okay, let's get it back on the road.

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

okay, let's get it back on the road.

Postby paul w » Wed May 20, 2009 11:20 am

Okay, I've decided to get my 1977 Z1000 back on the road.
It's been garaged since the mid-80s but is all there. I filled the engine with a special storage oil from Castrol (who were very helpful at the time as I knew one of the engineers) and it turns over (by hand) easily. I've peered down the spark plug hole and all seems pretty good.
It was in excellent condition when stored, so do not expect many problems. Same goes for the rest of the bike.
However, I would like to hear from anyone who has completed a similar project. It's not going to be a full and concourse restoration - I want to ride the thing - but figure I'll need to replace the rubber parts in the brake system, etc., but what else?
I'm thinking the only things to replace are those that deteriorate. But what about the wheel bearings....it's been on its centerstand (remember those?) so the front wheel has had some weight on it, and has not been moved. Do I suspect a flat spot and replace anyway, or replace regardless?
Any other tips?
paul w
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Z1000
State: Please Select a State

Re: okay, let's get it back on the road.

Postby Gosling1 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:37 pm

1. New battery
2. New air filter
3. Drain tank/carbs, 1/2 fill only and 1 bottle of Wynns fuel system cleaner.
4. Check valve clearances
5. Replace engine oil & filter, and then do it again after the motor has been running/bike ridden.
6. Replace brake fluid - if you get any leaks from the calipers after a bleed, then do the brake rubbers. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.
7. Give the wheels a spin by hand while on the c/stand. If you can hear any noises, or the wheel doesn't spin freely or feels a bit *howyagoin* ( thats a technical term for fucked) - then do the bearings. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
8. Check the chain tension and give it some chain lube.
9. Give all control cables a lube.
10. Change the tyres if you really *have* to. Otherwise, I would keep using the old ones....at least for a while, get your money's worth mate :kuda:
11. Probably worth giving the steering head bearings a re-grease, or even replace them with tapered bearings if the bike is still fitted with the original ball-and-race bearings....definitely worth greasing up the swingarm pivot, and torquing this back up to OEM spec (tight).
12. *Maybe* replace the fork oil if the front end feels a bit *howyagoin* when you go for that first ride. Fresh fork oil does feel and work better than old stuff. Fork seals should be replaced if you get a ring up the fork leg.
13. Depending on what shocks are fitted to the rear.....I would probably look at replacing those as well. 7610 Ikon's are the go, or perhaps a set of Hagon shocks from Moose Racing in Melbourne. They do a nice repro-style with the chromed spring cover for <$400 a pair.
14. The seat foam will probably be fucked (dried out) after so many years. But....it may also be OK. Only replace this if its really needed.
15. Handgrips - these are also likely to be worn/stretched/falling apart (sounds like my ex...). Its definitely worth replacing these with new ones.
16. Lube the speedo and tacho cables.
17. A spray of WD40 inside the switch blocks is a good idea. Spiders hate this shit !
18. Lube the rear brake pedal pivot with a light film of grease, not WD40.
19. Replace all fuses - preferably replace the entire fuse-box with a box using blade-fuses. The old glass-type fuse used in these bikes are getting harder to find, and in some regional garages, are not stocked at all. You can get blade fuses pretty much anywhere.
20. Do the ignition-coil modification. Basically, you wire a relay into the start circuit, and power both ignition coils from the relay. Use the kill-switch supply to the coils as the +12v source for the relay. This provides a much-improved source of +12v power to the ignition coils - the result is better (instant) starting, and better overall running. Just use a normal automotive 12v relay with 2 outputs, and these are connected to the ignition coils. Great mod !
21. Once you get the old girl running properly, balance the carbies.
22. Replace the fuel filter (if fitted) - probably a good idea to replace all fuel lines anyway, they will be old and perished.....a bit *howyagoin* ..... ;)
23. The sidecover grommets may be dried/perished as well after this time in storage. If they are cracked, then replace all 6, otherwise you will lose your sidecovers the first time you wind her out....they cost a bob these days...

Thats about all I can think of, off the top of my head. Good luck with the project !!

and some pictures when you are finished would be nice.... :kuda: :kuda:

cheers
Dr Z
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby paul w » Thu May 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Many thanks. I do appreciate the tips.

