ZZR600 top box

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

ZZR600 top box

Postby 95ZZR600 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi, I'm new here. I got my bike 2 weeks ago and ride it to work almost everyday and love it :)

As i intend to use the bike for almost all my transportation i'm keen to get some storage space. I've been looking online for a few hrs for a rack and top box for my bike.

Can anyone recommend where i may get a rack and top box for a reasonable price?
95ZZR600

Bike: ZZR600
State: New South Wales

Re: ZZR600 top box

Postby waynemorgan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:48 pm

Welcome aboard :)

Plenty of options for a topbox - MCAS has a fairly wide choice. As for the rack...not sure but someone will come along soon with an answer for you ;)
I don't like the term insane - I prefer mentally hilarious!
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Ratmick » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Givi make a rack and the top plate to fit a ZZR600, I had one on my '98.

Found a pic.

meandthezzr.jpg
Ignore the fast bastard sitting on it...
meandthezzr.jpg (59.32 KiB) Viewed 6045 times

These guys import them (well they used to):

RON ANGEL WHOLESALE PTY LTD
33 Macquarie Drive - Thomastown Victoria 3074
tel. 61 3 9464 3366
fax. 61 3 9464 3386
mailto:gsammut@ronangel.com.au

They don't sell to the public but they will be able to tell you where the nearest dealer is (they will sell you a new lock and key if you lose yours I discovered).

I have one on my Hornet, I liked the ZZR one so much. I got both of mine through Peter Stevens in Elizabeth Street down in Melbourne.

HTH, Mick 8)
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Victoria

Postby 95ZZR600 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

Nice pic Mick, it looks good. Do you recall how much that rig set you back?

I went to the MCAS web site, thanks Wayne, and found an Rjay Topbox for $99.95. It said the product includes a 'Mounting Kit' so i've asked them, via web site, if that is all i need to fit it to the bike.

If so it'll be a VERY cheap option. Then there will be less occasion where it's necessary for me to take a car :kuda:

I kind of assume i'll also need a rack to mount it on though.

Thanks again guys :)
95ZZR600

Postby Ratmick » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:16 pm

The Givi option isn't cheap, paying for it is almost like passing a kidney stone.

You need the rack and the top plate and the actual bag. All up over $600 if I recall correctly.

Mick 8)
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Postby 95ZZR600 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:26 am

Ouch $600 I only bought the bike for $2800...had to replace chain & sprockets ($310) and still need to do the rear brake pads, not much left.
I haven't inspected the front pads yet, they work 'ok' but will prob need doing soon also. All in all will cost normal price in total once purchase and parts added up but with new stuff on it and had my first tinker fitting the stuff :)

Don't think i'd do it for $600 but may have too...I found a few topbox's for around $100. One a guy had photos he's carried a carton of beer in his! Now to hunt where i might get a rack to fit cheap...if possible, Hmmm :?

The Givi one's do look good though :twisted:
95ZZR600

Postby Ratmick » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:07 am

The rack is a bespoke device that only fits one bike, hence the cost. It will come with a top plate to suit. You can possibly pick a cheap top box to fit on eBay just be aware that Givi have a few different types of top plate which require different top boxes and your rack will only support one type.

Have a look here: http://www.givi.it/My-motorcycle/?ma=KA ... 600-93--01

The reason for the cost is that the quality is top-notch and they are 100% waterproof.

A minor downside is that the instructions are pretty ordinary. I have come across this before with machinery built in Italy. The Italians generally speaking have a great flair for design and their engineering can be spot-on but they have an annoying habit of leaving minor finer details (like instructions) a bit lacking :lol:. I also find the Japanese do this a bit, I put a factory screen on my Hornet and while the product itself is typical Japanese the instructions were a series of diagrams on a piece of paper the size of a postcard...wtf is with that, is paper expensive in Japan?

BTW while the rack on my Hornet didn't require anything special in the way of fitment (it mounted using the exhaust mounting bolts), my old ZZR required a couple of holes drilled in the rear ducktail subframe. They can't be seen and it's a non-structural area rear of the pillion, but keep it in mind.

thks, Mick
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Return to ZZR Discussion