Fuel tank reserve

All GPx and GPz Models

Fuel tank reserve

Postby GPX Denis » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Anyone know if there is a fuel reserve on the 1988 Kawasaki GPX 750r the fuel light comes on when there's about 10 litres left and rhe fuel gauge shows empty haven't pushed the usage much beond that afraid of fuel blockage with crap in carby's etc cheers Denis
GPX Denis

Bike: GPx750
State: Victoria

Re: Fuel tank reserve

Postby pkay » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Should be a fuel tap on the left hand side
PK
"Too many bikes is never enough"
ZXR750H1,GPX750R,GPz600R,750,900R,1000RX,KR250,Z1a,Mach3,Z1300 and..
pkay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Queensland

Postby Mister_T » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:32 pm

There is no reserve, no selection lever, just a warning light for low fuel. The light is supposed to come on when there is 4 litres left. You do get a button for priming which just pushes on the vacuum diaphragm.
After 30 years the gauge sender and the light switch might be in the same condition as I have pictured in my GPX resurrection thread.
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby GPX Denis » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:46 am

Thankyou i was thinking the same because of the vacuum carby set up have you redirected your carby bteather tube straight down sort of so it can act as an over flow for the carby....read this somewhere cheers Denis
GPX Denis

Postby Mister_T » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:57 am

GPX Denis wrote:have you redirected your carby bteather tube straight down sort of so it can act as an over flow for the carby....read this somewhere

Yes. The two vent/overflow hoses have a natural bend over the back of the engine from what I remember.
If the carbys flood due to a combination of bad fuel tap and bad float needles, you can still get petrol down one or more cylinders which will get past the piston rings and into the sump and even then you might not get petrol come out of the vent/overflow hoses. I found this out the hard way.

Until you get the fuel system sorted it may be best to keep the engine oil level below the upper mark by the window. This way it is easier to see if the oil level has risen due to petrol contamination. You can see in the early pics of the Resurrection GPX I have done this. One day I did find that the level had risen. The other clue was the engine not turning over on the starter due to hydraulic lock in at least one cylinder.
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion