gpz750 hi flow fuel tap

All GPx and GPz Models

gpz750 hi flow fuel tap

Postby thegovenor » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:08 pm

hi relativly new on here , this is my question /problem, i am building a gpz 750 streetfighter got 750 suzuki flatslides on it but standard fuel tap hits top of carb so tank wont sit correctly. has anyone got any ideas or got a solution i dont want the standard tap , am fiiting an on/off man tap .standard tap leaked &flooded engine twice so dont want same again,may go 810 in the future hence the high flow requirement.bike will be re painted so if it req welding to move tap position no problem.
any help would be appreciated, have got ballistic drag guy onto it as well.
thanks , paul
thegovenor

Bike: GPz750
State: Victoria

Re: gpz750 hi flow fuel tap

Postby JimZXR » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Might be worth putting this query up on the Aussie Streetfighters forum too as someone on there may have already come up against this if you get no joy on here.
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750
State: New South Wales

Postby pkay » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:42 pm

I had the same problem with my GPz and the repair kits don't seem to work - so I have bought a new tap assembly from the USA - $130 delivered.....
OUCH! Be interested if you find a manual tap solution
PK
"Too many bikes is never enough"
ZXR750H1,GPX750R,GPz600R,750,900R,1000RX,KR250,Z1a,Mach3,Z1300 and..
pkay
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Queensland

Postby thegovenor » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:52 pm

hi thanks for the replies and advice, ive not seen an update on the aussie streetfighters so i have not got onto them as i thought they were not around anymore.
might try a tap from an earlier z650 or whatever might fit.
cheers.
thegovenor

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:34 pm

you don't need a hi-flo tap like a Pingel for 750 flat-slide carbs. The fuel tap on a Gixxer 750 is not hi-flo, and your GPz 750 motor won't be sucking as much fuel as a 4-valve gixxer motor - whether you have 750 or 810 motor.

What you will need to do is have a fitting made up by a machine shop, which replicates the stock fuel tap shape where it bolts into the tank. It will need to have the oval o-ring groove machined into it as well. The fitting just needs to have a fuel outlet barb fitted horizontally at the rear - the whole fitting could be made with a maximum thickness of 20mm. If the machinist is cluey enough, he could probably machine in the same fitting at the top of the new fuel 'outlet' , the same small recess which the OEM fuel filter fits into, in the OEM fuel tap.

If he can do this, you won't need to put an in-line filter in the fuel line to the carbs. There are plenty of On/Off taps which could be fitted downstream of the new fuel 'outlet' - I would fit this tap as close to the outlet fuel line barb as possible.

Take your old tap into any 1/2 decent machine shop and show them what you need - may need to take the tank with you. You will also need to know the clearance from the tank - fitted to the bike - to the top of the flat-slide carbs.

Good luck :kuda:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby thegovenor » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:23 am

thanks for that very useful advice i had not thought of that solution,i ran the stock tap with those carbs on my 810 z650 and it worked finebut i did not have the clearence issue. i will see if i can get someone to do that if i cant get one sorted from ballistic drag racing.
i am in gippsland past pakkenham if anyone knows of a good place to go who could do that conversion.
thanks again.
thegovenor

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion