Leaking radiator hose D model

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

Leaking radiator hose D model

Postby Matty C » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Hey Folks
I've just got back form a ride to the central coast and it was restricted due to a leaking radiator hose. I have had the bike for 18 months and put 30 K on her and never ever checked the coolant level :oops:. Over the last week I have had time to clean her up with a tube of autosol and a toothbrush and she looks beautiful, last night as I was mucking around thought I might add some water to the coolant as I could not see its level under the seat (the tank is lined with rust scale). After getting a little warm in traffic I noticed a dirty rusty leak had occurred, after stopping at a friend's place and removing the lower fairing I decided that it was from the central hose that is the hardest to get at. I stuffed around and by the time I found a bike shop it was closed... So I went to super cheap and bought a radiator hose that was the same diameter but did not have the tools with me to undo the hose clips. Anyway filled the overflow tank with water and kept a cautious eye on the temperature gauge all the way home even shutting down at lights when there was a wait but she never heated up more than normal.

So I am wondering what the problem is... The bike always seemed to heat up quick when not moving but the the fan would come on and cool it suitably. Is it because I added water? The bike behaves like it always has and never even reached the temp to engage the cooling fan. I was planning to replace the hose and clean the system using kero and then add a proper anti corrosion/freeze coolant but then maybe there is no problem. I rode around 90 km on the freeway and about 30 in built up areas. Anyone have any Ideas?? Is it possible that there was always very little coolant in the system?

I appreciate any responses...

Cheers
Matt
PS the ZZR 1100 is a sweeeeeeet ride :D
It's the closest thing to flying...
Matty C

Bike: ZZR1100
State: New South Wales

Re: Leaking radiator hose D model

Postby Matty C » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Anyway I found the part number online and ordered it from Sydney City Motorcycles $34.18. Hopefully it will be in tomorrow... Just gotta get it on now, also got some radiator cleaner and coolant.

Cheers
Matt
It's the closest thing to flying...
Matty C

Bike: ZZR1100
State: New South Wales

Return to ZZR Discussion