GPX750R resurrection

All GPx and GPz Models

Re: GPX750R resurrection

Postby Mister_T » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:16 pm

I could not buy circlip pliers small enough at Repco or Bunnings so I had to modify an old one by using the Dremel with a stone on the the tips and it worked fine.
gpx750r_clutch_master_after.jpg
Much better. Can't get rid of the corrosion pits without more work. Maybe next time.
gpx750r_clutch_master_after.jpg (96.83 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPx750
State: Victoria

Chain issue resolved

Postby Mister_T » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:47 am

I am happy to announce that the chain issue has been rapidly resolved by the UK-based seller, Bike Torque Racing, who trade on eBay as biketorqueracing . They also trade through their website at http://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/ .
I notified biketorqueracing of my concerns via eBay messaging and quickly heard back from Geoff Stubbs there. I sent over other pics of the chain I had taken and Geoff quickly organised another chain to be sent out to me at no charge and covered the freight as well.
It is nice to deal with a business that encourages repeat custom.
If you do strike a problem, it probably helps if you don't go in guns blazing. A bit of politeness and some good pics to help explain the situation are always helpful. The person on the other end could easily be having as bad a day as yours.
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kwakked Up » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Gotta love a good news story :kuda:
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Smitty » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:42 am

Mister_T wrote:It could have been a nice day for a ride here in Melbourne today, but I chose to do the clutch hydraulics instead due to a minor drip from the clutch master when in use.
I know clutch hydraulics tend not to get much attention, but even this surprised me.

Geez, where does all the sludge come from?

.. 30 year old brake fluid!
when I got mine in the mid 90s (about 10 years after they came out) my clutch master fluid
was black like that. Took some cleaning out and then also had to flush new fluid thru to finish the job
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Mister_T » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Not much happening lately, been riding more than fixing which is always a good ratio.

Changed the oil and filter again the other week. Mmmm, fresh clean oil.

Changed the coolant on the weekend. More rust came out than I would have liked. I tested the old coolant with some test strips I had lying around and it tested good. The test strips were somewhat out of date but I sanity checked one of the strips from the batch with some pure water and got the results I expected. New test strips and kinda pricey for what they are.
By the book, the coolant should be changed every 2 years. That means by now the coolant should have been changed about 14 times. I doubt that has happened.

At least the surge tank and the filler and bleeder are easy to get to, sited up in the right fairing so there is not much excuse not to. The cooling system only holds about 2 litres so it is not an expensive task, either.
gpx750r_coolant_bottle_and_filler1.jpg
gpx750r_coolant_bottle_and_filler1.jpg (61.12 KiB) Viewed 9430 times

I wish the surge tank was easier to clean out. You would think a product like CLR would get the rust out easily but I guess there is too much other stuff inhibiting it. No pics of the process. Cooling systems are wet and messy and not conducive to handling electronic gear along the way.

The temp gauge reads lower than I would expect. Running temp is about 1/3rd up the gauge. The fan cuts in before 1/2 way up.
I'll have to see if there is a volt reg in the gauge cluster for the temp and fuel gauges.
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby javaman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:59 am

Where would the 'rust' came from? Aluminium don't rust do they?

I need to do/improve the cooling on my GPZ900R. 15 min in any traffic and it goes to the red zone. Have drained, change cap, etc. Which is funny as my aircooled 750 can sit in traffic all day no worries :?
alien.gif andi - Red GPZ900R, GPZ750R1, KLR650 Tengai, KLR250
"my dad's motorbike is cool it is all ways clean.oheter pepole' s motorbikes
are't like my dad's one it's because their is one not always clean."
-ariel circa 2007
http://GPZninja.blogspot.com/
javaman
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPz900

Postby Mister_T » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:04 pm

javaman wrote:Where would the 'rust' came from? Aluminium don't rust do they?

Ally does not rust but it does corrode.
There is still quite some ferrous material in the GPX cooling system. The GPX uses "wet-sleeve" cylinder liners (with a "closed deck" cylinder block) which are directly cooled by the liquid. The in and out water manifolds on the cylinder block are steel. The waterpump impeller and some thermostat parts may be steel but plated to reduce chemical activity. There are steel bits in the pressure cap. The coolant pipe between the lower rad hose and the waterpump inlet is steel.
gpx750r_cooling_system.gif
gpx750r_cooling_system.gif (41.11 KiB) Viewed 9423 times

I guess the GPz900 would be mostly similar.
The corrosion inhibitors in coolant not only restrict the unwanted interaction between the differing metals in the cooling system, they are also supposed to stop the ethylene/propylene glycol from attacking stuff as well.

javaman wrote:I need to do/improve the cooling on my GPZ900R. 15 min in any traffic and it goes to the red zone. Have drained, change cap, etc. Which is funny as my aircooled 750 can sit in traffic all day no worries :?

Does the fan actually come on? If the fan is ok, the thermostat might not be opening enough or is stuck in one spot.
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby javaman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Interesting. When I drained the coolant (twice now) I did not notice rust/brown colour. I still want to 'descale' the system though.