As for not changing the tyres, yeah, I’ll wait till it rains and THEN go for a ride! Haha!
Actually, they are the Dunlop Arrowmax ones, good(ish) all-rounder types for the day. I was mostly sports/touring, so they were fine. Ah, the memories…I used to live on Avon Road Runners for a while.
Already got tapered bearings. A great mod.
I’ll replace the fork oil just as I’ll replace all the fluid, though interesting to hear I might not have to. I might replace the brake seals as much for my own piece of mind than anything, but will research a little more on that, and it’s good to hear I may not have to.
The shocks were Mulholland (?). Man, I threw the original ones into the bin the day I bought it…oh dear.
Yup, seat’s fucked.
I sprayed WD40 everywhere when I stored it….think this did a good job of keeping the moisture out and, get this…one bit I tested (on the exhausts) seems to have not dried, which I find, if not impossible, then bloody amazing.
Thanks for the tip about the ignition-coil mod.
I’ll also be replacing all the rubber lines…brakes, fuel, etc.
Bought a new set of side covers the day I put her away, so that’s good. Also got a full gasket kit for the engine. And a set of 29mm carbs (I think from a Z900). And new tank badges. Actually, there’s a few things. Got heaps of shims, too. Used to swap them with mates when we did tune-ups…rather than buy a new one.
paul w
Warming up
Warming up

Postby paul w » Thu May 21, 2009 12:26 pm

Oh, the best part - bought a brand new set of pipes about 6 months before I stored it. Man, that was lucky.
paul w
Warming up
Warming up

Postby smithy5 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:13 pm

Would luv to see some before and after pic's so get some shots now and as you progress...........

aaahhh the memories of the late seventies - early eighties........ what an era.......... :cry: :cry:
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter
State: New South Wales

Postby paul w » Thu May 21, 2009 3:21 pm

Photos? Okay. It's in Adelaide at the moment, but I'll be bringing it back to work on it, so I'll get some shots.
Yeah, the seventies had some great m/c designs, the Z900, BMW 90S and RS, Moto Guzzi Le Mans (mk I), Ducati 900SS...it helped that was was a young 'un, too.
I reckon the 80s sucked. Motorcycle design went down the gurgler, apart from the odd one of two.
paul w
Warming up
Warming up

Postby pbz1900 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:39 pm

Great list Gos.
pbz1900

State: Victoria

Postby paul w » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Re the rusted exhaust pipe.

thanks, mike-s, for your reply.

I'll be doing most stuff on the bike myself, but would prefer to leave this to an expert.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to take it?

The hole is a rust one, so it's going to be be bloody thin around the edges.
paul w
Warming up
Warming up

Postby paul w » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:06 pm

Had a shot of the bike to show you, but it's apparently too big (1.2Mb).

I'll get another one and try and make it smaller.

The bike's it's in good nick - fortunately, Adelaide is quite dry, and it has been in a shed, with a cotton sheet over it.

I was going to just put it all back together, and bugger how it looks, but now I'm figuring I'll get the frame sprayed and maybe even bead-blast the engine. And a new paint job. I mean, while it's apart...
paul w
Warming up
Warming up

Postby paul w » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:28 pm

Ah...it was 3.3Mb!
paul w
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:25 pm

If you are just using the standard picture software on XP - just 'edit' the photo, click on 'stretch/skew', then just reduce the % from 100 down to 30 or 40 - this will reduce the size of the photos so they fit here OK ....

:kuda:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

State: ACT

Postby paul w » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Okay, thanks for the photo tip. I'll see if this works...
Attachments
IMG_0004.JPG
paul w
Warming up
Warming up

Postby paul w » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:57 pm

The rest, the tanks and such, is nearby, all covered.
paul w
Warming up
Warming up

Postby paul w » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:04 pm

And this was it, back in the day...
Attachments
0022.JPG
paul w
Warming up
Warming up

Postby paul w » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:07 pm

I never liked the front and rear guards, although the front one I put back on. The rear was the original long thing...looked crap. I much preferred a 'cleaner' line around the rear end, as I really liked the ducktail shape...very Kawasaki, and I think the rear guard took focus off the thing. And don;t those four exhausts look the shit, eh? Although, now looking at the thing, that fairing was a bit big, but it worked really well. Did lots of miles on this one. Great shape, though.
paul w
Warming up
Warming up

Next

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion