GPZ900?

All GPx and GPz Models

re: GPZ900?

Postby Mojo67 » Tue May 31, 2005 8:47 pm

You've lost that loving feeling...
Cheers
Dave (Mojo67)
FZR600 >> ZX6R >> ZX9R >> ZX9R Brisbane
Paper needs nerf, scissors ok. Signed, rock.
Mojo67
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby Felix » Tue May 31, 2005 9:31 pm

There was a GPZ900 in Stanthorpe that went for around $1750 a couple of months ago...I regret very much not having enquired about it. Looked really good. Toyed with buying Tapes but the transport up kinda killed it for me. I could still go one, I reckon.
- Team Furball -

Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Suzuki
State: Overseas

Postby plane » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:32 pm

You'll have to be quick.....

But here you go bloke!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32625&item=4553122814&rd=1

Cheers,
Pete
Live Fast, Die Sideways
plane
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX

Postby BikerboyBernie » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:38 am

I've still got my GPZ900R (see pic), even after my recent purchase of a ZZR1200, basically because I still love her.

You will find the 900 in just about every top 10 Best Bikes (all categories and Kawasaki) lists ... it was considered that good! Most Kawasaki lists over the years in the press have given the 900 the no. 1 ticket.

Yes, the bike was ridden in Top Gun and was 1984 Two Wheels Bike of the Year in the same year. It brought in a new era of sportbike that we see today. 808cc, liquid-cooled, 16v, dohc, 4-stroke in-line four, 115 bhp with top speed circa 250kph. Frame used as a stress member, etc.

Arguably, it is the largest mass-produced bike on the planet, such was the demand, and was produced from 1983/84 and the Japs were still producing them up until a couple of years ago. Hence, why you still see plenty of them on Oz roads (and therefore good for parts supply).

At the time of its launch, it was the fastest weapon there was and handled and weighed like a sports 750 at the time. It was used by professional racers on domestic and overseas (eg. Isle of Man) tracks and was unbeatable for at least a couple of years until the other manufacturers caught up with their own offerings to combat lost market share.

I am now considering selling my 900R, after holding on to it for the past year, knowing I would miss it if I get rid of it.

If you're still interested in buying mine, let me know and I'll answer whatever queries you may have. As you see, the thing looks in top shape, still has the original 4 in 2 pipes, great colours, and I have various extras to go with it (including a massive folder on all press articles, etc on the GPZ900).

Don't know what I'd sell it for yet, but the $ nos. you've talked about ... we''ll we're probably on the same page. I know you're in Brissie and I'm in Melbourne but I'm sure we could manage something if you're that keen, as I'm originally from there.

Let me know

Bikerboy
Attachments
100_0310.JPG
My GPZ900R
100_0310.JPG (107.68 KiB) Viewed 5439 times
Bike History: GPZ250; GPZ900R (current), ZZR1200 (current)
BikerboyBernie

Postby Felix » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:00 am

Droooooooooool..........

That's a nice bike...me like...I feel all feint.
- Team Furball -

Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Overseas

Postby Jonno » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:07 pm

Bikerboy

that is one fine example, very nice. (*looks around for a spare few grand*)
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby zx'er » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:22 pm

Nice 900. Always liked the blue and silver. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in the....umm well yeah you know what I mean. Nice looking lady mate. I'd miss her too if She were mine.
4 wheels is 2 wheels too many
zx'er
Warming up
Warming up

Postby RG » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:46 pm

Holy shit! The spanking brand new look! :shock: :shock: :shock:
"...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena." - Theodore Roosevelt
RG
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning
State: Western Australia

Postby Shifty » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:07 pm

There is one for sale that I know of that appears to be absolutely immaculate (36k's), but by the time I have the money (a week or two) I have a feeling it will be sold. It's actually the same colour scheme as yours - it's on an ebay auction starting at $3000 but there have been no bids as yet and tomorrow is the last day. I have emailed the ownber with a few questions but assume they are not interested in dealing with me as I was honest and said I wasn't a genuine buyer for two weeks. That said, the market for old bikes isn't that great, so unless there's someone specifically looking for one I'd say there's a chance it might still be there.

If you could send me any info about yours that'd be great as I will keep it in mind.
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Neka79 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:08 am

considered a zzr600 or zx6r ??
if u look u MAY find one of either (early) around the $3k mark..or if u can hold off a bit $4k mite get u there??
i saw a naked streetfighter 98 (i think) zx6r at Bills today, looks like its been dropped, for abt $3500 i reckon...keep ur eyes open...
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900
State: South Australia

Postby Shifty » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:23 pm

I want something a bit different. Currently I'm riding a GPX600 which is essentially the -89 model of the ZZR600, so really it's not much of an upgrade. A ZX6R would be nice, but parts, insurance and maintenance costs are an issue on something so highly strung. And while I prefer 4 cylinders, I do prefer bigger ones for a little lazier acceleration so the 900 fits the bill nicely.
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Neka79 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:41 pm

hmm is see ur point...a naked streetfighter zx6r would b different...
Neka
2006 Zeddy 1000
1996 VS series 2 S pak Ute
Neka79

Bike: Z900
State: South Australia

Postby Shifty » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:35 pm

Well I finally got to take one for a bash, and I'm sold. Main points:

I see what they mean about the engine
It's bloody tops! Sounds fairly angry for a stock bike, behaves quite well and that lazy torque just builds into a big grin once the revs pick up.

Those 36k's are genuine
The whole thing felt like it was brand new! Everything works perfectly and nothing is loose, wobbly or worn. The bike appears to have been under cover for much of it's life, and apart from the occasional few marks you'd expect on a 20yo bike it's pretty neat. Due to age it has copped a new chain & sprockets, reco'd calipers and a new timing chain, but apart from that and a horrible sticker (put on when the chain was fitted) it's very original.

I worried more about the weight than I needed to
I didn't notice it on low speed manouvres, if anything with the lower centre of gravity it actually felt lighter than my GPX600. Cornering at speed will take some getting used to, but you can only get so good at it on a 5 minute test ride in a 70km/h residential area. Rather than complaining about the weight, I'm more inclined to complain about the 16" front tyre!

The sidestand is ridiculous
What pinhead decided to put the stand THERE? It took me about 30 seconds to get it down properly, despite knowing exactly where it was. If I didn't like centre stands so much for servicing, I'd be pulling it off for some more room to get at the sidestand which obviously gets daily use.

Not long to go now!
Ten days until I pick it up - the guy only rides it once a week to and from work to keep everything spinning, and has said he won't ride it again :)
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby mike-s » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:22 pm

Sweet as!!! how much coin will you be parting for for this delightful bit of machinery?
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

State: New South Wales

Postby Shifty » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:32 pm

Sweet as!!!

I thought so :D

How much coin will you be parting for for this delightful bit of machinery?

$3400. That's with a roadworthy, new chain and sprockets, new fork seals, new front tyre, reco'd front calipers, machined front discs, and a new water pump, all done in the last 6-12 months and it's hardly been ridden as the wife won't let him! Aside from the water pump that's all stuff I'd have been doing in the first few months anyway out of my own pocket, so I reckon it's a steal!
Shifty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

PreviousNext

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion