Genesis Of A Racebike - IT LIVES !!!!!

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: Genesis Of A Racebike - IT LIVES !!!!!

Postby Gosling1 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:26 pm

matchan wrote:.......Any idea when it actually closes ?......

to be honest, I have heard a number of different stories. One has the track closing at the end of this year positively definitely................all over close the gate.

But I heard a whisper at a track meeting earlier this year, that yes, Oran Park is still taking bookings for next year !! :D If that is the case, then maybe the developers are not yet ready to move in with the bulldozers and raze the place to the ground ? I always thought it was a bit odd to spend som much money on new garages, to have them all torn down within 5 years or so ??

In any case, it remains my favourite circuit, and I will try to get as much time on the GP circuit as possible between now and *whenever* it closes...............hopefully starting on 9th June this year !! :lol:

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Gosling1 » Sun May 25, 2008 7:44 pm

In late-breaking news, apparently Circuit Breakers reckon the closing date is March 2010 !!!

We'll see what happens there......anyway, I have an update on progress with the track hack.....

I started painting the tank with primer yesterday, and the ducktail as well - both of them needed doing........and also dragged an old bikini fairing out of the 4th, gave it a sand and a couple of coats of primer as well.........and seeing as it was a really nice sunny afternoon, thought I may as well bung a top-coat on.... :shock:

so this arvo, after digging around a bit, I spotted a can of Lime Green, good old el cheapo $5 'Aussie Export' enamel ! :lol: - no idea how 'green' it was, but what the hell, lets bung a few coats on the primered bits and see how it turns out..... :shock:

and here is the result.....

not too bad for the old *Summernats in a Can* eh ???

8-)
Last edited by Gosling1 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Six Addict » Sun May 25, 2008 8:43 pm

now your talking!!!! as much as i liked the primer grey... that green rocks!!!

reckon i need some for the 250 aye... black is good but green is better 8)
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati
State: New South Wales

Postby photomike666 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:22 pm

None too shabby for an arsehole can, looks the mutts nuts mate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Postby funky » Sun May 25, 2008 10:30 pm

looks shit hot gos, but geez it needs a front gaurd 8)
06 ZX10R Green
93 ZXR750 Green
funky
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby the kid » Mon May 26, 2008 6:48 pm

Paint has to go Mate . Check out the can , "reduced toxicity" ! Can't be any good for the lowrider :twisted:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha

Postby Wattie » Mon May 26, 2008 7:30 pm

we need a photo with you on it dude, how can you see where your going?? :lol:

at least you wont have to sit on the ductail to tuck in like that dude at PI :lol:
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby aardvark » Mon May 26, 2008 7:35 pm

How the hell you managed to get a paintjob like that, out of the worlds shittiest spray paint is beyond me.

Photochop I say!! ;)
aardvark

State: South Australia

Postby Wattie » Tue May 27, 2008 6:19 am

aardvark wrote:How the hell you managed to get a paintjob like that, out of the worlds shittiest spray paint is beyond me.

Photochop I say!! ;)

right on!! :lol:

i've seen Madkaws trailer, it was painted in the same stuff. it aint green and shiney :lol:
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby swabio-ACT » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:22 pm

nice work Dave!
swabio-ACT
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:47 pm

Time for an update on the old dunger.....

Finally got another track day under the belt today - the held-over day from the washout on Queens Birthday weekend....

First session out - felt pretty good, but brakes a bit suss....they came good over the course of the day with no input from me :shock: can't whinge about that....

But - she was feeling very 'overjetted' coming onto the main straight. I have fitted a *really* quick action throttle, forget your 1/5 turns, this is basically a 1/8 turn :shock: , but works really good. Anyway, giving it a gutful onto the front straight and she was just bogging down - wind the throttle back a bit, and much better response - typical symptoms of too big a main jet. I had fitted some 140's after the Wakefield Park day back in May......thinking that the jetting was too lean.....nothing like that at all, she needed some ignition system *tweaking* - and smaller mains.

So a set of 120's was fitted after the first session..........and the difference was immediate. Could pull full throttle *everywhere*, and down the chute, even though all the big-bangers (R1's ZX10R's etc) could get the jump out of the corner.....they weren't dissapearing into the distance too quickly.... :lol: and more often than not, around the back of the course I got back up there clackers again.......only to be dissed onto the straight ..... :x

Second session was heaps good. I also thought the gearing would need some work, but it worked fine. So that was left alone...

Third session - set up the camcorder in a bumbag, but must have knocked the 'off' button, as no footage recorded. Very dissapointing, especially as one of the CanberraRIDERS guys had set himself up to pull a great wheelie right next to me as we came out of the last corner onto the straight ! It would have looked *sensational* on video......but not to be....

Happy again with 4th session. Bike running really well, has a tendency to wobble a bit down the chute at speed :shock: - the new front end will fix this.

4th session - set up the video again (carefully) - but to no avail. Worked *great* when the bike was turned off, or just idling, but as soon as the revs rose.......the picture went all white. We figured that, because the bike runs total-loss, when the ignition is working hard, there is not enough 'oomph' in the battery to power the camera (it runs straight of the bikes 12v supply). So a seperate 12v supply will need to be set up to capture any future action.

All things considered, I am really happy with how its progressing so far. Have a long way to go before she is competitive in Period 5 (Forgotten Era), but now the development is in full swing. Once she has some good brakes (AP Lockheed 2-spotters fitted to the good front end), and those 41mm forks......well I expect the handling to move up a couple of notches, and the times to drop.....

Birdman got a good shot of the beastie today, will attach here shortly.

In 2 weeks time, she will get some time at Broadford and Winton. Eastern Creek for the December KSRC track day.....and maybe Phillip Island early next year ??? :shock: :shock: Island Classic......maybe if its logbooked.....

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby the kid » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:29 am

Good work Gos . A photo of the jetting change would have been good . Nothing like a few spanners thrown around the pits :D Go the "Lowrider" :twisted:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby frog » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:02 pm

Cool as Goz, love your work ;)
Jedi of the darKside
Just because you can ride, doesnt mean you should. My reason on this earth is an example to others what NOT to do.
frog
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Postby MadKaw » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Nice one Gos... You might want to look at some foam for that seat though.. :-)
and for the tank. ;)

After my medical induced hiatus, I'm looking at getting to the track as much as possible once all is 100%... so post up when your going out..
I'm still hoping to do a track day at P.I. this year....
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:15 pm

the kid wrote:..... A photo of the jetting change would have been good . Nothing like a few spanners thrown around the pits :D ......

you would love my special main-jet tool.............its a 5c piece !! :lol: :lol: the smoothbores have got nice big 17mm drain plugs on each bowl, so a main jet change only takes a couple of minutes for each main.......when all the cases are *red-hot* it gets your fingers working well.... ;)

MadKaw wrote:....You might want to look at some foam for that seat though.....

:lol: old mate chief scrutineer was scratching his head..... :shock: .....I think a proper covered seat is inevitable.....

Will bung up any further ride days - apart form the double-header on the weekend of the 16/17 August, PC and myself want to do 1 or 2 more at Wakefield (seeing we paid for a Wakefield 'licence' :roll: earlier this year, should get some value for it...), and of course there is the December track-day. I am hoping by then it will be really close to fully sorted !!

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion