Centre stand bolt in parallel universe?

All GPx and GPz Models

Centre stand bolt in parallel universe?

Postby Wim » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Hello everyone,

very new here, as I only just started work on an '88 GPZ900r I bought a few months ago.
Thought I'd kick it off with a nice and easy job yesterday, replacing the completely rotten rusted centre stand with a nice and shiny new one.

The fact of trying to do that in a not very well lit garage after dark may have had something to do with it, but am I just plain stupid and/or blind or is the left side bolt holding that centre stand in a fr...ng parallel universe of some sorts? Think i can feel it, think I caught a glimpse of it, but never even managed to get a spanner on there, let alone figure out how it will ever come out should I manage to loosen it sometime in 2017...

I'll have another look at it in daylight later on today, but if someone has a pointer here to explain how stupid I was: very welcome!

Thanks in advance, and hope to be coming back here as work proceeds on the new addition to the garage...
Wim

Bike: GPz900
State: Overseas

Re: Centre stand bolt in parallel universe?

Postby pkay » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:02 pm

It's a total mongrel but you can get at it with a spanner - you need to go from the opposite side of the bike and reach up from the back. I redid the bolts on my centre stand and took me ages to work out the right angle to get in there. Also make sure the holes are clean cause they get crap all round them which makes getting the bolt in harder. I found that I did one side attached the spring and manouvered it in then did the other side. Might find it easier if you stick it on a paddock stand so you can get underneath
PK
"Too many bikes is never enough"
ZXR750H1,GPX750R,GPz600R,750,900R,1000RX,KR250,Z1a,Mach3,Z1300 and..
pkay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Queensland

Postby Wim » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:19 pm

Hey thanks pkay!

I had it figured out in the mean time, and just about the way you explained. New centre stand is on, making it quite a lot easier to do the rest of the work.

Next up on the to do list: semi-seized front brake calipers (not all that strange considering that what came out of the brake lines looked more like rusted old mud than actual brake fluid...). The man I bought it from said it had been standing still for "a year or so". I'm starting to think that "or so" may be quite a random and very long timespan :-)

But it will run! * determined look *

thanks for the reply!
w
Wim

Bike: GPz900
State: Overseas

Postby pkay » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:47 pm

No probs have fun
PK
"Too many bikes is never enough"
ZXR750H1,GPX750R,GPz600R,750,900R,1000RX,KR250,Z1a,Mach3,Z1300 and..
pkay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Queensland

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion