GPz900r (A8) 18" Rear Tyre Review

All GPx and GPz Models

GPz900r (A8) 18" Rear Tyre Review

Postby lotii10396 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:13 am

After my recent noob mishap I had to either replace the rear 18" rim/tyre or replace with a newer 17" rim. In the end I kept the bike standard with one of the main reasons being my tyre dealer suggested this Continental 150/65 tyre which I hadn't heard anything about:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... -tires.htm
http://www.conti-online.com/www/motorcy ... cr_de.html

It's road legal in Australia (I specifically asked) & was $295. The old tyre sat on top of the road, this one grips the surface. When accelerating out of a corner it feels like there is extra weight over the rear tyre holding it down and stable - if that makes sense. To be fair the previous tyre was 3 yrs old (OK'ed at service) , a different width+profile, and as I haven't done the maths so there may be a diameter change=geometry change which is also affecting the handling, however the bike still feels perfectly stable at all speeds. I also doubt whether milage is going to be one of this tyres strong points. But for noobs like me (confidence) or perhaps good riders (grip) it seems like a decent 18" tyre option for these old girl's.

The dealer (and an experienced mate) suggested I might want to look at also replacing the front tyre now (it's a Metzler < yr old) to balance up the grip, however at the moment I can't find anything wrong with the way the bike feels or handles, but I'm open to any suggestions.
lotii10396
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: GPz900
State: South Australia

Re: GPz900r (A8) 18" Rear Tyre Review

Postby z900/zx9 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Mate if the front tyre is old or your not sure how old it is (CHECK DATE OF MANUFACTURE ON THE SIDE OF TYRE) REPLACE IT.
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby lotii10396 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:35 am

As mentioned the front is a Metzler Lasertec less than 12 months old with only a few hundred kays on it. Yes it would have been a good idea to replace the older hard rear, but I know from personal experience (rear low side) that the front tyre grip is fine, as it was still holding even when I was turning & tipping the bike as far as I (as a noob) thought possible. It's still soft (can indent fingernail, surface picks up leaves & dirt) so IMHO it's still OK. When researching replacement parts & tyres I couldn't find anyone else who had actually used this Conti tyre, even when speaking with some long-term GPz owners who have gone down the 17" path mainly because of limited tyre choice. So I'm more mentioning the tyre as an option for the GPz, and also just wondering if anyone has used this tyre (or another tyre like it) and might have suggestions for a matching front. I understand the logic, but there isn't a matching Conti front size nor am I experienced enough to tell if these tyres are considered a poor match. But the bike is more stable at all speeds, handles much better at low speeds, and (at my riding speeds anyway) it corners much, much better. So until I have a tyre recommendation at this time I can't see any reason to just replace the front?
lotii10396
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Eastoe » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:30 am

There's nothing wrong with a Metzeler Lasertec. Sounds like you know the history of it so keep using it.
Tyres don't need to be matched as the same brand. How wide is your rear rim to use a 150 tyre?
I've been thinking of a wheel upgrade for my GPZ750 to get the better brakes. Is your front a 16?
Eastoe
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPz750
State: New South Wales

Postby lotii10396 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:14 pm

One of the advantages of the +A7 (1991) is rim sizes, went from 16" to 17" front and a wider 18" rear rim (to fit 150 vs 130) - does 4.5" sound right for the width? Could be wrong but I have that number in my mind for some reason.... Also better brakes all round with 2x 4pot at front 1x 2pot at back. My research showed many convert the rear using 17" zzr600 rims (pretty easy), but I didn't find much about front end upgrades, but then again wasn't really looking. I did speak to a wrecker in Sydney who had done the front modification though, so it can be done. Cheers.
lotii10396
Warming up
Warming up

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion