1994 ZZr600 Oil Change

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

1994 ZZr600 Oil Change

Postby kawimike » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi All,

I am new to the site :D

I have just bought a 1994 ZZr600e and need to do an oil change. I’m a noob and this is my first big bike since passing my test. Although I understand the basics of an oil change, I don’t know how to on this particular model.

From what I can see I need to take the lower fairing off to get at the oil plug and filter. But can anyone talk me through (or show pictures) of how to remove the lower fairing? I don’t want to undo the screws I can see but miss something, thereby breaking the fairings.
Thanks in advance for any help :D
kawimike

Bike: ZZR600
State: Overseas

Re: 1994 ZZr600 Oil Change

Postby BrettZZR » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:24 pm

First a few links: (Let me know when you have them - I don't like leaving them 'shared')

600D Manual
600E Supplement
Worth looking at

Might have a few more odds and sods but that should be enough bedtime reading to piss the missus off completely.

Been a few years since I had my 600 but from memory:
Take the centre strap fairing trim off
Remove lower fairing. Take it all off first time, but later you'll be able to take one side off only.
Pull drain plug.
Replace filter. I made a bent plate widget to stop oil from the filter dribbling onto the exhaust.
No other dramas that I can recall.

Tips:
1. Filter is exactly the same as certain Hondas - CB600 ~2002 if i recall correctly - back then I was able to Honda filters much cheaper - maybe useless info to you tho.
2. Many people get heated about this topic, but do not spend more dosh on bike specific oils. The only car oils you need to avoid are the ones with friction modifyers - read the label. Choose a good synthetic car oil and change it regularly. I use Mobil1. Car oil does not last long in a bike. Bike oil does not last long in a bike. Change regularly.

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Return to ZZR Discussion