Switch to full style
All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's
Post a reply

Re: Genesis Of A Racebike - IT LIVES !!!!!

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:09 pm

time for a short update on progress with this bike......there has been plenty in the last few days ! :shock:

Stripped it down to a bare frame on Tuesday, and started cleaning everything ready for a proper paint job. I also completed some further frame bracing on the main frame rails - some mega-gussets added :lol: its no Egli spine frame but fuck me it is close ! :lol:

Primed and painted the frame in gloss white. It looks virginal, just like the pilot :D - well actually it has come up a treat. Have done a number on the tank, with a nice white GT stripe and black pinstriping - very old-school kawasaki it is. Still have to finish the ducktail and the front guard - may not have these done before the weekend though..... :? - the front guard is a corker, picked it up today from the local wreckers for $15 :kuda: - think it was from a ZX9R ?? NFI really, we never bothered checking too hard - but it fits really nicely.

Dropped the stocker Gpz1100 motor into the frame this morning with help from PC :kuda: - and then spent the rest of the day getting everything else cleaned/fitted. Found a couple of minor issues that needed fixing - the chain had been fouling the underside of the l/h aluminium engine mount, so that needed modifying.

With the white frame, black wheels and green bodywork - it is really starting to look like a proper bike. The old hard-arse seat has gone - I used the same seat pan, but have had it upholstered now and worth every cent.

Tomorrow - last day before racing on Saturday - I just have to fit the exhaust system, the electricals, make some brackets for the bikini fairing - and lockwire everything. If the weather holds, I might even be able to get some painting finished.

Will update this thread with some pics tomorrow.........

8)

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:34 am

Gosling1 wrote:Will update this thread with some pics tomorrow......... 8)

Where is the foot tapping emoticon........were waiting ;)

Good luck on the weekend to everyone, get Mick to txt me updates..............cause you cant :P

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:48 am

Gosling1 wrote:time for a short update on progress with this bike......there has been plenty in the last few days ! :shock:
Stripped it down to a bare frame on Tuesday, and started cleaning everything ready for a proper paint job. I also completed some further frame bracing on the main frame rails - some mega-gussets added :lol: its no Egli spine frame but fuck me it is close ! :lol:
Primed and painted the frame in gloss white. It looks virginal, just like the pilot :D - well actually it has come up a treat. Have done a number on the tank, with a nice white GT stripe and black pinstriping - very old-school kawasaki it is. Still have to finish the ducktail and the front guard - may not have these done before the weekend though..... :? - the front guard is a corker, picked it up today from the local wreckers for $15 :kuda: - think it was from a ZX9R ?? NFI really, we never bothered checking too hard - but it fits really nicely.
Dropped the stocker Gpz1100 motor into the frame this morning with help from PC :kuda: - and then spent the rest of the day getting everything else cleaned/fitted. Found a couple of minor issues that needed fixing - the chain had been fouling the underside of the l/h aluminium engine mount, so that needed modifying.
With the white frame, black wheels and green bodywork - it is really starting to look like a proper bike. The old hard-arse seat has gone - I used the same seat pan, but have had it upholstered now and worth every cent.
Tomorrow - last day before racing on Saturday - I just have to fit the exhaust system, the electricals, make some brackets for the bikini fairing - and lockwire everything. If the weather holds, I might even be able to get some painting finished.
Will update this thread with some pics tomorrow.........
8)

Thank god for school holidays eh ;-)
The green wheels,virginal white frame with a very green rider on top :kuda: .....well this project has taken quiet a few years to get back the race track :-)
good luck old fella I'll be their cheering you on

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:10 am

Pictures Kharn , where are the damn pictures ????

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:57 pm

this thread is useless without pics.. :roll: :lol:

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:03 pm

new forks?

how come the stocker GPZ engine went in, what happened to the one that was in it?

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:41 pm

i think the oil leak at the creek may be the reason...

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Sounds great! can't wait to see the pic's :kuda:

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:58 pm

How much is it?

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:26 pm

dub wrote:....new forks?

how come the stocker GPZ engine went in, what happened to the one that was in it?.....

yes mate, 41mm forks, worked over by Laurie. Pinchy has it - the motor at EC developed an oil leak out of virtually nowhere first thing on Saturday morning :? - so using a stocker street motor for this meeting. Just want to circulate and finish......may have a lash for the last leg if everything holds together :lol:

StevieD wrote:How much is it?

??? not sure what you mean mate .....

Pics - will have to wait until tomorrow - just finished the last few things and am shagged, need to pack the race kit and be up at 0500 hrs :shock:

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:36 pm

PICS DAMN YOU! :kuda:

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:58 pm

still shagged after racing today.....pics on the way. :lol: fark me it was a good day for racing, just wish I had done a bit more !!

3rd overall in P5 Unlimited. Sounds good - except there was only 3 P5 unlimted bikes running :lol: - Higgsy, Roger Quinlan and my shittruck. Days racing was a total of 1 DNF, 1 3rd in class and 1 DNS.

:kuda:

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:08 pm

Good to see Roger back on track 8)

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:44 pm

robracer wrote:....Good to see Roger back on track 8)....

he was in form too mate - had a great dice with Eastoe in the 3rd leg, Eastoe was riding his P6 bike. Higgsy was pushing Nigel Taylor on the P6 FZR !! I think Dodger got back into form down at the Island Classic last weekend.....the Mori looked fast today :kuda:

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:56 am

Still no pics!!! :lol:
Post a reply