Yes the fan is comes on and also earlier (I did the 'disconnect oil temp sensor' mod) by about 10deg.

But albeit the fan on, temperature will climb to the red in city traffic. I have actually stopped 2 times to avoid overheating/warping.

I have read various mods e.g. manual fan switch which is easy to do. But no real concensus whether it fixes the problem it seems.

I do notice that the coolant pipes, hoses, etc are so close to the exhaust manifold in the order of 2-3mm! :shock: but there is no way to move them further. They are just so tight. It could be that the coolant is boiled when stopping in traffic.

There is absolutely no issues when the bike is moving. Always stay in the middle or 3/4 at worst.
alien.gif andi - Red GPZ900R, GPZ750R1, KLR650 Tengai, KLR250
"my dad's motorbike is cool it is all ways clean.oheter pepole' s motorbikes
are't like my dad's one it's because their is one not always clean."
-ariel circa 2007
http://GPZninja.blogspot.com/
javaman
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPz900

Postby GPX Denis » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Does anyone know if there is a fuel reserve on the GPX 750r fuel light comes on with 10 litres still in the tank haven't tried to run the tank dry or anything to test itmay cause blockages in carburetors etc cheees Denis
GPX Denis

Postby Mister_T » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:01 pm

GPX Denis wrote:Does anyone know if there is a fuel reserve on the GPX 750r fuel light comes on with 10 litres still in the tank

Mine does not work but the owners manual says the light comes on when there is 4 litres left.
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

New rubber, old rubber

Postby Mister_T » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:46 pm

I fitted some nice new OEM grips to replace the skinny Ariete grips the bike came with. The factory grips are thicker and softer and feel better, plus they give the bike a more original look.
gpz750r_new_grips.JPG
gpz750r_new_grips.JPG (173.01 KiB) Viewed 8627 times

I got mildly curious about how old the tyres are. They are nothing flash and don't have any visible cracking or crazing. The only time I've had a slide is in some loose gravel on an apex on the Mt Dandenong Tourist Road.

Going by the 3-number DOT code, the front tyre appears to have been made in the 37th week of 1998. It won't be too long before the front tyre qualifies for its own historic rego.
gpx750r_tyre_front_DOT_code.jpg
gpx750r_tyre_front_DOT_code.jpg (82.73 KiB) Viewed 8627 times

The rear tyre's code has me perplexed. The 4-number codes were supposed to have come after the year 2000, 3-number codes were apparently pre-2000, so what does this code on the rear tyre mean? Am I reading it wrong?
gpx750r_tyre_rear_DOT_code.jpg
gpx750r_tyre_rear_DOT_code.jpg (96.03 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby The_Fixer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:02 am

Tyres have a use life of 5 years, no matter how they look. I think this is also a roadworthy rule too, but not sure about different states rules.

Tyres may also be prone to catastrophic failure past this time frame, something not very desirable particularly a front one on a bike.

My bike (GPZ 750) has been sitting for over 5 years and the tyres still look okay, but I will be replacing them.
The_Fixer

Bike: GPz750
State: New South Wales

Postby Mister_T » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Ever quaked in apprehension when a concours judge looked at your GPX luggage hooks and noticed one (or heaven forbid, more) of the plastic end caps missing, then muttered an obcenity then scribbled on his clipboard? End your resulting wailing and knashing of teeth with some cheap vacuum blockoffs you can get at places like Bursons or Repco or Supercheap.
Sure, you might get the genuine parts overseas for a few bucks each plus about 59 fucking bucks for fucking "postage and handling", but these little beauties will see you through unless that damn concours judge is carrying a digital vernier gauge because these vacuum blockoffs are just little bit shorter.
gpx750r_vacuum_cap.jpg
Cheap and cheerful
gpx750r_vacuum_cap.jpg (67.39 KiB) Viewed 8478 times
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Mister_T » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:43 am

The_Fixer wrote:Tyres may also be prone to catastrophic failure past this time frame,

Suits my riding style then.

Not much tread left in the middle of this Bridgie BT17F but still plenty left to exploit on the sides.
gpx750r_a_bit_more_to_go.jpg
Still deciding what to replace it with
gpx750r_a_bit_more_to_go.jpg (60.38 KiB) Viewed 8463 times
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

The Heat Is On

Postby Mister_T » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:58 pm

What has this toothbrush done to deserve this? It is worn out and about to become a customised cleaning brush for the bike and parts thereof.
gpx750r_toothbrush_modding1.jpg
gpx750r_toothbrush_modding1.jpg (71.05 KiB) Viewed 8442 times

Toothbushes are made of thermoplastic which means they get soft with heat. Use a heat source to make the plastic pliable and bend it to whatever angle you need to get to that hard to reach dirty spot clean again. Clean a chain, clean a caliper, whatever.
Rotate the toothbrush while heating for even softening. If you get smoke you are not turning it fast enough or have the lighter too close.

gpx750r_toothbrush_modding2.jpg
Ready for duty.
The camera preferred to focus on the bike and its exotic anti-dive technology which is understandable.
gpx750r_toothbrush_modding2.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 8442 times
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

PreviousNext

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion