Latest addition to the 4th......1983 ZX1100A1 (GPz1100)

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: Latest addition to the 4th......1983 ZX1100A1 (GPz1100)

Postby Phil » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:03 pm

plane wrote:
Gosling1 wrote:Hi Pete - long time no see mate :kuda:

Let me know what you need, there are a few places out there with bits for these bikes - I know a bloke down here who has one of these in parts and hasn't done anything to it for a couple of years.

Hi Dave,

Yes it has been a while since I've frequented here as I have spending six days a week on a boat for the past year.

Haven't got the bike here yet, but it sounds as though it is about 98% there. Will let you know how it all turns out if and when the crate arrives.

Cheers,
Pete

P.S. G'day Phil!

wave.gif
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:57 pm

Six Addict wrote:......bring the 2fiddy :lol:......

If I could buy methanol at every servo - I would !! :lol: :lol: :lol: It should be well able to pull the skin off a rice pudding once its chewin' alcomohol..... :twisted: :kuda: :twisted:

plane wrote:......Haven't got the bike here yet, but it sounds as though it is about 98% there. Will let you know how it all turns out if and when the crate arrives.....

no worries mate, keep us posted and I will find out what old mate down here is doing with his 7fiddy.....

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:37 pm

have been taking the old Geeper out for a fang every now and then - looks like the top-end miss has just about gone ?

It will be getting a good run next weekend, when its ridden down to the Island for the Island Classic.......can't wait to give it a bit of a whirl along the same roads we ride in the CDT.....

In other good news - I took a rear shock from my other 1100 rolling chassis into our suspension guru today - Laurie Smith. Laurie was intending to build me up a shock - but when we had a look through his stock of spare parts :shock: :P - well you wouldn't believe it but a current model S1000RR shock is basically identical in size ! It only needs a very minor bit of machining for the top mount (maybe 1mm taken off either side of the top mount to fit into the 1100 top bracket) - and the lower mount is within .5mm same width as the 1100 bottom mount !!

Sensational.............so he will do the mods, and I will end up with a really good quality rear shock - worth more than the bike ! :lol: :lol: the old shock is just fucked basically, it loses air and when you pump it up it is really harsh over decent bumps. It also sits far too low in the rear once I park my fat arse on it. The bimmer shock will fix all of this. :kuda:

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby MAXUMIS » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:46 am

Good to see the beamers are good for something :lol: 8)
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R
State: New South Wales

Postby Phil » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Gosling1 wrote:have been taking the old Geeper out for a fang every now and then - looks like the top-end miss has just about gone ?

It will be getting a good run next weekend, when its ridden down to the Island for the Island Classic.......can't wait to give it a bit of a whirl along the same roads we ride in the CDT.....

In other good news - I took a rear shock from my other 1100 rolling chassis into our suspension guru today - Laurie Smith. Laurie was intending to build me up a shock - but when we had a look through his stock of spare parts :shock: :P - well you wouldn't believe it but a current model S1000RR shock is basically identical in size ! It only needs a very minor bit of machining for the top mount (maybe 1mm taken off either side of the top mount to fit into the 1100 top bracket) - and the lower mount is within .5mm same width as the 1100 bottom mount !!

Sensational.............so he will do the mods, and I will end up with a really good quality rear shock - worth more than the bike ! :lol: :lol: the old shock is just fucked basically, it loses air and when you pump it up it is really harsh over decent bumps. It also sits far too low in the rear once I park my fat arse on it. The bimmer shock will fix all of this. :kuda:

8)

Cant wait to see it on Friday :kuda:
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:44 pm

It will be Saturday mate - I am staying up at the beach house with the kids for Thu/Fri nights this time, and heading off early on Sat. morning. I should be at the track around 0900 ? Will be there for both days and staying with Billy on Satdy night so we will have to catch up for a bourbon eh ?

:kuda:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:03 pm

well the old girl had its first real 'trip' over the weekend - trailered down to Golden Beach (Vic) - then ridden from there down to the Island Classic on Sat morning and home Sunday arvo.

I thought a trip down via Yarram / Welshpool would be worth checking out.........it was mind-numbing ! :lol: except for the nice twisties near Fish Creek ?? the rest was boring as batshit and I won't be going this way again.....

Fitted the Airhawk II, due to the harsh rear suspension. Laurie (SuspensionSmith) has already started work on the replacement shock, a modified S1000RR unit - it should be about 10000 times better :kuda:. Even with the harsh current shock, the trip was not too bad - the bike handles OK and has enough grunt to belt past anything and sit on 140-odd without raising a sweat :P

Did the trip to the circuit without stopping - pretty happy with the fuel range.

The only issue which raised its head is a simple one - the starter solenoid has carboned-up pretty badly, so it is not kicking the starter motor over. Needs a clean and that will fix it :kuda: - easy enough to bump start though ;)

Had a great ride home from the Island on Sunday arvo - weather was perfect, I decided to do the run up through Mirboo North and Morwell instead of the coast .....heaps better, even with a spot of rain near Mirboo.

