Another Zed in the Shed !!!!

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: Another Zed in the Shed !!!!

Postby ProblemChild » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:27 pm

the kid wrote:
ProblemChild wrote:its a great pick up gos. that burnout on junior makes me laugh my bags out everytime i see it :lol: :lol:

I like his name ! Eddie Junior , reminds me more of the Munsters than some other Yank tho :lol:

good call, that would make me the hunch on his back wouldnt it ;) :D
dirty,mean&mighty unclean,
Im a wanted man
im slightly schizophrenic me & me & me agree
GRAVELRASH | rock on facebook or GRAVELRASH on Reverb nation
ProblemChild
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Postby throttlejockey » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:17 pm

ba$tard!!

just kidding.
this is the stuff dreams are made of.

on ya mate. im still lookin...
0416 123 222
throttlejockey.com.au
throttlejockey
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:53 pm

there was another one advertised locally last week - for only $750 !!! it looked a bit rougher than the one I picked up, but it was gone in under a couple of hours. Keep your eyes peeled on Bikepoint etc.....they are still out there and pop up every now and again.....

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900

Postby Gosling1 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:22 pm

Here are a couple of shots of the 6fiddy after some recent *improvements*.......I can't help meself, it only needs a few simple improvements and it will be a way better bike than the one I got in January !! :lol:

1. - Ditched the silver-frost headlight shell for a NOS chrome number from e-bay. It looks way better. Also removed the sealed beam headlight :shock: (probably the standard one from 1980 !) - and replaced with a nice Quartz Halogen number;

2. - Replaced the stock rear shocks last week with a set of 7610 Koni's off the track-bike. These are 30mm longer, and even with the pre-load wound right back to #1 position, and damping turned back to #2, they are much much better than the stock, shagged-out shitters ( these were actually bottoming out over big bumps ! Can you believe that ?? :lol: )

3. - Did a number on the instruments - I had a complete set of instruments (from the 750MX), and used these instead of the silver-frost numbers that came with the 650. Cleaned up and re-sprayed the housings yesterday in a nice gloss-black.

4. - Ditched the stock rear brake-hub and shoes (which were black), and fitted up that nice polished and tattooed brake hub........

So, the only bits left now that are 'still' that godawful abo chrome, are the rear brake light mount, the fork lowers, and the inside of the front brake rotors......thats it ! All of them soon to go....

Here are some shots of the new bits.....

Next big job will be completely replacing the stock front end with a Z1RMkII set of forks and brakes, and fitting wire wheels to front and rear........that will do me for the time being..... ;)
Last edited by Gosling1 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby JetPilot » Mon May 26, 2008 1:59 pm

What a little ripper mate. I thought I grabed a bargin. Well down Gos. Go the Z's.
Kawasaki Z1000r 2012
JetPilot
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby MickLC » Mon May 26, 2008 2:20 pm

Nice work mate, the little zeddy is coming along well. When I get the Surfer going again we definitely have to organise another Old Dungers Ride 8)
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby bonester » Mon May 26, 2008 8:31 pm

I'm trying to talk Neil (Buell Neil) into going to the Ragged Fringe rally this year which I reckon would be about half way from Canberra to Toowoomba. Maybe we could have an old Kwaka dungers meeting there. (Swabio could take his ZRX too.) :D
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Gosling1 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 pm

thats a possibility - do you have a date for this rally ?

The bloody calendar is starting to fill up already :shock: what with PCRA meetings, track days, the bloody GP to squeeze in as well.......its getting busy.

Mick - good idea, and I will get a new tyre fitted to PC's Eddie Jnr, so we can have the dinosaur treble !!

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby bonester » Thu May 29, 2008 7:27 pm

RAGGED FRINGE RALLY

September 8th & 9th 2007
Bretti Reserve on Thunderbolts Way

http://www.mgoa.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3

:D
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby ProblemChild » Sat May 31, 2008 8:53 pm

fuck that would be a trip on junior . definatly in on da old dunner rides but . :D
dirty,mean&mighty unclean,
Im a wanted man
im slightly schizophrenic me & me & me agree
GRAVELRASH | rock on facebook or GRAVELRASH on Reverb nation
ProblemChild
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Gosling1 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:19 pm

wow been a while between drinks for this thread ;)

Thought I would bung up an interesting story about the 6fiddy.......today I took it out on 1 of its 3 or 4 annual rides, today being the local MRA Blanket Run. A group of us from the local VJMC got together for coffee/breakfast this morning before the ride....

The last time the 650 was going was about September last year for the Distinguished Gentlemans Ride. As usual, it just gets parked after each ride, then dusted off, battery gets a charge - and away we go, maybe 6/8/10 months later for the next ride.....

The old ZX12R battery that had been fitted to this bike - finally bit the dust - so a few nights ago I fitted up the new lithium battery (also from the ZX12R) which has done duty in the 12, the Gronk and Swabio's ZX6R. The 650 fired up fine and sounded good......this battery has been used on all 3 bikes without any issues whatsoever...

This morning - 650 started just fine - rode up to the garage and topped up fuel - then on the way into town, the bike carried on a bit, popping and banging through the exhaust - sounded like an electrical issue ?? It seemed to clear itself up and I finished the ride to the cafe....

Got into the cafe and was sitting there with a couple of other punters having a java - when all of a sudden old mate says 'Heh Dave your bike is on fire !!!' FMD there was smoke pouring out from behind the sidecover...........I knew what it was straight away.

The lithium battery had shat itself and a small hole in the side had appeared where smoke was being pushed out - hole maybe 2mm across ??? The smell was fucking rancid. I took the battery leads off, and pulled the battery out - it was pretty hot and smoke still belting out the small hole.....parked the battery on the footpath away from all the bikes to let itself cool down a bit :lol:

A mate lent me his 750 Ducati to rip out to Fyshwick and get another battery. AGM on special for $88, not so bad. When I got back we fitted up the new battery, a few more punters had turned up for breakfast and one of them had a multimeter - so once the new battery was in, we kicked over the bike and there it was - 15-16v on idle up to 17v when revved out to 4k !!! :shock: :shock:

Lithium batteries don't like being overcharged. Looks like at some point the regulator on the 650 has gone kaput. I finished the blanket run with no other problems, then came home and replaced that regulator with another one out of stock - charging voltage is now a lot more stable at 13.5-14.5v no matter what the revs are. So the new battery won't get boiled dry (although none of the old lead-acid batteries I have used in this bike previously did either ?? weird)......and hopefully the AGM battery should get me through a few seasons.....

So there you go. Watch those charging systems in your old bikes if you are going to use a lithium battery.........

Apart from that - the little 6fiddy ran really well with the new battery installed, it is a fun little bike to ride and I really should do the right thing and give it a decent paint job.......

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Kwakked Up » Sun May 11, 2014 9:03 am

Glad that worked out ok for you and the old girl Gos :kuda:

phark that could have been sooo much worse :shock:
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Gosling1 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:50 pm

could have been way bad if the battery had actually gone up in flames, for sure.

It won't put me off using these lithium batteries though - they are incredibly light for the power that make and are a massive improvement over the old SLA style batteries.......just have to make sure the charging system is in good nick :lol:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby JimZXR » Sun May 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Not the same I realise but I've had two battery's blow up on me in last last few years; one overheated and popped on the bike and the other literally exploded under the bonnet of my company car! Not sure how bad it would have been under a bike seat but I'd say it'd be a hospital job!
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750

Postby Gosling1 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:48 pm

sounds like the batteries in the cars were overcharging as well ?? Its not pretty............

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Previous

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion