Ruby...

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

Ruby...

Postby BrettZZR » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:17 am

Looking slightly better than Miss Daisy's little project, I thought I'd make a thread for my bike and the pictures, ramblings of an old fart, boring accounts of maintenance, and the odd little modification that might slip in...

I guess this is more so I know where to find my stuff... Heh!

To start with, I'm busy with replacing tires (thanks Maccarocks!) and chain (see my n00b chain question thread)... or so I thought:

Got the old girl on blocks. I was toying with getting front and rear 'paddock stands' but I'm not at all sure the the front would clear between the fairing and the front mudguard, and the rear needs bobbins that are not (yet) there, so I did it Gangnam style:
Blocks under the main-stand for some extra height, and jackstands under the forks. Bit ghetto, but it's okay.

Manual says soon as you take the clutch master cyl off, push the piston in and clamp the clutch lever in to stop the piston being pushed out.

Sprocket cover off. A bit grubby, but I've seen worse

As pointed out in the helpful thread stickied on this site, loosen the sprocket nut before removing the chain! I put it in gear, stood on the far side with my foot on the brake and yanked on this

Getting the chain guard off was particularly fiddly with this screw behind the chain and had to be done by feel. One-finger salute well deserved.

Wheel off

10 points for whoever can spot the problem?!
Shit. And I bought this kit from O/S with a bunch of other stuff (that Shorai battery etc). Sent him an email, we'll see what he says.

Rope is holding the caliper high up so I can clean in there with diesel and then solvent without getting any on the brake.

More tomorrow.

(-8
Last edited by BrettZZR on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Re: Ruby...

Postby Jonnymac » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:18 am

Wrong sprocket.........
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Postby BrettZZR » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:19 am

Yep 10 points to you! It has 5 bolt holes instead of 6.

/,8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Daisy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:43 pm

BrettZZR wrote:Looking slightly better than Miss Daisy's little project,

Only at the front. Mine is fine at the back. :P
I was toying with getting front and rear 'paddock stands' but I'm not at all sure the the front would clear between the fairing and the front mudguard, and the rear needs bobbins that are not (yet) there

We can't get a pad type paddock stand under ours as the mufflers are in the way. Also if we put bobbins on it they would hit the mufflers when the swingarm ... well, swings.
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Postby Nelso » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:03 pm

I hope you didn't use your torque wrench to loosen the front sprocket nut! :shock:
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby BrettZZR » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:22 pm

Nelso wrote:I hope you didn't use your torque wrench to loosen the front sprocket nut! :shock:

No WAY! It's a buddies torque wrench...
(-8

Actually lent out my dirty great big bar that I use for making unbelievably tight things more believably tight, so set the torque wrench to close to its max and yanked on it. Afterwards, I undid the nut. It was not very tight at all. Every time I do something on this bike I'm finding stupid sh!t that the planks that must have worked on it before have done wrong.

Found before that the oil filter spring and washer were in wrong, crushing the filter cartridge completely. The two special bolts holding the front of the tank down were 'missing'... Till I took the airbox off - they were there with a mix of others holding the airbox together! I can only shake my head and wonder about the depth of the gene pool...

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby BrettZZR » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Oh - another pearler was there were no circlips holding the rear axle/nut in - both sides. The Yobs had a fix for that - they made the axle nut tighter than the ugliest girl in year seven!

Mutter mutter mutter...

/,8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby BrettZZR » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:46 pm

Also got my leather seat cover the other day, so to start off with I put some leather cream on it. This stuff softens, and more importantly waterproofs the leather. I work it into the stitches, both sides.

Always looks like there is too much on, and just when you think it is going to stay oily, it all gets absorbed and feel as soft as a babys bott... oh hang on - that one somehow sounds wrong these days...
Heh!
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby BrettZZR » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Took off the old cover.

Was going to glue a thin piece of rubber sheet to the flat top bit where the rider sits to give it a bit more firmness, but copped out. Ordinary hand staple gun from Bunnings was mostly good enough. I did give the staples a tap with a small hammer to make sure they were 'home'. Once it has settled a bit and I'm still happy with everything. I'll trim back the excess, and put in more staples.

I'm rather chuffed with the outcome. The shape and stitching were not 100% perfect, but you really need to pull everything up so tight that it didn't matter a bit.
Will post a decent pic of it once the bike is back on it's wheels and washed etc...

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby h.b.bear » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Looks great !! 8)
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby BrettZZR » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:00 am

Got the bike sorted out - made heavy work out of some simple maintenance items...
/,8

Took it out for a short ride this evening. Thought I was falling off in the first corner - the turn-in and lean behavior of the new BT-016s is vastly different to the worn-out and squared off Azaro STs. By the third corner I was happy with the bike and the whole thing seems so much more predictable.

Moar better!

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby BrettZZR » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:40 pm

As promised, some decent pics of the ol' girl sporting fender eliminator (MUUHAHAHAHAhahah!); new rubber and chain, and a newly covered seat.

I do not often get out the Brasso! After the South African military made sure I was proficient in the art of Brasso'ing dustbins for the good of the country, her people and mankind in general, I have an aversion for the stuff!

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fred » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Lookin good!

Fred
Fred
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX14R
State: Queensland

Postby large » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 pm

BrettZZR wrote:As promised, some decent pics of the ol' girl sporting fender eliminator (MUUHAHAHAHAhahah!); new rubber and chain, and a newly covered seat.

I do not often get out the Brasso! After the South African military made sure I was proficient in the art of Brasso'ing dustbins for the good of the country, her people and mankind in general, I have an aversion for the stuff!

(-8

Thats a great looking bike, how many km's on it?

mines a 9/2001 and just hit 101000 kms.

well done with a great ride :kuda:
large
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: South Australia

Postby BrettZZR » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks! Bought it a year ago with ~21,000 km on it, and it now has just clocked 32,000.

Guess it's okay to list the "mods"...

Current:
> ZZR1200 pipes (this was pointed out to me by a buddy - I would never have known... heh!)
> 6-pot Tokico brakes
> 90/100W H4 bulb (ceramic connector)
> K&N filter
> Rear axle adjuster flip
> Fender eliminator :twisted:
> Leather seat cover
> 44 tooth rear sprocket (it's what they had - heh!)
> 33mm bar raisers

Future:
> 'Petal' (or whatever they are called) brake rotors
> LED bulbs everywhere except the headlight (reduced heat and power draw?)
> Stubby silencers - probably custom. (Sadly the custom upswept pipes I had on my ZZR600 back in SA are not a proposition on the 11)
> Cruise control (fully programmable electronic with a few custom widgets to make it bike-friendly)
> Painted rims - bronze to match the Tokicos?
> CF hugger

Dreamin':
> USD forks and Ohlin rear shock (Yeah, like I can ride anywhere near fast enough to need it - ROFL!)
> Conversion to Fuel Injection? What the hell - I'm dreaming anyway...

(-8
Last edited by BrettZZR on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Next

Return to ZZR Discussion