ZZR1100 ride hieght adjustment.

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

ZZR1100 ride hieght adjustment.

Postby Thundabird2 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:54 am

Hi Guys, I actually have a serious question here.
After riding my friends ZZR1100 again last week end (the one that converted me to Kawasakis), I noticed that it turns in much quicker than mine. The rear seat also sits up a little higher than mine. It’s the same year bike, and we are using the same tyres, although mine aren’t as ripped up as his. :oops:
In discussing this with him, he explained that he had jacked up the rear of the bike to increase the fork angle.
To do this, he removed the rear eccentric chain adjuster and re-installed it upside down. This raised the rear of the bike about 30-35mm at the fulcrum. After reading other KSRC threads on ride height adjustment, I asked why he did it this way rather than the conventional method of using the ride height adjuster and dropping the front forks through the triple camps.
He explained that that the zzr’s, like earlier 6r’s and 9r’s, had conventional forks. This meant that dropping the forks can lead to the lower part of the fork legs bottoming out on the triple clamp. Seemed pretty logical to me. :idea:
However, on the rear, he explained that the shock had a fair amount of adjustment but was very difficult to get to. I agree with this, little bike and big hands don’t mix too well. Turning the eccentric around gave about the right amount of adjustment that many riders find nice.
I’ve learnt to be pretty handy with the tools over the years, but as there seems to be people around here with much better knowledge than me, I thought I’d ask for some input.
So what do you guys think?
Yoda, Jase, Mattyv?
Life starts at 1100cc!
Thundabird2

re: ZZR1100 ride hieght adjustment.

Postby plane » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:51 pm

Hey Thunderbird,
Flipping the eccentrics is quite a common trick within the ZRX Owners Association. Quite a few of the guys have done this and reported immediate relults.
The first obvious disadvantage is that you can no longer use the chain alignment marks on the swingarm, but string-lining is more effective anyway!
Secondly, remember that as the chain wears the ride height will change as you adjust it.
I've got conventional forks on my '99 ZRX and have dropped them through the clamps (only 3mm) purely to through a little more weight on the front. I also added a flat, "drag" bar as well to get my body weight a little further forward.
My suggestion would be to try flipping the eccentrics and take it for a gentle gallop to see what you rekon.
Cheers,
Pete
Live Fast, Die Sideways
plane
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby MickLC » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:57 pm

Early 9R's had upside down forks, then the C1 in 98 went to conventional, which I understand can be dropped through the forks enough to make a difference without any probs...mine certainly seems to have enough leeway to do it if I wanted to.
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Postby Thundabird2 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:50 am

Thanks guys. That gives me something to play with in the evenings.
Ron, are you the only other 1100 rider around here? Your bike looks to have a new exhaust and screen. What about your suspension?
Life starts at 1100cc!
Thundabird2

Re: re: ZZR1100 ride hieght adjustment.

Postby ronster » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:56 pm

Thundabird2 wrote:Thanks guys. That gives me something to play with in the evenings.
Ron, are you the only other 1100 rider around here? Your bike looks to have a new exhaust and screen. What about your suspension?

Hi TB,

Rode to Adelaide and back recently. When I returned the chain had stretched (Smitty will testify). Couldn't afford a chain that week so rotated the adjusters to the max, (upside down). The ride was marginally better but I'm a big bloke and didn't like the extra height and wrist pressure.

It will improve your ride, mate, give it a try but make sure you align the rim correctly.

The double bubble came from a company in Perth and is extra high (looks a bit weird but I'm 6 1 so keeps the wind off).

I love the sound of the Hindle, it also gives a bit more poke. If I can help with anything just shout mate.

PC
Trees 1 Ronster 0
ronster
Team ZZR

Return to ZZR Discussion