Genesis Of A Racebike - IT LIVES !!!!!

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: Genesis Of A Racebike - IT LIVES !!!!!

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:09 pm

time for a short update on progress with this bike......there has been plenty in the last few days ! :shock:

Stripped it down to a bare frame on Tuesday, and started cleaning everything ready for a proper paint job. I also completed some further frame bracing on the main frame rails - some mega-gussets added :lol: its no Egli spine frame but fuck me it is close ! :lol:

Primed and painted the frame in gloss white. It looks virginal, just like the pilot :D - well actually it has come up a treat. Have done a number on the tank, with a nice white GT stripe and black pinstriping - very old-school kawasaki it is. Still have to finish the ducktail and the front guard - may not have these done before the weekend though..... :? - the front guard is a corker, picked it up today from the local wreckers for $15 :kuda: - think it was from a ZX9R ?? NFI really, we never bothered checking too hard - but it fits really nicely.

Dropped the stocker Gpz1100 motor into the frame this morning with help from PC :kuda: - and then spent the rest of the day getting everything else cleaned/fitted. Found a couple of minor issues that needed fixing - the chain had been fouling the underside of the l/h aluminium engine mount, so that needed modifying.

With the white frame, black wheels and green bodywork - it is really starting to look like a proper bike. The old hard-arse seat has gone - I used the same seat pan, but have had it upholstered now and worth every cent.

Tomorrow - last day before racing on Saturday - I just have to fit the exhaust system, the electricals, make some brackets for the bikini fairing - and lockwire everything. If the weather holds, I might even be able to get some painting finished.

Will update this thread with some pics tomorrow.........

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Phil » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:34 am

Gosling1 wrote:Will update this thread with some pics tomorrow......... 8)

Where is the foot tapping emoticon........were waiting ;)

Good luck on the weekend to everyone, get Mick to txt me updates..............cause you cant :P
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Mstevo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:48 am

Gosling1 wrote:time for a short update on progress with this bike......there has been plenty in the last few days ! :shock:
Stripped it down to a bare frame on Tuesday, and started cleaning everything ready for a proper paint job. I also completed some further frame bracing on the main frame rails - some mega-gussets added :lol: its no Egli spine frame but fuck me it is close ! :lol:
Primed and painted the frame in gloss white. It looks virginal, just like the pilot :D - well actually it has come up a treat. Have done a number on the tank, with a nice white GT stripe and black pinstriping - very old-school kawasaki it is. Still have to finish the ducktail and the front guard - may not have these done before the weekend though..... :? - the front guard is a corker, picked it up today from the local wreckers for $15 :kuda: - think it was from a ZX9R ?? NFI really, we never bothered checking too hard - but it fits really nicely.
Dropped the stocker Gpz1100 motor into the frame this morning with help from PC :kuda: - and then spent the rest of the day getting everything else cleaned/fitted. Found a couple of minor issues that needed fixing - the chain had been fouling the underside of the l/h aluminium engine mount, so that needed modifying.
With the white frame, black wheels and green bodywork - it is really starting to look like a proper bike. The old hard-arse seat has gone - I used the same seat pan, but have had it upholstered now and worth every cent.
Tomorrow - last day before racing on Saturday - I just have to fit the exhaust system, the electricals, make some brackets for the bikini fairing - and lockwire everything. If the weather holds, I might even be able to get some painting finished.
Will update this thread with some pics tomorrow.........
8)

Thank god for school holidays eh ;-)
The green wheels,virginal white frame with a very green rider on top :kuda: .....well this project has taken quiet a few years to get back the race track :-)
good luck old fella I'll be their cheering you on
Yamasaki/Kawaha owner... after my bike was raped overnight in the garage at PI by those big green monsters ;-)
Mstevo
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Yamaha

Postby the kid » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:10 am

Pictures Kharn , where are the damn pictures ????
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Six Addict » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:57 pm

this thread is useless without pics.. :roll: :lol:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati
State: New South Wales

Postby dub » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:03 pm

new forks?

how come the stocker GPZ engine went in, what happened to the one that was in it?
2004 Z1000
1982 GPz750
dub
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z1000

Postby Six Addict » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:41 pm

i think the oil leak at the creek may be the reason...
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Postby MAXUMIS » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Sounds great! can't wait to see the pic's :kuda:
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R

Postby StevieD » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:58 pm

How much is it?
StevieD
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:26 pm

dub wrote:....new forks?

how come the stocker GPZ engine went in, what happened to the one that was in it?.....

yes mate, 41mm forks, worked over by Laurie. Pinchy has it - the motor at EC developed an oil leak out of virtually nowhere first thing on Saturday morning :? - so using a stocker street motor for this meeting. Just want to circulate and finish......may have a lash for the last leg if everything holds together :lol:

StevieD wrote:How much is it?

??? not sure what you mean mate .....

Pics - will have to wait until tomorrow - just finished the last few things and am shagged, need to pack the race kit and be up at 0500 hrs :shock:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Benno » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:36 pm

PICS DAMN YOU! :kuda:
Vespa!
Benno
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter
State: Victoria

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:58 pm

still shagged after racing today.....pics on the way. :lol: fark me it was a good day for racing, just wish I had done a bit more !!

3rd overall in P5 Unlimited. Sounds good - except there was only 3 P5 unlimted bikes running :lol: - Higgsy, Roger Quinlan and my shittruck. Days racing was a total of 1 DNF, 1 3rd in class and 1 DNS.

:kuda:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby robracer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:08 pm

Good to see Roger back on track 8)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:44 pm

robracer wrote:....Good to see Roger back on track 8)....

he was in form too mate - had a great dice with Eastoe in the 3rd leg, Eastoe was riding his P6 bike. Higgsy was pushing Nigel Taylor on the P6 FZR !! I think Dodger got back into form down at the Island Classic last weekend.....the Mori looked fast today :kuda:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Six Addict » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:56 am

Still no pics!!! :lol:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion