fairing fitment to 1984 GPZ750

All GPx and GPz Models

fairing fitment to 1984 GPZ750

Postby leep » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi All

Ive got a 1984 GPZ750 with the the upper fairing, Ive just purchased the two side panels and belly pan from a 1985 model .....so now the fitment begins.

Would anyone have info on how the belly pan mounts to the bike? its seems brackets pick up from the front engine/frame mount to be belly pan and perhaps brackets from the lower frame to the belly pan sides..

As I didn't get any mounting brackets with the belly pan Ill need to make them so any help on how they look originally and pick up points would be much appreciated.

cheers
leep
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: GPz750
State: Western Australia

Re: fairing fitment to 1984 GPZ750

Postby h.b.bear » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:57 am

if no one comes forward give me to tomorrow arvo and I will get some picks for you but from memory the top of belly pan has 3 bolts each side that bolts to middle ferrin and the bottom of belly pan has a bolt each side that bolts onto a bracket that is built onto your frame, these bolts are towards the rear of pan.
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby leep » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:11 am

Cheers Bear

yeah the belly pan has three holes on each side to secure belly pan to the middle fairings that then slip into the top fairing however only the belly pan is bolted to the bike. The belly pan has the brackets inside just below those three screw holes for the middle fairings and from what i can see must pick up off the front engine to frame mount. I couldn't see any pick ups on my frame for the rear belly pan mounts on each side so think ill have to fab something there. any pics would be great if you get time tomorrow and nothing else comes forward in the meantime.

thanks in advance for your help .
leep
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Here is the link to the frame-fittings page on CMSNL...

http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1985-a3-zx750_model12882/partslist/E4.html#results

I can't see any brackets on the frame in this pic.....here is the pic of the fairing lowers from the same site - I can see a couple of small brackets right at the top/front of the belly pan which look like they would bolt onto the front engine mounts ? The rear lower holes in the fairing seem to just have screws to bolt into.....something ?

http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1985-a3-zx750_model12882/partslist/H7.html#results

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby h.b.bear » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Hope these are understandable for you

3.jpg
this bracket is located about where the middle ferrin joins the belly pan, it is a standard fixture to the main frame
3.jpg (6.42 KiB) Viewed 8090 times

1.jpg
you can see the little bracket that bolts from the ferrin to the frame bracket, this bracket actually connected to one of the bolts that connects the belly pan and middle ferrin
1.jpg (6.82 KiB) Viewed 8090 times

GetAttachment.jpg
that little bracket
GetAttachment.jpg (6.82 KiB) Viewed 8090 times

GetAttachment.jpg54.jpg
here is picture of the bottom fran bracket which belly pan bolts straight to
GetAttachment.jpg54.jpg (7.17 KiB) Viewed 8090 times
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby leep » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Cheers Bear and Gos

Bear, so from what I can see in the pics your frame has 4 "U" type brackets welded to your frame,two on the vertical frame tubes where the belly pan joins the middle fairings and then two lower welded to the frame for the rear belly ban mounts. does this sound about right? as mines an '84 doesn't have them so I need to fab something up. Would it be possible for you to let me know how long these brackets are (from edge of frame tube to fairing mount) if you don't mind? No stress if not, its just so i can bend something up and then try and secure with a clamp of some sort, I don't really want to weld the frame if possible. my belly pan has the same mount arrangement as yours does.

thanks again Gents!
leep
Warming up
Warming up

Postby h.b.bear » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:55 pm

OK no problems !

The top bracket is about 40mm long and width is a tad less the diameter of your frame , length doesn't need to be spot on as you can make your little bracket to suit, the end of the bracket has a nut on the inside so all you need is a bolt.

the bottom bracket is about 30mm long about the same width wise, the thickness again is again a tad smaller than your frame.

I just noticed whilst in the shed measuring where the pan and mid ferrin join there is actually a flat plate with the bracket welded to it, I will look and see if I can find one to show you
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby leep » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks again, very much appreciate your help mate

cheers
leep
Warming up
Warming up

Postby h.b.bear » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:13 pm

cant find one of those brackets but I will rip one of tomorrow and take a photo, wont be hard to make at all just a bit of flatbar with a few holes drill and a little bracket welded to it.
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby leep » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:12 am

Cheers Bear
leep
Warming up
Warming up