What a mission

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

What a mission

Postby danniboi1985 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:38 pm

so i took possesion of my new toy last week (a zzr250) tooke her for a spin after the roadworthy.
the fellow who i bought t from cleaned the carbies out for me as it had been sitting for 5 years, after my first succesful run then failing to start on me-i emptied my fuel tank the sat it upright with the tank on "prime" and let it flow out and what came out was the color of a nice strong tea (fuel was 5 years old..yes 5!!)poured this into a 10L bucket, then left the lid off and put it beside my house to evaporate- i also used it to clean my air filter.
however a bit of shit went into my carbies after i filled up with new premium, as it had no fuel filter- so then i had to strip down my carbies and blow them out then re assemble, and do it all again becuase the left side flooded again, and now i am having a bit of difficulty with idle speeds and i think the carbies need to be balanced as when its warm i can set the idle to 3000 rpm, twist the throttle and then when it settles it goes down to 1500, or sits high on 6ooo or stalls.
but this is a bike that hasnt been ridden in 5 years
(yes i also changed spark plugs as they were stuffed, put new oil and coolant in) and i put some new dunlops on it too.
bought the bike for 1750 and with roadworthy rego (was a WA bike-now its victorian) and bits and pieces its cost an extra 1300 so far, ive got my eyes on some aftermarket faring from a place in vic- (600)
then i will be done- its my learning bike-i will upgrade in 6 months not sure what to yet though. i have to pass on my thanks to this little purple pocket rocket, as when i started out i had no idea about bike maintenance.. and now i do, i can take the fairing and tank off in under a minute haha.
hopefully when i get home on the 17th its not raining and i can take it for a spin (managed to get 120ks on it on my last week home, even with the terrible weather)
if any one is in gippsland and interested in a ride over xmas pm me!
iNSERT CLEVER REMARK HERE
FIRST BIKE: 1993 ZZR250
danniboi1985

Bike: ZZR250
State: Victoria

Re: What a mission

Postby waynemorgan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Well done on going from never having done maintenance to stripping the carbys. Getting them sync'd would help and I'd suggest checking and oiling your throttle cables (do the clutch cable while you're at it.

Have you checked the valve clearances? Worth a look as well - might as well get it all sorted to start with.

Good luck with it...they can certainly be addictive :kuda: :kuda:
I don't like the term insane - I prefer mentally hilarious!
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZZR600
State: New South Wales

Re: What a mission

Postby mikk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:16 am

nice story mate

they're a great bike to learn on, both ride wise and mechanical wise.

good luck and hope the weather gets good
mikk
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Return to ZZR Discussion