ZZR250 won't idel

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

ZZR250 won't idel

Postby DanJes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi All,
New on the forum. I've been reading some very informative materials on this site and help me a lot in some problem i encountered with my bike. I Ride ZX6R as my weekend ride 02 model with 636 engine. Last carby model.
I also have ZZR 250 for my weekdays ride witch is giving me problem at the moment. I hope someone can help me or guide me to the right direction. As per normal in ZZR 250, the bike wont idle. She is happy to rev but of you release the throttle she struggle to hold in idle and die.

What I've done on the bike was:
Strip the carby
removed the jet needle, pilot jet needle, jet holder, main jet, float and needle and the diaphragm.
Cleaned the carby by soaking in the ultrasonic cleaner with degrease 25% and water 75%, water temperature was about 20deg. Soak it for 15 min in the ultrasonic cleaner and blow all jets with compress air.All cleaned like new. No damage on the jets.
Put back all together and the all jets in designated carby. Set the pilot screw in 2.5turns
Install the carby to the engine. check all hose and install the airbox. (pain int he neck to install)

I stared the engine but the problem still persist. The bike idle at 3500rpm, if i put into 1st gear the idle drop, once i accelerate it stay back in 3500rpm and after a few sec. it will drop slowly to 1000rpm and die. I have not done yet the carby balancing because the bike won't idle. I double check if there's any air leak, but all are intact. The only thing that i did not check when assembling is the float height. According to the manual its 17mm +/- 2mm. therefore the tolerance is not too critical. Any Input from you guys is highly appropriated.

Regards, Danjes
DanJes

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: ZZR250 won't idel

Postby ShamZX11 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:50 am

Hi DanJes,

For ZZR250, the idling problem is not due to carburetor alone. You have serviced the carb and problem still persist, most probably it's not the carb issue. Need to check the valve clearance and ensure the timing chain/ camshaft/ camholder in a good shape (change if required). Once done, you will have better idling and can continue with the carby balancing.
If Speed Kills, I'm A Dead Man.
ShamZX11
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZZR250
State: Overseas

Postby DanJes » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi ShamZX,
Thank you for your input, The guys i bought it from told me that the top end was rebuild, new ring, cam shaft bearing, pins and shim adjusted. no tappet on the engine sound really healthy. I Replaced the carby from the wrecker and do the carby cleaning again using the ultrasonic cleaner, i run the cleaner for 45 min with 25 dec. water temeperature, all dirt and all jets was so clean like new, after cleaning and put back all the jets and nidlle to the carby. turn the petrol tank to prime to fill petrol in the bowl,start the engine and WALA! the bike start and idle as 1200 but i set to 1500 to make sure it wont stall. Done the carby balance.Take it for a ride and she run smoothly. Problem solve.
Now after a week of idling on the garage, i starter her again and she start but the idling is rough, after about 10 min. in 3krpm using the chock, that's the time i can get a decent idling.
Is the ZZR 250 take that long to warm up?
I take him for a ride again today and covered 27klm and she run smoothly.

In conclusion i need to find the sequence of starting this bike.
It will be interesting to know your input.

Cheers,
DanJes

Postby ShamZX11 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:42 am

Now I get the whole picture. It's a normal behavior when you're not start the bike for a week. That's why motobike need to start daily even no plan for riding. After released the choke, quickly ram the throttle about 5~6k rpm a few times before it can idling as normal. Or else you will need to hold the choke for a while. Try it out and see which one more suits your bike. :D
If Speed Kills, I'm A Dead Man.
ShamZX11
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZZR250
State: Overseas

Postby Tack » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:27 am

If it won't idel...as you say...then maybe it needs a little tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFHujvkacNY

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(sorry couldn't resist)
I live with fear everyday but on weekends she lets me ride.
Tack
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Postby DanJes » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:19 pm

Hi Tack,

That'ss a good tune.
I hope my ZZR sing as smooth as the tune.
DanJes

Postby mike-s » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:09 pm

I wouldn't say it needs to be started "daily", perhaps you need to make sure there's a fuel filter in there and put some carby cleaner in the next tankful to help flush any extra crap out. At most i would say turn it over once every week or two if you're able to, starting it once a day just to warm it up and clear the float bowls isn't necessary and likely a bad thing as the most engine damage comes when you start the engine from cold and just leave it idling for a while as there is often barely enough oil pressure to avoid excessive wear when it's just ticking over slowly. I would suggest starting it once every 2-3 weeks for the sake of "giving it a run" at the MOST often.

My rf900 has started second go after nearly 2 months of non-use. It coughed and farted. It didn't start first go as i gave it insufficient choke the first time through. Second time took a good 5-6 seconds winding and it was fine. The gsx250 can sometimes take a bit of winding over when its been left for a while, but i wouldn't go as far as starting it daily.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki

Postby DanJes » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi All,

Just an update about my ZZR250.
I readjusted the fuel mixture again, it's now about 3.5 turns and the bike idle perfectly.
Start every time without using the chock, but is still use the chock and let it idle in 3k rpm for about 45-60sesc.
then pull out, she idle on 1500rpm for a safe side, run perfectly.
After dismantling the carby few times i can say i almost master this type or carby.

Happy Ending after all the hard work.

Thank you all for your input.

Louie
DanJes

Return to ZZR Discussion