Here is the 1100 down at Golden Beach.....prior to the trip

and here it is sitting outside Billy's pit at Phillip Island. Ask Stace how many punters stopped and took photos !! :lol: :lol:

The motor comes out tomorrow so it can be used in the track bike at Wakefield Park this weekend. This will also give me a good opportunity to do a trial fit of the new shock - which will also require a new (smaller) battery box. I think a z750 battery will do the trick - this will allow room for the remote reservoir on the BMW shock.

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby davo231481 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi Gos
Did you do the seat yourself and is it okay for a pillion? I like how it meets the tail peice without the big bump that the standard one does the bike looks great and is an inspiration.
I only drink to make my friends more interesting.
davo231481
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Other Kawi
State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 pm

Its a Corbin seat mate - got it from Dave (GPz750Turbo) up in Bundaberg last year or maybe 2010 ?? He originally got it for his Turbo after being told it was the same one as the 1100.......but the mounting points were slightly different so I ended up buying it from him.

It is a great seat - a tad hard for long trips (hence the Airhawk II) - but for around town and local scratching - perfect :kuda:

Not sure about pillions, as I have no pillion pegs - for some reason most of my bikes don't have pillion pegs ?? Just can't work that one out..... ;)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Phil » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:10 am

Was great to see it - and you as well of course - on the weekend Gos, I agree the GPz looks great. Cant wait for the Cathcart bike swap on the CDT............bring on the Pearl :kuda:
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:55 pm

thanks mate, yes it was great to catch up, looking forward to the CDT ! Glad you got to see the old geeper in the flesh, it is a classy old rig.

In what can only be described as sensational news - I did a trial-fit of the S1000RR shock to the other GPz1100 rolling chassis I have. The shock had already been taken out of this bike and is over at Laurie's workshop. The top mount was nice and snug, but Laurie was a bit concerned that the reservoir may have fouled on the top of the swingarm at full compression....... :?

well we fitted up the lower bolt - needed a 10mm for the lower linkage mount, but the bimmer shock has 8mm - so an 8mm bolt was used which did give a bit of play......

dropped the rear of the bike down to full compression...................and the reservoir cleared the top of the swingarm by about 2mm !!! :shock: :kuda: :kuda:

Once there is a 10mm bolt fitted, this will give a slight amount of additional clearance - and Laurie can also lengthen the shock by about 3mm pretty easily. With these mods - I can now safely fit this shock !!

The end of the reservoir only clears the chain run by about 10mm, but that should be plenty. The *only* thing I have to change - is re-locate the reg/rectifier. This is mounted under the battery box and it will foul the reservoir at full compression - but I don't have to change the battery box or move the fuel pump either :kuda:

Very happy with this. The old geeper looks very ordinary at the moment after its recent spin to the Island........I pulled the motor this morning with help from PC, and we slipped it into the P5 trackie :twisted: - all the bodywork has also been removed......and the 530 conversion stuff will be here inside a week or 2.........and I sussed out some skinny 17" wheels at the local wreckers......these can be had complete with brake rotors for <$400 the pair ! And in black......

anyway getting ahead of myself here. Stay tuned for more updates on this build over the next couple of months - it has just sort of 'happened' without any real planning, but what the hell, the bike will be heaps better when its done.

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:30 pm

Here is an update on what has been happening with the old 1100 Geeper.....

as per above, Laurie Smith from SuspensionSmith has sorted out the S1000RR shock for me. It has been modified from a 110mm stroke through to a 140mm stroke ! :kuda: :kuda: Its a big increase and results in the rear of the frame now being lifted about 30mm higher than stock. This shock has all the adjustments you would expect on a high-end shock, and I cannot wait to see how it works in the 1100 !!

Here are a couple of photos....

Fitted to the test-bed rolling chassis

Close-ups

Good clear shot out of the frame...

The bike itself is looking a bit sad at the moment - the motor is sitting in the 7/11 hybrid - still with a fried clutch from the first round of PCRA back in February :lol: - and these wheels look really dirty. I should do a number on the frame and tidy it up a bit....

I looked at some 17" wheels out at the local wreckers recently - from a GS500 - but am still not sure if I want to fit these to the 1100. So in the meantime, I have given another set of OEM 1100 wheels a big clean and detailed the spokes today - these have come up pretty well.... :kuda:

before

after

These wheels are also in line for some 2-pak from PC in black. This should look a lot tidier than those dirty white wheels currently fitted.....

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby the kid » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:42 am

Its got me rooted why anyone would want to stuff around with old shitters as much as you do Mate :twisted:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:20 am

the kid wrote:Its got me rooted why anyone would want to stuff around with old four stroke shitters as much as you do Mate when there are two strokes that can be soooo much more frustrating :twisted:

There, fixed :P

I like the red wheels Gos, all it needs now is a red, black and silver paint jobbie on the panels ;)
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby the kid » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 am

Phil wrote:
the kid wrote:Its got me rooted why anyone would want to stuff around with old four stroke shitters as much as you do Mate when there are two strokes that can be soooo much more frustrating :twisted:

There, fixed :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion