Yamaha 750k race? I think 81 or 82.[just guessing] It was only run once & never run again. We raced in it & I think the results turned into a shitfight, something about lap scoring or the like? I know we got a cheque for a placing, but Im sure we didnt come home in that place. Cant remember what it was ????
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:28 pm

No worries Steve - I am right in the middle of 1981 at the moment, I think I have seen some references to an endurance race of 750k ?? This was at Oran Park wasn't it ??

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Previous

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion