The new addition - Period 4 - S1 250 triple !!

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: The new addition - Period 4 - S1 250 triple !!

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:55 am

I would never stoop so low ! :lol: if this little bike works as a 250, it would be interesting to see how it would go as a dinkum entry in the bigger class in a following season ? May not happen for a while, as the 350 stuff is pretty hard to find........

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby yzr750 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:27 am

the kid wrote:Ah , the old Yellow plate 350 trick huh ???

I always thought the trick was to put a green plate on a 350 :wink:
yzr750
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning
State: Queensland

Postby the kid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:45 am

yzr750 wrote:
the kid wrote:Ah , the old Yellow plate 350 trick huh ???

I always thought the trick was to put a green plate on a 350 :wink:

Whoopsie , stuffed that little joke :oops:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:03 pm

This pic has just appeared in the On Any Sunday section, Two Wheels January 2012 :supz: :supz:

those old stinkwheels live & breathe !!

Lots of things happened with this bike recently - a Marulan track day in August ( where the above picture was taken by Ray Oxford) - a couple of VJMC ACT rides - the recent Toy Run......it has had a few good outings the little triple, and been very reliable on every trip....

oh thats right - it also just about broke Brett's dyno on the dyno day back in August :laugh: - 40-year old unshielded electrics will do that every time.....

here is the dyno chart from back then - 26hp at the back wheel was actually a good result, they only put out 28 at the crank when new. The slightly bigger carbs (24mm S2 v 22mm stock) and expansion chambers are the reason for the hp increase.

:cool:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Jonno » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:12 pm

haww good stuff :kuda:

Do they do a write up and a bio, you know likes, dislikes, fav position etc :lol:
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:29 pm

:lol: no write-ups mate - but normally the *big* photo takes home some kind of prize ?? bag of goodies from a bike shop or some such ......

nothing this time around though :?

Maybe they thought that me getting off the bike in one piece was enough of a prize :kuda:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby the kid » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Nice 8)
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby MickLC » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:08 pm

I've ridden it, it's awesome....and I didn't even call it any names! (sorry Billiam) :kuda:
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:24 pm

MickLC wrote:.....I've ridden it, it's awesome....and I didn't even call it any names! (sorry Billiam) :kuda:......

it was those skinny tyres Bill !! he couldn't wait to jump on the baby triple and give it some lovin' :lol:

Have to say - a few of us were waiting at the T-intersection up at the top of Mt Mac waiting for Mick to get back from his short strop - and we heard this little jigger maybe 20 seconds before he came into view ?? :shock: it sounds *fantastic* at full noise, a reall banshee scream and Mick was fair up it for the rent as well.....

It had no oil-pump when I first got it, so has always run on pre-mix. It seems to really like a 30:1 mix of R30 castor oil......after 5 minutes of riding, there is almost no smoke at all coming out the back......well not that I can see :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to see how this baby goes on methanol at the BSFOS !! :shock:

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:48 am

this

:kuda: :kuda:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby MAXUMIS » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Awsesome vid,they sound great!like a 20B rotary. 8)
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R
State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:25 pm

well I was googling for some H1 port maps for Dave , and found these pictures of a modded S1 from Canada .... :shock:

how cool is this little jigger ??

:kuda:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby ProblemChild » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:09 pm

nice. :kuda:
dirty,mean&mighty unclean,
Im a wanted man
im slightly schizophrenic me & me & me agree
GRAVELRASH | rock on facebook or GRAVELRASH on Reverb nation
ProblemChild
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:09 pm

Been a while since an update on this little jigger......and time is of the essence now :shock:

Last year I sorted out some new wheels for the S1. Darryl Groat from Moose Racing laced me up some nice ally rims - although it took some convincing to get them as fat as I wanted :lol: Anyway they now have some nice Avon AM22/23 tyres fitted, the rear is a special construction especially for skinny rims, 130 section :shock: can't go fast on skinny tyres someone told me, sounds like good advice....

Been busy over the last couple of weekends sorting out some mods to make sure these new rims fit, the old wheels were 70's-era OEM kawasaki mags from some unknown model, with a disc brake front and rear. So I had to modify the fork leg to suit the twin-leading shoe drum brake front end......and fit up a new swingarm to the back. The swingarm that was fitted, was too narrow for the new fat tyre :oops: The replacement swingarm is from fuck-knows what, but it is steel and the right width :lol: came with some spares when I picked up that GPz600R a couple of weeks agol.

So new shock mounts have been welded into place - and the back wheel now looks pretty good fitted up. Same with the front-end.....the spoke wheel and drum brake look much more period-specific....

One other interesting thing about these drum brakes.....I had to source them from ebay as I have only limited parts for these baby triples. The brake drums came with old fucked shoes as you can imagine. Today I was searching for replacement brake shoes for both ends, and found a few examples across the US for about $70 per pair delivered........hmmmmm. Maybe I should check that stash of NOS drum brake shoes in the 4th ?

Many years ago I picked up a stack of parts in Sydney really cheap - it was a bloke who used to own a shop, and had shut down some time earlier. His missus was sick of all the parts taking up room in the shed, so he cleared out the lot for SFA. All I was after was all the disc brake pads for Z1000 models - I think there were about 30 pairs of these in the original Vesrah packaging ? So I got those, together with a heap of other brake parts ( and other stuff ;) ). .....today I went through that pile of brake shoes and found 5 sets of rear brake shoes for the S1/S2/S3 series ( also suit a lot of other smaller kwakka's from that era). These were still in the original Vesrah packaging. Win !!

But couldn't see any shoes for the front twin-leader. I did have some front shoes but they were marked for Suzuki T315 and T250 models.....well I grabbed a pair and sat them next to the shitty front shoes.......fark me they were identical ! There are about 6 pairs of these in the stash !!

So pretty happy with that outcome, I won't have to buy new brake shoes for at least 1 season :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will bung some pics up tomorrow, the bodywork was painted up in winning lime a few weeks ago and looks heaps better than the baby-blue paintjob that came with the bike. At this stage the frame and motor still have not been detailed but that will happen over the course of the season. All I need at the moment is some good log-book photos. First round is May 4th !!! FMD OMFG !!!! :lol: :lol:

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Nelso » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:22 pm

Git-r-dun!!!!! :twisted:

I've been working feverishly..... ok, casually, on the LC to get her ready for the NSW Titles for a shakedown run so that it's ready for the first round. You better be there with the baby triple ready to rock n roll! I can't wait for it, it should be a ripper round. :kuda: I take it you, Stace and Mick will be garaging together? We were hoping that Robracer, Leanne and myself could get a double garage with you guys and there would be two more spots for anyone else that you had in mind to join us. Stevo is going to pit with his usual crew. It would be cool if we could request a triple garage so that we could all jump in together and avoid any unnecessary walking. :oops: :lol:
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

PreviousNext