Genesis Of A Racebike - IT LIVES !!!!!

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:00 pm

:lol: well yes, but in some ways, to me, its just another bike to be built.....

I have lots of these :oops: and being my own wrecker is also handy fom time to time......if you speak to any of the Vic crew who have seen 'The 4th Dimension', they can fill in the gaps. :wink:

Best part about a track-bike is :

No charging system
No lights
No indicators
No excess shit not required
Can use anything as long as it fits and works well

More pictures by end of the month. Still a long way to go before she's up and running........ :twisted:

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby ProblemChild » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:55 pm

yes the 4th dimension is amazing, things can get lost in there never to be seen again :P :P :wink:
dirty,mean&mighty unclean,
Im a wanted man
im slightly schizophrenic me & me & me agree
GRAVELRASH | rock on facebook or GRAVELRASH on Reverb nation
ProblemChild
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Re: Genesis Of A Racebike

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:41 am

Well its been a little while between drinks....... :shock: :lol:

but there has been some progress on my track-hack. I spent about 14 hours in the shed yesterday, and managed to get a lot of work completed. Thanks to Tony (Bogan) who dropped over and provided moral support and help with a few jobs - goodonya mate ! The updates as follows:

The good engine is now fitted; Only exhaust and carbies to complete.

Front-end from the Black Pearl has been *borrowed* and fitted, pending the construction of the final parts needed for the actual front-end I intend to use;

I now have a complete rolling unit, with functional front brakes. Rear brakes will be completed today. Total-loss wiring and some small jobs will also be completed today, and I will bung up some photos before tonight.

Our local forum CanberraRIDERS, is having a track-day at Wakefield Park on Friday 2 May. This was just the incentive I needed to get the trackie up and running, at least to ensure it does actually go :oops: , before entering in some PCRA rounds from about mid-year onwards.

Stand by for the pictures - Now it is almost finished, it actually doesn't look too bad !! :lol:

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby smek » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:35 am

Sounds like it's coming along well... better book in for the trackday on the 10th then gos ;)
smek
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby robracer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Hey gos those first pics sorta remind me of another project but unfortunately its minium 18" rims for this puppy, & Im going wire wheels (aloy hub with excel rims) cause the cast alloy Z ones are way too heavy... happy days mate
Attachments
25032008013.jpg
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby brendanzxr » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:42 pm

Have you got the forks on now rob, last time i saw it was only the frame , goodluck on the project's you guy's ;)
brendanzxr

Postby robracer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:55 pm

brendanzxr wrote:Have you got the forks on now rob, last time i saw it was only the frame , goodluck on the project's you guy's ;)

As Gos would know I have a heap of limitations as to modifications compared to the unlimited class, but I am managing to work things out, Shaun at SOS suspension had done the internals for the Z750 forks (all new with no Zed parts used ) & new Ikon shocks have been found & rebuilt for the little Zed... pick up on monday hopefully.
But it sounds like Gos is way ahead.... my motor is still on the bench awaiting a complete rebuild with some go fast goodies :twisted:

Hey Gos you will love this ... having trouble finding a suitable front hub, so bought one for a Harley :shock: the disk spacing & disk size is perfect! so just have to turn up an axil for it ;)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:01 pm

Good luck with the little Zeddie Rob, I am still keeping an ear to the ground for an exhaust system for you......and using Harley parts ??? keep that under your hat mate ! ;) :lol:

Well, here are some pictures of the progress that has happened this weekend. I am a slack bastard, basically *nothing* had been touched since the wheels were completed last year (thanks to PC for the 2-pack paint job).

The photos don't really show how tight the clearances are in a lot of spots - the last photo shows the clearance between chain and frame rails, its less than 5mm. Clearance between sump and lower frame rails is about 1mm at the tightest point, and there is less than 1mm between the rear of the block and the front of the swingarm. But - the engine mounts are as tight as a fishes arsehole, so I don't expect much movement there at all. There is just enough clearance between the cam-cover and the tank to fit the plug leads ( Check picture #5 :shock: ). I had to remove the cam cover to fit the motor in the frame, but not the cams, this is an unexpected bonus...... :lol:

Still have to fit an exhaust system and the carbies next weekend, but I am fully expecting to *kick it in the guts Barry* next weekend !!! :P :P :P

Here are some piccies.......I so cannot wait to give this baby a run .....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by Gosling1 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby robracer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: she's a wee ripper gos, are you going crazy with the motor?
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby 6maniac » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:11 pm

A work of art, Gos ! :shock:
I've spent over 40 years of my life riding bikes .... the rest of it, I wasted ..
If it's got wheels or tits, it's gonna give you trouble !
HCST #2
Team Black '09 ..... R.I.P. - 2011.
Back in Black....2011.
6maniac
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z750

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:16 pm

Rob wrote:.....are you going crazy with the motor?....

Not yet.......but its on the drawing boards !! At the moment, happy to leave it stock for the 'sorting out' period....

I have just fitted the old Pearl front-end as an 'interim' measure, to get the shitter up and running and out on the track - the motor is fully stock mate :shock: not even a good set of cams as yet !! A mate of mine is lending me a set of 38mm round-slide Mikuni's to kick off proceedings, he had them fitted to a speedway outfit a few years ago, apparently they work great on a big 2-valver !! :shock: :lol: . These will do for the time being......once the side-draught manifolds are picked up, then a set of 40mm DHLA Dell'Ortos will be fitted......and people think smooth-bore carbies are good !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The front-end I will *eventually* be using still needs a couple of parts that are not complete as yet, so its not fitted at this time. It will be a *good* front end when its done !! - :D

So a lot of water to go under the bridge yet. I don't think it will be fully 'sorted' until the end of this year......which will be just in time for the 2009 Island Classic.......and the WSB support classes next year !!! :twisted: :twisted:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby dave#3 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Looking good Gos, she'll be a beauty when she's finished.
dave#3 | '03 z1000 roadie | '08 zx6r tracky | '03 KLX400R dirty
http://www.oz4x4.net/gallery2
Winner - KSRC Murphy's Law Award 2008
dave#3
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000

Postby onewheelmat » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:16 pm

looks great, cant wait to see it finished keep us updated.
all bike were created equal, its just Kawasaki were created more equal than the rest.
onewheelmat
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby Benno » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:11 pm

Nice work Gos, looks great!
Vespa!
Benno
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor