Non working reserve tank fuel tap

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

Non working reserve tank fuel tap

Postby zx9er » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi ZZRians,

I've just picked up a second hand zzr600 1998 E model. I ran out of fuel on the second day I owned it, (only got 200km's out of the tank :-( ) I turned the tap to reserve and it wouldn't restart.

After getting the bike home we took the reserve tap off and tried to blow compressed air through it and no air would go through. We could poke a bit of wire through the reserve nozzle so it wasn't blocked I guess but no fuel or anything else was getting through the tap in the reserve position. After putting everything back together and trying to start it on reserve again sure enough it still wouldn't start. Looking at the fuel filter no fuel was going through to the filter when I pressed the starter button when on reserve. What's happening here? Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas? The bike runs fine on the main tank with the tap turned to on.
Common sense is not my forte
zx9er

Re: Non working reserve tank fuel tap

Postby bonester » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:10 pm

If it is a vacuum tap, it will only flow while set to 'prime'. Otherwise it needs a vacuum source (engine usually) to pull the diaphram and get fuel flowing.
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Daisy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Check the fuel pump. E model doesn't have a vacuum tap. Mine used to be extremely difficult to restart after running out of fuel. The lower part of the tank is below carby level, so it will run on gravity feed on main - but needs to be pumped on reserve. Mine wouldn't pick up the fuel from reserve unless I switched it over before the main ran dry. Then the pump died completely and the bike would only run if it had more than a third of a tank of fuel.
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Postby timeeh » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:29 pm

^My ZX7 (96)had a similar thing, i just made sure if i could start to feel it running out i'd quickly switch while still moving, otherwise you could either run the battery flat (did this a few times) OR after a while i worked out if you leave it sitting for about 5mins it seemed to fire up again, after a few small hits of the starter.
timeeh
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX9R
State: ACT

Postby greenmeanie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:38 pm

My 7R had to switch it over on the fly before cut out otherwise it wouldn't start on reserve unless you clutch started it.
Glenn
2009 ZX10R
greenmeanie
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Postby Frank » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:41 pm

greenmeanie wrote:My 7R had to switch it over on the fly before cut out otherwise it wouldn't start on reserve unless you clutch started it.

My 7 was exactly the same
GO THE BLUES
Life time member of PETA:-
PEOPLE for the EATING of TASTY ANIMALS
Member of SRT
1998 Kawasaki ZX9R Track Bike
2014 Nissan Navara
Frank
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX9R
State: New South Wales

Postby BrettZZR » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:19 pm

So is it a 'priming' issue like the guys above are talking about, or have you filled up again, and now it still runs on "ON" but not on "RES"?
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Return to ZZR Discussion