GPX750R resurrection

All GPx and GPz Models

Flick Of The Switch

Postby Mister_T » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Since the tank is off I figured it might be a good time to pull off the upper triple clamp and look into dismantling and cleaning the igniton switch. That was the idea but the upper clamp does not want to come off. Maybe a gear puller would help but I'll consider that a last resort.
gpx750r_tank_off.jpg
So much blackness
gpx750r_tank_off.jpg (113.6 KiB) Viewed 290 times

Sometimes the switch would take a bit of jiggery pokey to get the bike to light up. Whether a new 5-wire repro from ebay would be any better than a cleaned up 30 year old OEM part is open to debate. For now I'll make do with cleaning the connector for the ignition switch.
gpx750r_ignition_sw_connector.jpg
Not great but not real bad either
gpx750r_ignition_sw_connector.jpg (62.28 KiB) Viewed 290 times

The spades are not quite as bad as they look in the pic but there is a bit of greenery growing there.
Since a little cleanup up and shoving the connector back together firmly the switching has been quite reliable so far.
I'm getting less than 1 ohm resistance across the switched power terminals so that will be ok for a while. The ignition switch is held on with shear bolts so the upper clamp would still have to come off one way or another. I'll let some squirts of Inox work their magic and try again some other time.
Mister_T
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPx750
State: Victoria

Re: Flick Of The Switch

Postby Mister_T » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:38 pm

The Inox worked its magic and the upper triple clamp was able to be removed with careful application of a hitting stick.
The ignition switch came out without any bother and is actually pretty clean inside.
gpx750r_ignition_switch_dismantled.jpg
After a minor cleanup is goes straight back together
gpx750r_ignition_switch_dismantled.jpg (61.16 KiB) Viewed 275 times

The kill switch will probably be dirtier as the right hand switch block sits out in all weathers.
Mister_T
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Re: Flick Of The Switch

Postby Mister_T » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 pm

This is the live power terminal feeding into the ignition switch.
gpx750r_ignition_switch_power_terminal.jpg
This can be improved
gpx750r_ignition_switch_power_terminal.jpg (60.85 KiB) Viewed 262 times
Mister_T
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Re: Another one bites the dust

Postby Mister_T » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:27 am

What is inside an errant Nichiwa X05FN plug cap?
gpx750r_spark_plug_cap_contents.jpg
Konnichiwa Nichiwa
gpx750r_spark_plug_cap_contents.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 245 times

The brass plug which connects to the spark plug can be unscrewed with some effort. The red thing is the ceramic resistor and it is spring loaded against the brass plug.
In this case the resistor actually meters fine.The problem is at the upper end of the spring where it is corroded. Somewhere inside the top of the plug cap there is a gap between the terminal and the spring. Sealed off as it is you would think there would never be any problem but there you go.

In theory the spring could be cleaned up but getting deep inside the plug cap to clean up the insides would be rather difficult.
gpx750r_spark_plug_cap_spring.jpg
gpx750r_spark_plug_cap_spring.jpg (39.85 KiB) Viewed 245 times

To convert a plug cap like this one to a non-resistor type all you would have to do is cut a small metal rod to same length as the resistor and swap it in.
Mister_T
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Previous

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion