ZZR250 Fairing (and other body parts) Help

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

ZZR250 Fairing (and other body parts) Help

Postby bike_nub » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Howdy all you helpful people 8)

IMG_2005-0.JPG
IMG_2005-0.JPG (69.83 KiB) Viewed 5320 times

Recently bought my first ever bike (ZZR250). I got it at a reasonable price due to the following reasons:
- Bike dropped on clutch side. Previous owner bought aftermarket fairings but didn't put the effort to put them on correctly (some are forced into positions and all the wrong bolts and nuts were used - unoriginal)
- some fairings are cracked while being put on
- front wheel alignment slightly out (not really noticeable during riding)
- needs new mirrors both sides
- I need to get a roadworthy, but it does have Rego till September

What I have done so far:
- Ordered a whole new set of fairing and windscreen bolts from pro-bolt
- ordered Q-bond to fix fairings (couldn't find plastex)
- stripped all fairings off the bike
- removed fairing brackets, which turned out to be bent (probably the cause of the poor fairing alignment from the previous owner)
- cleaned up throttle body to make throttle return quickly

So while I am waiting for the nuts and bolts and q-bond, maybe the members can help with some other questions I have.

1. Can anyone suggest any aftermarket mirror sellers or mirrors from other bikes that will fit?

2. Is the size of gap below the fuel tank normal? is there some sort of rubber mould missing?
IMG_0130.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg (42.16 KiB) Viewed 5320 times

3. The front indicators dont fit into the fairings correctly. How do they fit in the original fairings? Is there any glue/sealant that I can use to keep them in permanently on these aftermarket fairings?
IMG_0133.jpg
IMG_0133.jpg (70.09 KiB) Viewed 5320 times

IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg (48.74 KiB) Viewed 5320 times

Cheers for the help :kuda: Hope to be on the road soon 8)
Last edited by bike_nub on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
bike_nub

Bike: ZZR250
State: Victoria

Re: ZZR250 Fairing (and other body parts) Help

Postby Cwidova » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:50 am

the tank usually has a fair gap between it and the frame from memory, althought i think it has a rubber spacer about halfway along the tank......
the indicators mount on the fairing by a hook and a screw....the hook was just a bit that sticks out of the front of the indicator and hooks onto the inner side of the fairing. the screw goes through a hole on the indicator at the back end of the indicator and a tab on the fairing, which also looks to be broken on yours......
'06 ZX6R
'10 FE390
Cwidova
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R

Postby bike_nub » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Cwidova wrote:the tank usually has a fair gap between it and the frame from memory, althought i think it has a rubber spacer about halfway along the tank......
the indicators mount on the fairing by a hook and a screw....the hook was just a bit that sticks out of the front of the indicator and hooks onto the inner side of the fairing. the screw goes through a hole on the indicator at the back end of the indicator and a tab on the fairing, which also looks to be broken on yours......

Thanks for the reply. These fairings are missing the tab so i'll just glue in the indicators with urethane bond which is waterproof, flexible, fills gaps and dries clear. I have to use some sealant anyway because the indicator is not a perfect fit into this aftermarket fairing, so i'll need to carve out the shape with a dremel tool.

Got my Q-bond and fairing screw set today so i'll give it all a go on the weekend.
bike_nub

Postby bike_nub » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Some more questions:

1. Do these bikes have an off position for the fuel petcock like the Ninja250 wiki states? Any tips when emptying the fuel tank...I wanna get rid of all the crap petrol and install a fuel filter?

2. Any great consumable suppliers for this bike in Vic? My local Kawa dealer doesn't even sell the oil filters with o-rings and washers, I have to buy them seperate.

Thanks
bike_nub

Postby Johnnie5 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:35 pm

the fuel tap has 2 positions iirc

prime which means fuel flows all the time

On which is vacuum operated when the engine runs , fuel shouldnt flow with motor off
Johnnie5
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby bike_nub » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:51 am

Johnnie5 wrote:the fuel tap has 2 positions iirc

prime which means fuel flows all the time

On which is vacuum operated when the engine runs , fuel shouldnt flow with motor off

thanks mate, i removed the tank in the off position and it didn't spill much
bike_nub

Postby mikk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:37 am

the gap between the frame and the tank is about 3-4 mm on mine. there is a short rubber spacer about 2cm long rounghly under the small k on the right side and the same distance on the left. that's how it bolts in

aftermarket fairings can be a bit of a pain. looks like the bits your indicators are meant to mount to are broken. yes, dremel the hole out carefully to the right size. my indicators sit flush with the stock fairings.
mikk
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby bike_nub » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:25 am

mikk wrote:the gap between the frame and the tank is about 3-4 mm on mine. there is a short rubber spacer about 2cm long rounghly under the small k on the right side and the same distance on the left. that's how it bolts in

aftermarket fairings can be a bit of a pain. looks like the bits your indicators are meant to mount to are broken. yes, dremel the hole out carefully to the right size. my indicators sit flush with the stock fairings.

Thanks Mikk. I'm trying to make a bracket today to hold the indicator in...i'll see how it goes
bike_nub

Postby ZZR250-PT » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:11 pm

This might be a silly thing to say but have you tried the local wreckers champ?
Loving the restore job you're doing, keep the pics coming, she's looking great!
"Don't Cry Because It's Over. Smile Because It Happened."
ZZR250-PT

Return to ZZR Discussion